Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about style.....

Let's talk about style.....

Since we all have our own style in some shape or form. I am interested to know what does it for you? What attracts you to a dancer style wise?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Let's talk about style.....

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle
    Since we all have our own style in some shape or form. I am interested to know what does it for you? What attracts you to a dancer style wise?
    I've seen lots of dancers I wasn't impressed by, then seeing them again with a different partner they've "come to life". Not by changing their style but just because they're now dancing with someone who matches them. So I think there's much magic in the way the styles of two people interact.

confidence.

Two things do it for me:

1. I love a guy who can wiggle WELL - none of this stiff as a board, both feet planted firmly on the ground and leaning your torso from side to side (usually out of time!)!!
    2. Energy! Not necessarily jumping around all over the place at top speed, but putting something extra into what you're doing, even if you're doing it slowly and sedately. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I've seen lots of dancers I wasn't impressed by, then seeing them again with a different partner they've "come to life". Not by changing their style but just because they're now dancing with someone who matches them. So I think there's much magic in the way the styles of two people interact.
    I would agree with this. I don't think I've got any particular style yet as I'm still concentrating on following so I try and match myself to the person I'm dancing with.

There's definately some people that I feel more comfortable dancing with than others because I dance with them on a more regular basis!

But back to the orriginal question. The type of music does it for me when I'm picking a partner. I like to get music that suits their style as I like to dance to all music!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    confidence.
    You've got enough for everyone hun

Commercial Operator

Personally, I want a partner's styling to come directly from a combination of the lead and the music. It's not uncommon to see someone who moves beautifully, but in a manner which appears ... disconnected. Being a social dancer first and foremost, I consider connection to be king, so I suppose I chiefly look out for evidence of it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_4711
    I love a guy who can wiggle WELL - none of this stiff as a board, both feet planted firmly on the ground and leaning your torso from side to side (usually out of time!)!!
    When I started I used to put a lot of energy into moves. I remember watching a guy called Andy from London Ceroc dance, maybe 10-12 years ago, and thinking how strange and yet effective it looked to see someone "slow down" their dancing to the music.

Then, for a few years, I used to do serious amounts of wiggle-age. I think it was all that salsa and merengue that did it. I've kind of gone off that over the past couple of years though.

Now I'm learning AT, I'm just kind of walking around a lot when I dance.

I suspect, at this rate, in a couple of years' time I'll just be doing a Zen/DavidB kind of dancing - where I just stand there, and lead the follower via telepathy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    confidence.
    but NOT over-confidence

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Donna

I suspect, at this rate, in a couple of years' time I'll just be doing a Zen/DavidB kind of dancing - where I just stand there, and lead the follower via telepathy or something.
    I've danced with him using no hand to hand contact... now that is a great way of dancing, and certainly improves the lead and follow thing.

What attracts me to other peoples style is someone who really feels the music and puts a lot of energy into it.. even if they are dancing slow. Also somebody who has good musical interpretation, nice timing, good lead and strong connection and is able to throw in a lot of style at the same time without losing any of the above really does it for me.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    What attracts me to other peoples style is someone who really feels the music and puts a lot of energy into it.. even if they are dancing slow. Also somebody who has good musical interpretation, nice timing, good lead and strong connection and is able to throw in a lot of style at the same time without losing any of the above really does it for me.
    Not asking much, are you?

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    doing a Zen/DavidB kind of dancing - where I just stand there, and lead the follower via telepathy or something.
    You see all the ladies standing around the edge of the floor, tapping their feet, or moving side-to-side with the music?

I'm leading that.

They don't even realise they are following me.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    You see all the ladies standing around the edge of the floor, tapping their feet, or moving side-to-side with the music?

I'm leading that.

Damn, you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I've danced with him using no hand to hand contact... now that is a great way of dancing, and certainly improves the lead and follow thing.
    That's actually a fairly common showcase thing in AT - it looks like magic, as there's almost no hand movements, it's all in the chest. Spooky...

I'm leading that.

That's really impressive

Can you get them to go to the bar and each buy you a pint, as well?

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Yes. But because they don't know who is leading them, they don't give me the drinks.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I'm leading that.

Quote Originally Posted by RK
    Do you think you could just lead more firmly, and get them to buy you doubles?

Yes. But because they don't know who is leading them, they don't give me the drinks.
    I'm sure you could lead them to the bar to order your beer if you made eye contact with them all. Simultaneously of course

Oh, style

Er, yeah...

I have come to the gloomy conclusion that no amount of workshops or lessons can really teach it - only give you ideas. My style leaves a lot to be desired, but has improved massively as my posture and frame have improved - I believe that both must therefore be critical to being able to demonstrate good style. I love watching stylish dancers and sometimes wish I could make the same or similar movements feel more 'natural' to me. And have managed to acquire just enough style of my own to know that practice is the key thing for things you think you might like to add into your own style.

As far as picking partners is concerned - as my style isn't good enough to allow me to be too picky. If I'm looking for someone to ask, I really only take into account whether they look like they are leading smoothly and on time and having fun. Unless I know them/enjoy dancing with them, I tend to avoid asking guys who are more than a very few inches shorter than me (although will dance with them if they ask me!). Some moves just don't feel good (or look good) when the follower is significantly taller than the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_4711
    Two things do it for me:

1. I love a guy who can wiggle WELL - none of this stiff as a board, both feet planted firmly on the ground and leaning your torso from side to side (usually out of time!)!!
    2. Energy! Not necessarily jumping around all over the place at top speed, but putting something extra into what you're doing, even if you're doing it slowly and sedately. Does that make sense?
    I could have written this myself....I totally agree!! Well done Frankie

I love energy. If something is worth doing it really is worth giving 100%. I hate dancing with people who have the 'I can't be bothered' air!

I particularly like the 'funky' modern jive style - the sexiness, the energy and the connection can be wunderbar! I also like the graceful side of MJ too though. I suppose it depends on your partner and the track but I love to get on down and strut my stuff!

Confidence and actually looking at their partner, interacting, i.e. really dancing WITH them.

I'm leading that.

I think you are taking credit here for something that is actually a flaw in their anatomy: small bladder.

Thread Information