Oh and what was the clown all about?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Splash the aftermarth

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    Oh and what was the clown all about?
    I have no idea
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Tango is progressive (people walk around the room) and MJ is stationary (people dance in the same area). You can see that trying to mix and match the two will cause issues and collisions. Even a single couple doing MJ can disrupt the flow of the whole room, especially if they're in the outside lane.
    I didn't see the incident Stewart was referring to but I do remember another weekend watching a couple doing WCS, their slot along the outside lane. All the tango couples were steering round them but it was causing a lot of disruption and did eventually lead to a collision.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Having said that, I had 3 really wonderful dances in a row (with the same guy) but as usual, when I've finished dancing, I haven't a clue who to ask or how to get another dance? So I leave! Bahhh!
    Its probably that I'm simply used to scanning an MJ room and instantly recognising people I want to dance with OR I get asked!
    I used to dislike that about the tango room, but I sit now with my partner so I'm not sitting on my own and I don't mind as I enjoy the music and watching others dancing. (Of course that means I get asked less, though I did notice a few times when he got up to get a drink of water, I immediately got asked to dance!) I think its fine to ask people too, as its an MJ weekender so normal tango ettiquette doesn't need to be so strictly observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
    I
    Overall I hope the missus and Chalie come to the next one as this was the main thing missing for me.
    Oh yes you reminded me – I missed the other Charlie – the lovely Mr Tiger Pants – all part of the Southport experience for me.

PS Dave – your dancing on Friday/Saturday seemed just fine to me and I did not hear any of the other ladies complaining

Yep I totally agree with Maxine Dave H I felt I didn't live up to you, not the other way around!! And boy did I miss Charlie!

WT

I know its me and I'm not blaming anyone else but I still flippin' hate the Tango room. Having said that, I had 3 really wonderful dances in a row (with the same guy) but as usual, when I've finished dancing, I haven't a clue who to ask or how to get another dance? So I leave! Bahhh!
    Its probably that I'm simply used to scanning an MJ room and instantly recognising people I want to dance with OR I get asked!
    I always think if it's an MJ occasion, MJ rules apply. So, I do the usual "look them straight in the eye and say "You dancin?" ", smiling inwardly as the entire civilisation of Argentina crumbles. Everybody at Southport knows the "never refuse a dance" drill so there's nothing (much) to fear.

If it's a proper milonga, however, I sit in the corner, mouselike, staring at the floor, cowed and intimidated by the small percentage of complete tossers who are bolstered up by the wonderful BsAs codigos. No wonder I hate milongas so much!

Love reading your replies, everybody, I'm talking myself into attending another Southport one day.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I didn't see the incident Stewart was referring to but I do remember another weekend watching a couple doing WCS, their slot along the outside lane. All the tango couples were steering round them but it was causing a lot of disruption and did eventually lead to a collision.
    Yes, I think that happened in the tent thingy a couple of years back - in fact, I think I may have been dancing with you then

It's surprising, but a single couple can disrupt the flow sometimes - you even see this in AT rooms between people dancing different styles of AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I used to dislike that about the tango room, but I sit now with my partner so I'm not sitting on my own and I don't mind as I enjoy the music and watching others dancing. (Of course that means I get asked less, though I did notice a few times when he got up to get a drink of water, I immediately got asked to dance!) I think its fine to ask people too, as its an MJ weekender so normal tango ettiquette doesn't need to be so strictly observed.
    Agree. Plus, that room is so large and dark, any attempts at cabeceo are doomed to failure anyhow. Although I still reserve the right to refuse an offer, just because I'm a Tango Snob

But the Tango culture is much less "dance all the dances, all the time" anyway - a much smaller proportion of your time is spent dancing during a milonga than during a normal MJ freestyle.

Yes, I think that happened in the tent thingy a couple of years back - in fact, I think I may have been dancing with you then

It's surprising, but a single couple can disrupt the flow sometimes - you even see this in AT rooms between people dancing different styles of AT.

Agree. Plus, that room is so large and dark, any attempts at cabeceo are doomed to failure anyhow. Although I still reserve the right to refuse an offer, just because I'm a Tango Snob

But the Tango culture is much less "dance all the dances, all the time" anyway - a much smaller proportion of your time is spent dancing during a milonga than during a normal MJ freestyle.
    1000+ dancer bumping into each other in the main room and in the other room the 'fear' that a WCS dancer may bump into a Tango dancer in a empty room.

WCS dancers on the beach , problem solved ? Maybe Tango dancers should have the main room as well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I always think if it's an MJ occasion, MJ rules apply. So, I do the usual "look them straight in the eye and say "You dancin?" ", smiling inwardly as the entire civilisation of Argentina crumbles.
    I appreciate yours and Lynn's comments and of course you're both absolutely right but that's not my issue. I think most people who know me would agree, I'm not exactly a shy and retiring wall flower

I suppose my issue is, because it's an MJ weekender, some people just come in to spectate, so I don't know who does Tango and who doesn't, so I tend to watch the 'floor' to see who can actually lead but because they don't have set Tanda's (3 tracks divided by a very short weird piece of music, which gives an obvious opportunity to swap partners) one doesn't have a clue if the man you've eyed up to ask, is about to have another dance with the same partner (as is usual in Tango)

And as I've said before, I just find it frustrating. If I had a Tango partner, or knew many more men who can lead, I know it would be very different

Everybody at Southport knows the "never refuse a dance" drill so there's nothing (much) to fear.
    Hahaha, you would think so woudn't you
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

[QUOTE Oh and what was the clown all about?[/QUOTE]
    I'd like to know ! He hijacked me on Sunday night, marched me round the main room and then proceeded to throw me around (he was a very rough lead!) What did I do to deserve that??!

Otherwise had a fab Southport - was in Club this time, new beds, curtains, flooring (no mucky carpet) & Shower curtain - had a peek in a fully re-furbed chalet it looked really nice.
    Thought the music was brilliant in all 3 rooms, didn't think it was overcrowded, seemed more evenly gender balanced than usual, had some totally fab dances, did the Wobble (love it!) got some great new tunes, saw lots of mates and accquaintances. Plus - great weather! Enjoyed it far more than my last 2 Southports

Sundays seem to be the new Saturdays now - I've noticed that shift over the past year or so, it was clear at Storm and even more pronounced at Lux.
    I haven't noticed it at Camber, or Southport in summer, so was a little taken aback.

What, he expected you to automatically do WCS without leading WCS, or what?
    Apparently, yes

What?! A Stranger? Or someone you were sharing with?
    Not a stranger in a sense that I did not know him, but not a person we were sharing with. Somebody we had invited over on friday for a drink and a chat, and who felt free with the chalet after that, including smashing glasses, jumping on the bed in his shoes, and barging into a bedroom, yeah, it was bad

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    The Not so good

I had 3 really wonderful dances in a row (with the same guy)
    What a coincidence, I had 3 wonderfull dances in a row (with the same woman ).
    Last edited by Lory; 19th-October-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    What a coincidence, I had 3 wonderfull dances in a row (with the same woman ).
    Ahhhhhhh, it was YOU! I did wonder!

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Classes
    I only did one class and that was the tango – Voleos and Patadas, which I should imagine if you did this with a fixed partner would have been a really good class. I didn’t and I found that a lot of the men that were rotating had only done the other tango classes that week and that the difficult footwork that they were teaching the men was far too complicated and that they concentrated so much on trying to get the kick right that they did not lead the follower into the steps. I am sure that class, to a smaller audience and if taught on the ground in a circle, with men that had some lessons, would have been good. I think it may also have scared a few guys off.''
    I have to disagree with having the class on the floor. This happened on Saturday and it was a complete Shambles. I tried to explain to people to rotate clock-wise round; however no-one took any notice. Crewing with people in Rows was far better to manage.

Last edited by Rogboy; 19th-October-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Being refused by someone in particular, who managed to make me feel like **** but I'll live!
    Wonder who that was xx
    Last edited by Rogboy; 19th-October-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
    I'd agree that the use of the room for the tango and wcs is not the best use of the room and leads to overcrowding in the other rooms at peak times. Perhaps they could use it for tango and swing in the earlier and later part of the evening and from 11 to 3 have it as an extra MJ room?
    I was looking through the Storm aftermath thread just now and I saw this comment:

Mike (Ellard) made some noises about Southport being The Tango One, but I can't see it really, if only because the (ex-)Latin Room is just too big for a decent milonga. You'd need at least 150 people dancing there to make that room feel good, atmosphere-wise, and I can't see there being that much demand.
    Sounds like this opinon was correct.

Blog Entries

I suppose my issue is, because it's an MJ weekender, some people just come in to spectate, so I don't know who does Tango and who doesn't,
    Good point. Maybe they should do a spectators area...

set Tanda's (3 tracks divided by a very short weird piece of music
    Brilliant description

And as I've said before, I just find it frustrating. If I had a Tango partner, or knew many more men who can lead, I know it would be very different
    If only you knew someone who had a regular tango session somewhere...

Hahaha, you would think so woudn't you
    I like a woman who holds a good grudge, it's a lost art.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Apparently, yes
    Well that's a bit bloody silly. Unless it was in one of the specific WCS sessions of course.

Blog Entries

I like a woman who holds a good grudge, it's a lost art.
    You know me too well!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogboy View Post
    I have to disagree with having the class on the floor. This happened on Saturday and it was a complete Shambles. I tried to explain to people to rotate clock-wise round; however no-one took any notice. Crewing with people in Rows was far better to manage.
    Tango classes are far better taught in the round. AT is not a slot-based dance.

But, obviously, that limits the amount of people you can fit on the floor - and if you're not used to it, yes, it's bound to be a nightmare.

Thread Information