NO silly theme
    NO lesson
    NO second room
    NO interruptions
    NO bar, selling drinks at exorbitant prices
    NO i tune compilations
    NO thumpy bumpy music
    NO cabaret
    NO request ( well Nick did just fit "next 40 years" in for me as the penultimate track)

It was

NOT too dark
    NOT too loud
    NOT Ceroc
    NOT Leroc

Just a real live DJ, who stay on stage the whole evening and played a wicked set, from 8pm to Midnight, with a first class sound system

it cost just £6.50 ( book in advance price)

I know MJ is a very competitive business

but I am beginning to wonder in some organisers have lost the plot
    with just too many extras and special events

What you think

( No John I have no objections to free chip butties free tea and chocolate Swiss roll )
    Last edited by philsmove; 19th-January-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Re: Just a dance ?

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I recently went to a brilliant Modern Jive dance near Bath

It was somewhat unusual in that

There was

NO competition
    NO DWAS
    NO demonstration
    NO fancy dress
    NO silly theme
    NO lesson
    NO second room
    NO interruptions
    NO i tune compilations
    NO thumpy bumpy music
    NO cabaret
    NO request ( well Nick did just fit "next 40 years" in for me as the penultimate track)

It was

NOT too dark
    NOT too loud
    NOT Ceroc
    NOT Leroc

Just a real live DJ, who stay on stage the whole evening and played a wicked set, from 8pm to Midnight, with a first class sound system

it cost just £6.50 ( book in advance price)

I know MJ is a very competitive business

but I am beginning to wonder in some organisers have lost the plot
    with just too many extras and special events

What you think

( No John I have no objections to free chip butties free tea and chocolate Swiss roll )
    I agree with you up to a point. I am totally fed up with being told what colour to wear or stupid themes. With a big exception of Heaven and Hell Ball, which works because they also put in lots of effort to theme the hall as well.

My second exception is, I do like a second room, especially if they are playing music that I rally don’t enjoy in the main room, it is such a pleasure to escape.

Also not bothered about having food as I usually don't eat anything, unless it is a really late night.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine;592134,
    I do like a second room, especially if they are playing music that I rally don’t enjoy in the main room, it is such a pleasure to escape
    Agreed but at last two room event I attended, the music in the blues room was delicious but it completely lacked atmosphere and more importantly anyone one to dance with

Blues rooms dont seem to work in my part of the world, but tonight at Switch, the music like cinderella will change at midnight

So in other words you prefer dance nights where the organizers make no effort at all in attracting dancers, teaching them or entertaining them? In these difficult times where all organizers are struggling to make ends meet and trying as hard as they can to make their nights different and to offer more value for money I'm sure the format you're proposing will do REALLY well...

At a freestyle? The entertainment is the music, the lighting, the other people there. Things that get in the way of enjoying those can easily detract from the evening.

The format Philsmove proposed is close to my experience on Sunday. Great music, pristine floor, stunningly good dancers. And yes, free tea and cake

I will go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    So in other words you prefer dance nights where the organizers make no effort at all in attracting dancers,...
    No Rocky, I think you misunderstand me
    I am not against special events
    but a few operators, seem to have lost the plot
    Putting on lots of special special events
    but not IMHO paying enough attention, to the most important element of a good evening - the music
    I hope you will be pleasd to know ,from what i have heard, this does not apply to you

Agreed but at last two room event I attended, the music in the blues room was delicious but it completely lacked atmosphere and more importantly anyone one to dance with

Blues rooms dont seem to work in my part of the world, but tonight at Switch, the music like cinderella will change at midnight
    Phil, I think you're describing situations which do exist and where a second room may have been added without any real forethought and in a half-hearted manner. But separate Blues/COZy rooms can and do succeed if implemented with real enthusiasm and long-term commitment. However, where there is no existing local tradition of second rooms, or of Blues-type dancing, a clientelle will need to be encouraged and cultivated, teaching provided, and a reputation established during the good times and over the longer term. The ultimate reward, if lady luck smiles a little, is that that well-earned reputation will attract enthusiastic dancers from a wide catchment area helping to cushion the effects of any harder times.

The Switch style events are a viable alternative and may well be prefered by some, though personally I would prefer the choice of music style to be mine and available through the whole night. Either way, there needs to be that enthusiastic commitment to the Blues dance form which you are fortunate enough to have in your local part of the Modern Jive scene.

Unfortunately, in the scene I inhabit retrenchment in the face of the economic storm seems to be the order of the day: resulting in the axeing of the (already very few) two room events.

NO competition
    NO DWAS
    NO demonstration
    NO fancy dress
    NO silly theme
    NO lesson
    NO second room
    NO interruptions
    NO i tune compilations
    NO thumpy bumpy music
    NO cabaret

It was

NOT too dark
    NOT too loud
    NOT Ceroc
    NOT Leroc

Absolutely agree about themed nights, coloured clothes and fancy dress. I'm just not interested but lots of folk do seem to like them.

I don't want a lesson at a freestyle. Ditto cabaret, unless it truly is excellent, and it often isn't. DWAS I find entertaining, though it does take a chunk out out of the evening.

Food - absolutely unnecessary. Most people need to eat less, not more, and I go out dancing to shed calories, not load them on. The exception might be Snow White's efforts at healthy snacks.

The bar - I only drink tap water, on taste, health, economic and environmental grounds. Nothing else is required.

Second rooms - tricky one. They shouldn't be necessary if the main room music was good and varied. They can be a refuge from excessive thumpthump, but can also lack atmosphere. Generally, they will encourage me to attend rather than stay home, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    ......., though personally I would prefer the choice of music style to be mine and available through the whole night..
    So are coming down to Brizzle on Friday "Free" mini zumba class - participation compulsory

So are coming down to Brizzle on Friday "Free" mini zumba class - participation compulsory
    Would that I could, but I'm altogether too decrepit for such lively activity :-(((

I hate fancy dresses and DWAS and all that crap messing up freestyles. They are just 'no-gos' for me now.

That said, it only really cheeses me off when the organisers ruin a perfectly good scheduled freestyle with this stuff. If it's an addition to the calendar, no problem.

The issue of overcharging is slightly different. Putting aside the 'ruining a regular freestyle issue'. An extra 5+ quid for a chocolate fountain and some tissue paper extra decorations doesn't work for me. No thanks. On the other hand, an extra 5+ quid for a live band (assuming a reasonable band) and I'd be interested.
    The ones I truly hate is where the price goes up by a large amount, and all that changes is a few decorations, nibbles and a name change to a "ball". That is sucker bait.

Thread Information