Thread: Camber November 2014

Camber November 2014

I have been asked to do a review on the forum for Camber weekender last weekend. I have not done one of these for a while. Warning it will not be too gushy.

Good
    There were a few good and very good sets. Rachel’s early evening set on Friday sets on Saturday night. Marc and Rachel’s blues set on Friday and Saturday and lastly Graham Kingdom’s Saturday afternoon set, fantastic. The room was packed to the rafters even though there was another set going on in the Cyclone Room.

Bad
    Rachel’s blues sets being on far too early. Blues should be on much later (middle of night is best). Having 'tiggerbabe' come all the way from Scotland to be given the grave yard shift whilst the cabaret is going on. What a waste. Thankfully a few sensible people joined me for a dance. Having blues pushed more and more out and finding that we now only have a small packed room, with other enthusiasts . Feels like we are being side-lined for WCS. Relentless R&B running side by side in 2 rooms.
    Result
    I realise that Ceroc is an organisation always trying to improve and change. That sometimes has the effect of pushing out some of your regular customers. For me I think I need a year out of Camber to try and get my enthusiasm back

Ps forgotten how to tag someone in the post - it's been far too long
    Last edited by Maxine; 17th-November-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Just thought

Re: Camber November 2014

Didn't know you could tag on her Maxine. Shame about Tiggerbabe being on at that time, but hey ho someone has to do it. Did she have another slot, love her sets, funky and fun.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Having asked Maxine/Linda to do a write-up, here's my take on the event

Having been out of the Ceroc scene for a while, I went along because a friend needed a man to gender balance with. I mostly dance West Coast these days, and given the fairly low amount of West Coast dancers/music there, I went along mainly for the social aspect and to catch up with old friends rather than the dancing.

Good: two excellent Zouk masterclasses from Ekow and Sarve. Not many steps covered, but with the technique around them covered in great detail - exactly what a masterclass should be. And coupled with Ekow's STDJ set in the afternoon, there was plenty of music to try it out to. Also, having been away from Pontins for a while, I was pleasantly surprised with the state of our chalet - no uninvited guests of the ant/slug variety, no mould, and free electricity. (Though obviously, this is based on a sample of one.) Having the pub open for a few hours at night was good too, though given the limited space I mostly made use of the comfy chairs to chat to friends. And it was really good to catch up with a lot of old friends who I hadn't seen in a long while.

Bad: Having paid £20 for a parking space, I was hoping there might be some guarantee that one was available. Driving round the site twice in the rain at 3am, I eventually found a bit of tarmac where I wasn't blocking anyone in. I know the amount of parking space at the site is outside Ceroc's control, but maybe they could rethink keeping parking spots on sale when there's so little physical space available?

One line wrap-up: not being a Cerocker anymore, I was going more for the social aspect than the dancing, but I still found a good amount of fun things to do, music to dance to and people to dance with that I had a good time.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I had a brilliant time at Camber, it's one of the best ones I've been to yet. I appreciate this may partly have been due to my wonderful chalet mate Riaz, fun parties and dinner paries with wonderful friends, great food and copious amounts of alcohol, but mostly it was down to some amazing dancing.

I danced my socks off, this weekend and loved it. I didn't venture upstairs, apart from the one DJ slot I had there, on Sunday night, but the place was buzzing and full of dancers still going strong.

I had a few good ol' boogies in the pub, at Sack The DJ slots, Swinger's hour and even tried a bit of Zouk, sadly I don't have the hair for it. Doing Dale's Line Dancing Class with Riaz was great fun, too.

The downstairs room was my home for most of the weekend, loved doing my sets in there, at nights, and yeah Saturday was quiet when the cabaret was on, but it picked up

I particularly enjoyed the afternoon dancing in the Cyclone room. Saturday dancing to Dave Rokov and Garry Turner and then on Sunday DJing the first slot and then dancing to Garry's music was just too much fun.

I managed to make it to Marc's last slot of the weekend and he didn't disappoint.

A couple of good friends were missing but hopefully they'll be back for the next one.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post

The downstairs room was my home for most of the weekend, loved doing my sets in there, at nights, and yeah Saturday was quiet when the cabaret was on, but it picked up

It’s probably me then be selfish. As I like to go our later and stay out laterdancing to the music I like!

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Didn't know you could tag on her Maxine. Shame about Tiggerbabe being on at that time, but hey ho someone has to do it. Did she have another slot, love her sets, funky and fun.
    I thought you could tag and make people's name come out bold or in another colour - Maybe I am imagining it

Yes she did have other sets but no down and dirty blues

Thread Information