Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splash October 2011 - The Aftermath

Splash October 2011 - The Aftermath

Bit tired now so full review to follow.

Would be interested to find out if anyone found the 'Chill out Zone' room ? I only found the urban funky garage one

ps mod please edit title ie Aftermath
    Last edited by stewart38; 17th-October-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Re: Splash the aftermarth

Still as happy as ever S38

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Still as happy as ever S38
    Southport will always score 80-100 out of a 100 just felt this was nearer 80 this time.

Sunday was advertised as Blues 8.30pm to 10.30pm and then 'chill out'

We had to wait for Tiggerbabes great set at 1.30am in the morning to get any track under 180bpm

You could bounce from one room to the next

I also didn't like the fact the 8 couples from tango took over the entire Cyclone quarter for the weekend.

Such a waste of a lovely room.

Loved the swing hours on the Saturday and Sunday by Mike and Chris and 22.34 other things

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Sunday was advertised as Blues 8.30pm to 10.30pm and then 'chill out'

We had to wait for Tiggerbabes great set at 1.30am in the morning to get any track under 180bpm

You could bounce from one room to the next..
    Good grief, you do talk some rubbish sometimes Stewart. I played 11.30pm - 12.30pm on Sunday in the Chill Out Zone which is described as Smooth, Slow AND Funky music and didn't play a track above 112 BPM, with most ranging from 85 - 105 BPM. Richard Oliver followed me and I danced to his entire set which again didn't go above 115 BPM. The whole point is that there is supposed to be variety so that the music sets and styles appeal to a broader cross section of people - or did you want the entire weekend to be scheduled just for your personal enjoyment?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Good grief, you do talk some rubbish sometimes Stewart. I played 11.30pm - 12.30pm on Sunday in the Chill Out Zone which is described as Smooth, Slow AND Funky music and didn't play a track above 112 BPM, with most ranging from 85 - 105 BPM. Richard Oliver followed me and I danced to his entire set which again didn't go above 115 BPM. The whole point is that there is supposed to be variety so that the music sets and styles appeal to a broader cross section of people - or did you want the entire weekend to be scheduled just for your personal enjoyment?
    For those who missed it , I'm in the crowd at 1.43 far left near the back. Southport 2011

I am under the bed 1.55, Southport 2007

Last edited by stewart38; 17th-October-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Re: Splash October 2011 - The Aftermath

OK vguely awake.

Good bad and ugly.

Ugly: The carpet in my unrenovated chalet, some holes in it and where it actually did exist it went slurp as you lifted your feet.

1 dancer who didn't get the hint that he was invading my space just a tad too much.. Might have been my fault as I had been seriously microblusing the second before, but this had been a really good friend then dancing with a complete stranger... Hm should have used my self defence techniques, but felt my knee might just take the complaint a little too far. Why do I bother keeping a polite smile on my face??

Bad: Missing dancing in the sunshine in the afternoon as I needed to sleep - now why couldn't I just postpone the sleep until today?? 2 Physio appointments to keep me going - glad I had them, but I wish I hadn't had to need them.

Good: Absolutely loved all the music I heard, had some wonderful fast track blues with some new (to me) dancers (Thanks Silverfox and Rocky who I think were on the decks at those times ) and also some incredible slow track dances with friends old and new during Tiggerbabe, Marc and Rachel's sets.

Some of my favourite leads are in the usual place in the message in a bottle thread.

Work has no fear for me now. Happy Happy memories make me immune

WT

Talking Re: Splash October 2011 - The Aftermath

Aftermath,

Well I turned up a bitty early 3:30ish.... Normally there by 4:30 and normally casually checking in. However this was not the case I spent ages chatting away to friend i haven't seen for at least 4 months. They seemed to be very strict in the checkin's which i wasn't expecting. I know it says 5pm but the queue was HUGE for normals who weren't in clubtastic. Only went to nibbles when i saw the queue forming. Course alot of people had the same idea and so by near 5 the queue went out the door of reception. Anyway once the queue started moving i was fairly quickly dealt with. I was pretty much front of the queue 6 hours drive and wanting to put my stuff away.

Living space, was done up I quite liked it. Though I would of loved a better shower the place was just there for periods that I needed to dream. So didn't expect much. I liked the blackout blinds they did wonders when I hobbled back in the early hours of the morning for some shuteye.

If you travel a fairly long distance (Aberdeen to Southport) it can hamper your efforts for your brain and body to arrive. Thankfully that wasn't the case. Once settled and fed I was about quite happily dancing the night away. Think i cracked the whole dance and sleep cycles... except I think am on NYC time. Thankfully I am on holiday... work would be so boring after coming from an event such as this....

Rocky I still have the TUNE stuck in my head its outstanding but I guess I can live without knowing it, honest its great coming back from southport with a tune stuck in your head but evil when you don't know what it is... However still i think thats the tune that topped southport for me.

The music was pretty much AWESOME no complaints it kept me on the dance floor apart from when feet rebelled but that was pretty much over ridden by all the tunes being played that were on. I can't say much about the main room as I only went into it now and then. To get that extra power boost or to get warmer.

The weather was great for afternoon dancing. I loved every minute of it.

Did anyone try the bar food? I think its got better. Well least was enough to keep my tummy happy. Prices didn't vary that much for me at the Pub either which is a first!

And finally it was really nice to catch up with friends that i haven't seen in ages. From blues to wcs and a bit of jive... I think all options for awesomeness was were ticked there. Met some really cool people that left me with a smile on my face every dance. Danced the night away and pretty much felt the southport vibe from day 1. Wish I could zip down to camber.... cause I have happy feet.

Anyways I apologise if i left something out... but in short AWESOME. Think its my word of the weekend, awesome, awesome, awesome....... Squirrel!!!!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also didn't like the fact the 8 couples from tango took over the entire Cyclone quarter for the weekend.
    Join us...

Southport will always score 80-100 out of a 100 just felt this was nearer 80 this time.

Such a waste of a lovely room.
    There were far more than 8 couples at all times during the milogas, in fact far more than the WCS dancers on Sunday evening, it was a waste of a lovely room, but I suppose you have to let the WCS's use it sometimes

It was my first weekender and I LOVED it. Added bonus was the room I was sharing had a broken meter so had free electric all weekend. The room was alrite, not that I spent much time in it other than when sleeping or resting my feet.
    I had some great dances and spent most of my time in the main room although I think I have heard ' moves like Jagger' enough to last a lifetime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    There were far more than 8 couples at all times during the milogas, in fact far more than the WCS dancers on Sunday evening, it was a waste of a lovely room, but I suppose you have to let the WCS's use it sometimes
    Apparently they'll whinge incessantly, even then...

Too tired for full review (even after 12 hours sleep) and wish I didn't have to go to work... but quick comments...

Really enjoyed the tango classes, as did my partner - felt they really explained and showed the leads well, not just the patterns.

Tried to eat in the pub, but no tables free, any empty ones were reserved. (I wish people who had finished eating, or were just having a drink, would move and let others use the tables.)

Sat night was a disaster for me - I wasn't dancing well in tango room, and it was too crowded everywhere else. (But I got some sleep so was awake enough for the Sun tango classes.)

On Sunday night I loved the mix of music in the tango room, stayed in there til it closed, then bluesroom the rest of the night.

The new curtains, with blackout, really helped the on sleep front - the chalet parties with very loud music didn't. (On speakers clearly not designed to play that loud so it was really bad loud music too!)

Overall, a good weekend - nice to catch up with some people, lots of lovely dancing to watch, afternoon outside dancing in the sun (wasn't the weather great?!)

On a side note - if anyone found a pair of clip on sunglasses in the blues room or saw them anyhere can they let me know? I lost them on Sat and they fit my glasses perfectly. I can't get another pair as they don't seem to make them in that size anymore (I've been looking for a second pair for the last two years). I'd love to get them back as they are easy to put on one handed while driving if the sun comes out.
    Last edited by Lynn; 18th-October-2011 at 01:38 PM.

The good:
    Personal chef in the chalet, with room service Fabulous! Music was good throughout. Saturday day and night-time dancing was fantasticly good, music, dancers, the whole atmosphere Monday morning, of course - the last couple of dances in blues room gave me the shivers, they were so awesome.
    Not the bad, but very strange: Saturday, contrary to usual, was a very dressed down night, but people dressed up on Sunday night instead for some reason...
    The bad: Bizarre scheduling for the WCS on Sunday night - before the tango slot..? Why? It was packed on Sat, and the room was much in use by westies. what's the point of change?
    The electricity meter had a sticker saying free electricity - and it run out in the middle of the night, came back to freezing rooms in the morning, grrr
    The ugly:
    a dance that ruined my whole Sunday afternoon - led to a funky blues track NOT in a WCS style and then a disgusted disapproving expression on the man's face when I did not follow in the WCS style. Well, *** did he expect?
    Another idiot who pulled my arm/shoulder at 3 am on Monday morning, I could have cried, not only it was painful, but spelled the end of the fast room for the weekend And then had the guts to smile and ask for another!!!
    Being rudely woken up by a person who barged into "door closed, lights switched off" chalet and bedroom (!!!) and then told me to f...off when told to just leave!
    In general, very strange feeling after it, not exactly as good as it usually is, but apart from the ugly points, not as bad either. yup, I'll stick to "strange" description...

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    Wether it was 8 couples or 14 isn't the point it just seem a shame of as you say , to waste of a lovely room. Perhaps waste is the wrong word it was underused.

In the old days if you had people doing tango in their they didn't forbid other dancers. DJ told cerocer to stop as it was a Tango only.

Obviously given the brochure (based on peoples request) said more Blues would be played its a pity it wasn't.

Obviously I still had an excellent time but I fear to be slated for opinions, they are mine wether rubbish or not.

More good stuff, the £5 electricity more then lasted and that included heating

The Tango masters 3 routines they did, double trouble routine, takes balls to dance in front of 1000+ , wont mention views on the comp (for fear of being slated) but cabaret now well balanced

Music all types saturday and sunday afternoon.

Having proper chats with people I haven't seen for ages

Water never running out we take that as a given (who remembers Franco days)

I fixed the TV myself after waiting for replacement then it worked fine and all my neighbours were fine and dandy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Saturday, contrary to usual, was a very dressed down night, but people dressed up on Sunday night instead for some reason...
    Sundays seem to be the new Saturdays now - I've noticed that shift over the past year or so, it was clear at Storm and even more pronounced at Lux.

The bad: Bizarre scheduling for the WCS on Sunday night - before the tango slot..? Why? It was packed on Sat, and the room was much in use by westies. what's the point of change?
    Because that was the schedule, presumably.

People made the same complaint about a weekender a while back - stopping a very busy freestyle to make way for a quiet class. These things happen. Organisers can't tell in advance which sessions will be packed and which will be deserted.

a dance that ruined my whole Sunday afternoon - led to a funky blues track NOT in a WCS style and then a disgusted disapproving expression on the man's face when I did not follow in the WCS style. Well, *** did he expect?
    What, he expected you to automatically do WCS without leading WCS, or what?

Blog Entries

Wether it was 8 couples or 14 isn't the point it just seem a shame of as you say , to waste of a lovely room. Perhaps waste is the wrong word it was underused.
    There's really nowhere in the Southport venue which is good for AT dancing - the Blues Room / pub room thing, maybe, but the other rooms are just too big.

In the old days if you had people doing tango in their they didn't forbid other dancers. DJ told cerocer to stop as it was a Tango only.
    There's actually a good reason for this - it's not being snobby (well, not just being snobby ).

Tango is progressive (people walk around the room) and MJ is stationary (people dance in the same area). You can see that trying to mix and match the two will cause issues and collisions. Even a single couple doing MJ can disrupt the flow of the whole room, especially if they're in the outside lane.

I'd maybe have suggested that the MJ couple move to the centre of the room, but I can understand it if the DJ told them that this is a Tango room. I think the only possible solution is for you to learn AT

wont mention views on the comp (for fear of being slated)
    There was a competition? Another one? Blimey, what was that called?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had an absolute blast!

It was a 'different' weekend for me for a couple of reasons.

1. I was demoing and 2. I was staying 'off site', both factors making me have to completely change my usual /eat/sleep/play pattern BUT, in an interesting and positive kind of way, it helped make Southport feel fresh again

The good

Having sleeping tablets again (a total Godsend)
    Meeting some new and crazy people
    Sheena's Sunday breakfast (absolutely delicious and hilarious to boot)
    The music
    The weather
    Joining in 'The Wobble' in the Mainroom (BTW, IMHO, no one needs a lesson to learn this dance, it takes a nano second to pick up, so don't worry, just join in!)
    Venturing into the WCS room again after a long absence and receiving some wonderful compliments from some surprised partners, who seemed genuinely quite shocked that I knew how to do it!
    Princess Fi's lifesaving baking!
    And lastly, some unbelievably good dances!

The Not so good

I know its me and I'm not blaming anyone else but I still flippin' hate the Tango room. Having said that, I had 3 really wonderful dances in a row (with the same guy) but as usual, when I've finished dancing, I haven't a clue who to ask or how to get another dance? So I leave! Bahhh!
    Its probably that I'm simply used to scanning an MJ room and instantly recognising people I want to dance with OR I get asked!

Not managing to catch up and spend as much time as I'd have like to with some of me close(r) friends

My bra snapping early on Sunday afternoon and not being able to nip back and change quickly, resulting in my having to dance very tentatively

The Bad

Being refused by someone in particular, who managed to make me feel like **** but I'll live!

Being rudely woken up by a person who barged into "door closed, lights switched off" chalet and bedroom (!!!) and then told me to f...off when told to just leave!
    What?! A Stranger? Or someone you were sharing with?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Had another enjoyable weekend at Southport (it still remains my favourite weekender) Found this was the runner up for the year, better than May but not as good as February) I love South[port for a variety of reasons. The venue layout is far superior to any other weekenders that I have been to. Everything in the same room, on the same level makes it so much easier to wander in and out. Completely different crowd and the only weekender I get to dance with the Scottish contingency and dancers from up North. I also find that this is the friendliest venue.

Chalets
    We were in a Club chalet and we had a few new additions like a lovely new sofa bed, so much nicer. New curtains that kept out the light much better. A new shower curtain and what looked like a newish cooker. The beds had been replaced in May but those are a real improvement on the old rock hard beds. The only downer was the filthy carpet, it was disgusting. Thick black stains all over, really nasty. Don’t get why replace all the other bits but leave that?

Music
    Really what I expect from Ceroc a good mixture of sets. I would say erring to the more upbeat but having said that I was not there for Rocky’s pure blues set unfortunately. Was really upset that Locoman did not have any late sets in the blues room. Saturday 12:30 was his latest and really missed his early hours blues sets and Mike Sailsman only had one later set, which was a shame IMHO. Favourite set of the weekend was Tiggerbabe’s Saturday night’s set – superb and really hit the spot.
    Classes
    I only did one class and that was the tango – Voleos and Patadas, which I should imagine if you did this with a fixed partner would have been a really good class. I didn’t and I found that a lot of the men that were rotating had only done the other tango classes that week and that the difficult footwork that they were teaching the men was far too complicated and that they concentrated so much on trying to get the kick right that they did not lead the follower into the steps. I am sure that class, to a smaller audience and if taught on the ground in a circle, with men that had some lessons, would have been good. I think it may also have scared a few guys off.
    Milonga
    I made it to the milonga on Sunday night, as I got out before 2am. Really enjoyed it and found it friendlier than the average milonga. For once I did not feel intimidated and broke the rules and grabbed a couple of guys that I know, instead of sitting there like a lemon.
    Social side
    This is where Southport comes into its own, sitting chatting with people, dancing outside in the sunshine, just gives it that feel good factor. Then there was Hannah’s birthdays celebrations (gingerport). After a couple of glasses of KPS’s ‘sex on the beach’, I somehow found myself trying on everyone’s ginger wigs but as I drank more of this refreshing drink, I found my coordination going and then found that I could not try on a wig without spilling the drink on my head. Apparently it was a good evening. Also managed to fit in a visit to rubyred, who is still not able to dance yet, which was really lovely to catch up and chat.

I had not been well before this weekend and nearly did not go. I am pleased that I made the effort although did not have my usual energy levels but that did not stop my enjoyment.

The good: Ah, the dancing - as always. Lots of fantastic partners, in both the main room and even in the blues room. £16 on the electricity meter when I arrived (and when I left too, but that doesn't detract from that moment of joy on Friday evening). Fun classes. Seeing people I hadn't seen for ages and dancing with them. Dancing with my absolute favourite followers anywhere (wont name them, it'd be embarrassing - at least one of them posts on here).

The bad: Leaving aside the quality of my leading (especially in the bar), a week without enough sleep combined with work stress combined with 53 hours without food leaving me too shattered to dance on Friday night. I had dinner, nipped out for half an hour, had to come back for a lie-down and woke up again at 4am. There were some great dancers in the main room at 4am (shame the music stopped at 4.30) but it felt terrible to miss Friday night - lots of people on Saturday going "Oh, I didn't know you were here".

The ugly: Having to wait until 5pm to check in. Long queues. Idle, bored, useless Pontins staff turning everyone away. Inability to do anything - can't dance because you've been at work all day and aren't, shall we say, fresh. Can't eat, because you planned to cook. Can't relax, can't prepare for the evening, can't blinking do anything. Given the lack of sleep, lack of food and strong need to sit down, relax and start enjoying the weekend, that delay just frustrated and hurt and left me very very grumpy, so my apologies to the people that said 'hi' to me before about 9pm Friday.

However, it was another great weekend, and I want more! Hopefully with a few WCS lessons this time, but I'm still learning MJ and Blues so I'm flexible - and I'll go to bed early the whole week before and get some serious dancing in

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

I had a pretty mixed weekend

The bad
    As has been mentioned the check in wasn't as good as it normally is though not sure why folk wanted to stay in the queue for ages when you could go into the blues area and have a wee drink and a dance. The queues did seem to go down quickly enough so this was a pretty good option.

I'd agree that the use of the room for the tango and wcs is not the best use of the room and leads to overcrowding in the other rooms at peak times. Perhaps they could use it for tango and swing in the earlier and later part of the evening and from 11 to 3 have it as an extra MJ room?

Would also agree with the person who said there were some songs that really did seem to get overplayed, perhaps slightly longer DJ slots than an hour a go might help, I probably preferred it more in the older days when they tended to have 2 hour slots which let the DJ gauge the mood and try and do their thing, guess the downside is if you don't like a particular DJ's style you are stuffed.

My dancing was awful on Friday and Saturday (I blame no dancing since becoming a Dad) and would apologise for the level I was at which was a real shame as there were some tremendous dancers there that I really didn't do credit to.

Good
    On the plus I thought the chalet was pretty good and there has certainly been an improvement in the standard of the average chalet.
    Also I think Sunday is one of the most enjoyable days and nights dancing I've had for ages. Was mainly in the blues room where I really enjoyed all the music, I especially enjoyed the set just after dinner time which had more of a Latin feel to it as well as the last 3 or 4 hours, especially Mark's closing set.
    Also felt I got my groove back and was dancing better on Sunday, once the confidence improves dancing is so much more fun!
    Getting driven down and my chalet mate who is a star

Overall I hope the missus and Chalie come to the next one as this was the main thing missing for me.

Thread Information