Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Men - how not to be sweaty when it gets hot

Originally posted by fruitcake
    I know this is for men , but being female,.... I have to add that sweaty men are no problem for me, and its actually round the back of the neck that seems to be shall we say the moistest, however on the very odd occasion, I have had a SMELLY sweaty partner and have to hold my breath, so the good advice on arriving clan and fresh is the best!
    Fruity
    Well fruity, I can tell you it's not only men that pong.

There is a very good dancer (unfortunately) at a venue I go to (I will not name but it's local on a tuesday). She has very bad BO but I cannot find it in myself to
    1/ refuse a lady a dance.
    and
    2/ to tell her about it
    or
    3/ be bold enough to buy her a bar of soap.

It's unfortunate that, male or female, some people just cannot help having an odour about them no matter how hard they try.
    I do hope that if I have an odour about me that somebody might just tip me off.

On the clothes change thing, I will have to try the multilayer next time it's going to be a hot night.

Originally posted by stewart38
    I never take a change of clothes I just dry myself using heaters in toilets or outside (if its cooler).

But the only thing that evaporates from the material of the shirt as it dries is the water - not the salt, and not anything that might possibly be malodorous when re-wetted and re-heated.

Each drying will leave the substances originally dissolved in the sweat still in the shirt - so the more dryings, the more the residue, so the higher the concentration to be reheated when it gets wet again.

Personally I would never do this. I would always change the shirt as soon as (and sometimes before) it gets even moderately wet.

Chris

On Tuesday??
    Oh my god, I hope its not me,
    I'm gonna be paranoid now!!
    Fruity

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.
    Originally posted by Gary
    I usually put four spare shirts in my bag, more if it's a very hot night or a dance party.
    Of course, I've recently (Friday night) found that if you go to a nifty club, it doesn't matter how many shirts you've got in your bag if they don't have collars and you're not allowed to change into them .

This could be another point in favour of layering -- sweat-absorbing T-shirts under club-approved collared shirt.

An Eclectic Toaster
    Originally posted by Paul F
    I tried those 'wicking' fabrics ie. Coolmax and Nike's ACG clothing technology and found a distinct problem.

The first t-shirt i bought was a £32 coolmax tight-ish t-shirt from an outdoor clothing supplier. I was told they had to be fairly tight to supply that extra layer of skin effect to transport moisture away.
    This t-shirt is great at wicking away moisture BUT I discovered it wicks the moisture away to the outside for speedy evaporation.
    This supplier's advice seems strange to me, because of the only Coolmax t-shirt I own, which is a Peter Storm one. Thing is, the size label is Small but it's much bigger and baggier than any other Small t-shirt in my collection. So either Peter Storm are used to supplying giants, or they view this 'only works properly with a tight fit" issue differently. Certainly I find I can wear this t-shirt for a lot longer than any other without sweat problems.
    Whether that's the baggy fit, the polyester or the high wicking is moot, however - I don't wear it much. This is because a) it's 100% polyester and therefore doesn't feel good, and b) it looks a bit bland. Give me four cotton t-shirts and a couple of silly or stylish shirts anyday.

PS Also maybe worth noting is this older thread on the same subject, What fabrics / (t)shirts for summer. It has a few worthwhile web links to suppliers and shops.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I mentioned this before somewhere on another thread but there is a product called 'DRICLOR' available from larger branches of Boots that helps to eliminate excessive sweating, it's primarily used for hands and feet but I know people who use it with great success for other parts too.
    You rub a thin layer on the problem area/s before going to bed and wash it off in the morning, repeat this process, for about a week then continue about once a week there after, and NO MORE SWEATING!

IT WORKS!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Lory

-/snip/-

IT WORKS!
    Of course, Lory was a muscular father of 5 working in motorway maintenance before starting to use it - but she doesn't have any more problems with sweating

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Of course, Lory was a muscular father of 5 working in motorway maintenance before starting to use it - but she doesn't have any more problems with sweating
    Andy, I told you that in confidence now I'll never get asked to dance again GRRR
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator
    Andy, I told you that in confidence now I'll never get asked to dance again GRRR
    Once word get around you'll be beating them off with a stick...

..not that you aren't already...

..umm..

..err.

Well I'll ask you - probably

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Once word get around you'll be beating them off with a stick...

What stick? I had that surgically removed!

Commercial Operator

or did the batteries just run out ! ! !

Thread Information