Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Big Fat Friday

The Forum Legend
    Actually, thinking about it, I have a story about a (non-ticketed) event, which was pretty much the equivalent of making Hipsters ticketed for those travelling.

On the odd occasion, I used to go down to Minstead (near Southampton), for the dances on the last Friday of the month.

Hadn't been for a couple of months, but got a few friends together, and we took a car down.

To find that we couldn't get in, because it was full (all the regulars knew that you had to get there early, and of course, coming from London on a Friday night, with the lousy traffic etc. we hadn't arrived until about 10pm).

Luckily, there was also a freestyle on at Portsmouth, which isn't too far away, and we were able to get there instead.

But it can be a bit of a pain, taking the chance on going, if you haven't arranged it in advance. At least, if it was ticketed, advertised as such, and you could get the tickets on the phone or website before you arrived, it would save a 4 hour round trip in vain.

Steve

Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Wonder if those people are on the forum, know Hipsters regulars, or go there on a regular basis then Chris....
    Touché

Chris

Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Last Tuesday had loads of people I hadn't seen for ages which was really nice. And last night had loads of people I'd never seen before, which was equally nice.

Absolutely
    Will I be Back?
    Of course I will be going again.

See you soon then Andy

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Originally posted by Sylph
    See you soon then Andy
    All I've got to do now is work out who, from the many lovely sylphs I danced with last night, is the Sylph

Re: Too busy.

Originally posted by ChrisA
    I very nearly wish I hadn't bothered.

I hate to say it, but despite the wall-to-wall brilliant dancers there, if it's as busy at the next BFFF, I won't be going to the one after that.

Absolutely heaving, it was. JB played a terrific set, but it was just impossible to dance to any of it for most of the evening. A major achievement to get to the end of a track with no injury to oneself or partner.

And, of course, we had the usual bunch of inconsiderate, clueless morons determined to inflict their aerials and floor-level drops on those around them. I actually stopped dancing when some complete f*****t did a dangerous aerial right next to me - I stopped him too with a (very restrained) tap on the shoulder and asked him to tone it down...

Do I sound grumpy? I guess I do, cos I guess I am. I've been a Hipsters regular for more than a year now, but I'm beginning to think that maybe it's too much of a victim of its own success.

Ok, here's the controversial bit: the monthly Fridays need to be ticket only, tickets to be sold only at the Hipsters week nights. Flame away

On the plus side, some dances that were pure delight for me, with some of my bestest favourites - thanks and big hugs to them

Chris
    Chris I have posted a comment on your all ticket idea in the 'Let's talk about dance section' on Crowd Capacity - it was too crowded no doubt about that

Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

All I've got to do now is work out who, from the many lovely sylphs I danced with last night, is the Sylph
    I know.

And I'm not telling.

........unless you pay me lots of money.

M

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Originally posted by Mary
    I know.

And I'm not telling.

M
    Aha! So the Sylph is obviously not the sylph-like Mary.

The investigation continues...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

I know.
    And I'm not telling.
    M
    Aha! So the Sylph is obviously not the sylph-like Mary.
    Well, you can't, of course, infer that from Mary's post, Andy.

Maybe you have an additional information source

There are plenty of covert operatives still around from the Department of Wiggling. Maybe it's one of them?

Chris

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Well, you can't, of course, infer that from Mary's post, Andy.

Maybe you have an additional information source

There are plenty of covert operatives still around from the Department of Wiggling. Maybe it's one of them?

Chris
    You are of course right. Maybe Mary is a double agent for DS and has invented the Sylph persona to bamboozle us and introduce cheap, imported wiggles.

Does this mean we need to revert to the Hollow Tree? Can anyone remember where it is?

Re: Too busy.

I very nearly wish I hadn't bothered.

Ok, here's the controversial bit: the monthly Fridays need to be ticket only, tickets to be sold only at the Hipsters week nights. Flame away
    Not flaming you in anyway Chris, but would point out a couple of things before we start going down the "ticket only" route.

1. Whilst well attend, Hipsters Friday has never been that packed before, and I don't doubt that that is in no small part down to the fact that Casbah & St Marys were shut. Hipsters was therefore the only venue in London that was open to my knowledge. I personally saw lots of St Mary's regulars there, and I suspect the same can be said for the Casbah.

2. There were alot of tables and chairs out on Friday. If Hipsters remains this busy then alot of them can be cleared out before you have to start restricting numbers.

3. Personally I'd advocate finding a bigger venue (easier said than done I know!) before resorting to limiting ticket sales.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

You are of course right. Maybe Mary is a double agent for DS and has invented the Sylph persona to bamboozle us and introduce cheap, imported wiggles.

Does this mean we need to revert to the Hollow Tree? Can anyone remember where it is?
    oops......

I can only say that I am horrified at your suggestion Andy

My wiggles are genuine and come with the highest recommendation.

Re: Re: Too busy.

Originally posted by Will
    1. Whilst well attend, Hipsters Friday has never been that packed before, and I don't doubt that that is in no small part down to the fact that Casbah & St Marys were shut. Hipsters was therefore the only venue in London that was open to my knowledge. I personally saw lots of St Mary's regulars there, and I suspect the same can be said for the Casbah.
    I certainly take this point. When I said:
    if it's as busy at the next BFFF, I won't be going to the one after that.
    ... in my original rant, I realised it could be a one off.

I fear that the Fridays will follow the same pattern as Tuesdays, though. These have become so popular in recent months that they're above many people's enjoyment level. Recent Hipsters posts suggest that it's dropped off a bit - so I might give it another try in a week or two.

But the fact still remains, Will, that you're amongst those for whom people make more space. Fair play to you, but no matter how busy it is, it will always, I believe, seem less so to you than it does to most.
    2. There were alot of tables and chairs out on Friday. If Hipsters remains this busy then alot of them can be cleared out before you have to start restricting numbers.
    True. But there still needs to be somewhere for bags, coats, non-dancers. You don't reclaim for dancing anywhere near all the space generated by losing the tables.
    3. Personally I'd advocate finding a bigger venue (easier said than done I know!) before resorting to limiting ticket sales.
    Agree with this.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisA; 4th-January-2004 at 01:13 PM.

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Originally posted by Sylph
    oops......

I can only say that I am horrified at your suggestion Andy

My wiggles are genuine and come with the highest recommendation.

I have looked up the meaning of sylph and found one that makes me wonder.

sylph 1. An elemental spirit of the air. 2. a slender graceful woman or girl. 3. any humming bird of the genus Aglaiocercus with a long forked tail.

Number 3 sounds imported to me

Are there any humming birds in Smurf I wonder....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

I know.

And I'm not telling.
    I know too Had a dance or two

It was good to put another face to a forum name.

Sorry Andy, I'm not letting on either

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Originally posted by RobC
    I know too Had a dance or two

It was good to put another face to a forum name.

Sorry Andy, I'm not letting on either
    Now I would like to think I can eliminate RobC from my list of suspects. The following equation can safely be proposed.

RobC =/= Sylph

I think I can feel a bit of algebra looming

Way too busy for me; ended up with two bruises on my feet Didn't even get to wiggle with Andy. Did get to wiggle with the rest

I think bigger venue would be great; but where????

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Pammy
    Way too busy for me; ended up with two bruises on my feet Didn't even get to wiggle with Andy. Did get to wiggle with the rest
    Pammy and I did exchange grins through the crowds - we just never got a chance to turn them into grinces

I'm convinced that last Friday was a one-off due to other venues being closed and it being the holiday season. Loads of people who don't usually go to Hipsters were there - I'm a Hipsters regular and even I don't usually go on a Friday because it finishes late and we have to do the school run the following morning.

That particular configuration of first Friday following new year probably wont happen for a few years so we don't need to worry too much. Next year the equivalent Friday is new-years eve itself so the Big Fat Friday Freestyle will be the following Friday, well past the end of festivities

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

RobC =/= Sylph
    I'll tell you it's not me either, but of course you know I'm not schizophrenic?

Greg

PS Isn't it BPFF not BFFF?

Happy feet and ears

Wow! Hipsters friday was the most crowded I've ever seen any venue anywhere.

I was trying to be grouchy about not having space to dance, but I kept bumping into people I hadn't seen for years and just kept having fun. It seemed every single person I've ever met was there! Unreal. As said, they needed an extra room or two.

JB even played stacks of good chart music. I had happy ears.
    Last edited by JamesGeary; 5th-January-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Originally posted by Sheepman
    PS Isn't it BPFF not BFFF?
    [anorak]

Nope. According to the official flyers, it's:

B'F'FF, or possibly even TB'F'FF.

[/anorak]

Chris,

Thread Information