Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Big Fat Friday

The Forum Legend
    It's true I tell you.

These people do exist!

Steve

Re: Re: Too busy.

Originally posted by Sylph
    Ditto. I was fortunate to dance with Amir, David, Viktor and Andy (swoon, swoon!) and managed to grab Greg, Andy McG,Tony and quite a few other really good dancers whose names I don't know. Think I'll have sweet dreams tonight!
    I didn't get to dance with any of the above and some other forum favourites- lucky to get a dance with David B, oh and I had a very fast rock and roll one with Nigel ( dances with Nigel are precious, I wish it was slower)

I agree with everything ChrisA said - what a waste of what could have been a fantastic evening - far too many people and lots of inconsiderate dancers

Nice meeting you Sylph

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

Originally posted by Minnie M
    Nice meeting you Sylph
    Good to meet you too and thanks again for your list

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

Originally posted by Boomer
    Tuesday
    Oh well.

Ask me about their dirty dancing workshop I went to, sometime...

... it was probably my fault though, cos I'm a bit too shy for that sort of thing...

Re: Re: Too busy.

I was fortunate to dance with Amir, David, Viktor and Andy (swoon, swoon!) and managed to grab Greg, Andy McG,Tony and quite a few other really good dancers whose names I don't know. Think I'll have sweet dreams tonight!
    I've watched what goes on quite carefully at some of the exceptionally busy nights, after an interesting conversation with Nigel one evening... I had had a night similar to tonight - far too busy, couldn't move despite huge effort to keep it small, stay in the slot, avoid the maniacs, etc. But he said he reckoned it was about right, or maybe just a touch too busy.

Ok, I thought... Nigel's floorcraft is second to none, but is mine really that crap????

So next time, I watched Nigel, Amir, Viktor, Mick, James, and a few other big names.

Fact is, people give 'em more space. It's a bugger, it ain't fair, but that's the truth. They dance in a bubble - people move out of their way.

Girls - you want space on a busy night? Dance with the names.

Am I jealous? Of course I am.

Chris

Originally posted by TheTramp
    It's true I tell you.

These people do exist!
    Ok, 1 removed then, max, though only cos I'm feeling exceptionally charitable.

More than that, I need some convincing.

I defy you to find anyone that (a) wants to go on a Friday and (b) wouldn't be there via forum acquaintance or knowing an H regular.

Chris

Why not have more than one a month - demand seems to be there?
    Thats why I did not bother going last night, why drive 2 hours each way to be crushed, will be at Woking tonight tho.

If Tuesdays gets to busy why not try Dorking Halls - from 13th Jan I will be the regular DJ there every Tuesday [plug plug!], not as much swing music as hipsters tho - simmilar to the stuf played at Fleet on NYE
    Peter

Originally posted by ChrisA
    Fact is, people give 'em more space. It's a bugger, it ain't fair, but that's the truth. They dance in a bubble - people move out of their way.
    You are absolutely right Chris - just thought of my very fast rock and roll dance with Nigel last night - we did have lots of space, which is very very strange, mind you it was in a corner at the back of the hall.

I always thought Nigel danced at the edge of the dance floor to be noticed but LL told me he does that to gain more floor space - so maybe that is the answer

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

Originally posted by Minnie M
    You are absolutely right Chris - just thought of my very fast rock and roll dance with Nigel last night - we did have lots of space, which is very very strange, mind you it was in a corner at the back of the hall.

It's funny, thinking of my dance with Nigel, I did seem to have more space than with many other dancers but 'grincing' dosen't take up too much room and he does his fair share!

It would be a good idea to limit the numbers somehow as it was too busy last night but one of the bonuses of the eve was that I danced with many people I've never seen before, therefore it would be a shame to sell tickets only to people who already go, as it might become stale.

P.s. Welcome back James, thanks for the lovely dance!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

Originally posted by Lory
    Welcome back James, thanks for the lovely dance!

Hear hear - welcome back James - saw you dancing on the stage (clever man)

--ooOoo--

Girls - you want space on a busy night? Dance with the names.
    ..but I danced with lots of people not just"names" honest. I agree in principle that dancing is more pleasurable when there isn't a crush but just think that access to jive events should be "accessible to all". A bit like healthcare!
    Am I jealous? Of course I am.
    Chris
    You've no need to be jealous of anyone

Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

just think that access to jive events should be "accessible to all". A bit like healthcare!
    I agree with this, of course.

But a bit like healthcare, it's a scarce resource, which needs to be rationed somehow if the demand for it becomes greater than its supply.

And it's also disappointing to see how rude and inconsiderate some people get when there's such pressure on the resource. It brings out the worst in people. Even during the class there were non-participants barging carelessly across in front of the stage disrupting the efforts fo those at the ends of the lines.

On the subject of ticketing, I was talking somewhat tongue-in-cheek about selling the tickets only on Hipsters week nights. Provided they were available then, it would probably be enough of a weighting in favour of the regulars, without completely stopping others who were determined enough to get one - via the website for instance.

Personally, if I were confident there would be space, I'd be happy to book up many months in advance, too.. and maybe pay a bit more too since it's a bit special.
    You've no need to be jealous of anyone
    You're most kind, but you have the advantage of me

Chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

I agree with this, of course.
    Phew!
    ]
    On the subject of ticketing, I was talking somewhat tongue-in-cheek about selling the tickets only on Hipsters week nights. Provided they were available then, it would probably be enough of a weighting in favour of the regulars, without completely stopping others who were determined enough to get one - via the website for instance.
    Why weight it in favour of anyone? Surely keeping that melting pot mixture is part of the joy of the venue.
    You're most kind, but you have the advantage of me
    I think you'll find I don't

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

Why weight it in favour of anyone? Surely keeping that melting pot mixture is part of the joy of the venue.
    Of course, I'm all for melting pot mixtures too. All I'm saying is that if the tickets for the Fridays were available on the Tuesday and Wednesday, many, maybe most, of them would in practice end up going to the regulars.

The thing is, if H on Fridays becomes regularly as overcrowded as last night, ticketing will become necessary (IMHO), since the level at which it becomes self-limiting is probably too high for most people's comfort.

So how do you sell the tickets? A lottery would be the very fairest, but first-come-first-served does at least favour those that most want to go, since they will put in the maximum effort to be amongst the first - however they are sold.

Chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

Hmmm......

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

tickets for the Fridays were available on the Tuesday and Wednesday, many, maybe most, of them would in practice end up going to the regulars.
    Anti melting-pot policy?
    The thing is, if H on Fridays becomes regularly as overcrowded as last night, ticketing will become necessary (IMHO), since the level at which it becomes self-limiting is probably too high for most people's comfort.
    Agreed
    So how do you sell the tickets? A lottery would be the very fairest, but first-come-first-served does at least favour those that most want to go, since they will put in the maximum effort to be amongst the first - however they are sold.
    For regulars no maximum effort is involved if they're sold at H, while for people who really want to go and can't get there weekdays it makes it impossible

Chris
    You're not trying very hard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

Anti melting-pot policy?
    I didn't say only Tuesday and Wednesday, except tongue-in-cheek, and then I said:
    On the subject of ticketing, I was talking somewhat tongue-in-cheek about selling the tickets only on Hipsters week nights. Provided they were available then, it would probably be enough of a weighting in favour of the regulars, without completely stopping others who were determined enough to get one - via the website for instance
    I don't see this as an anti-melting pot policy at all.

It's the same at Rock Bottoms - a lot of the bookings for the next one get taken at the previous one. But there's no anti-melting- pot policy there either.

It's the same as any "first come first served" system. It's flawed in the sense that it isn't fair (ie equal chances for all), but it isn't exclusive because it doesn't exclude anyone, providing they want to get up early enough to be close enough to the front of the queue.

You're not trying very hard
    It wouldn't be the first time that accusation had been levelled at me

Chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too busy.

I didn't say only Tuesday and Wednesday, except tongue-in-cheek
    OK, glad that's how you meant it although that was not at all obvious at the start . It did sound like trying to make an enclave

It wouldn't be the first time that accusation had been levelled at me
    Chris

Commercial Operator

Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Phew! Take a well deserved morning off the Forum and almost lose track of the debate!

Crowds

I thought the Tuesday before Christmas and last night were absolutely packed. I still had a good time - but not as good as I would have if there'd been more room.

My own thought on this subject is that both nights were a one off - which I know is a bit of a contradiction

Last Tueday was packed with people getting their last fix of dancing before a break for Christmas - so everyone went.

Last night was people getting their first fix of the year after a break for Christmas and the new year - somebody even hired a minibus and drove up from Bournmouth!

Last Tuesday had loads of people I hadn't seen for ages which was really nice. And last night had loads of people I'd never seen before, which was equally nice. Of course, I regarded the new faces as a bit of a challenge to get round everyone and asked them to dance in preference to people I recognised - and I had some lovely dances, let's hope they come back. But quite often I still danced with known women because I think there were men over! I even danced with my own wife - I could have stayed home and done that...

Creating Space to Dance

The dancing on the edge of the floor to create space is something I've been doing for years. But last night it didn't work so well. People were standing in groups at the edge of the dance floor so other people had to walk around them, right into the dancers! Towards the latter half of the night I worked out that the nearer the back you were the less people would be walking past. And who did I find occupying the corner at the back but Nigel, the King of Grincing

Will I be Back?

Of course I will be going again. I think that both nights were too busy because there wasn't much else on and everyone had to come to Hipsters to get their fix. During the rest of the year other venues will be open and people will have somewhere else to go. But I agree with ChrisA, if those crowds become the norm I'll be going elsewhere too

The Forum Legend

Re: Hipster 23rd Dec 2nd Jan

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Last night was people getting their first fix of the year after a break for Christmas and the new year - somebody even hired a minibus and drove up from Bournmouth!
    Wonder if those people are on the forum, know Hipsters regulars, or go there on a regular basis then Chris....

Steve

Thread Information