• Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's going where? Weekend 14th/15th/16th October 2011

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Who's going where? Weekend 14th/15th/16th October 2011

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    If you don't like it, don't go. What part of that is difficult?
    Well the Ceroc weekender websites don't always have a lot of information on the teachers or workshops very long before the weekend itself, by which time tickets can be hard to come by, for women at least.

So a lot of people need to decide whether or not to go before they know whether they will "like it" as far as the teaching is concerned.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Well the Ceroc weekender websites don't always have a lot of information on the teachers or workshops very long before the weekend itself, by which time tickets can be hard to come by, for women at least.

So a lot of people need to decide whether or not to go before they know whether they will "like it" as far as the teaching is concerned.
    However they do have the schedule for the previous year which, unless the new one has replaced it, is always available when booking.

In this case the freestyle times look like a copy and paste job so hard to complain about.

However the lack of WCS classes and masterclasses and possibly PODs is something that wouldn't have been anticipated

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Maybe, but it's not like anyone goes to a weekender for classes anyway.

Maybe, but it's not like anyone goes to a weekender for classes anyway.
    Stop talking *******s.... just because you don't...the classes are always bursting at the seams and some of them offer a great introduction to new dance forms e.g. Tango, WCS, Lindy..

Play nice....oh and happy birthday...
    Last edited by Kazibaby; 14th-October-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Shame on you for being so sarcastic

Thank you Gerry!

Shame there are never ever any other weekenders which ever teach any WCS or have any WCS guest stars.
    Don't worry David, I shall be taking myself next year to a weekend which is completely WCS! However the point I wanted to make (and obviously failed) is that Ceroc are making no effort to offer anything other than Ceroc-based classes and teachers plus tango and it would be nice to have more of a mix.
    As also previously mentioned, the programme isn't available till about 2 weeks before the event and us girlies have to book months in advance to ensure a place.
    Lastly I beg to differ about the music - you can't dance WCS to all jive music and vice versa.

[QUOTE
    Glads, dance some swing in the blues room, will be much fun!![/QUOTE]
    Thanks Dave, will you ask me for a dance?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kazibaby View Post
    Stop talking *******s.... just because you don't...
    Actually, I do. Last time I went to a Ceroc weekender, I did a Zumba class, a dance psychology class and a couple of AT classes. But I didn't expect them to change my life (they didn't). I simply meant that no-one makes their selection of weekender based on classes. They make their selections based on location, time, and which of their mates will be going.
    the classes are always bursting at the seams and some of them offer a great introduction to new dance forms e.g. Tango, WCS, Lindy..
    I don't believe that's true. I don't believe it's possible to do a decent introduction to a new dance form when teaching 300 people. I certainly couldn't do it, but possibly you're more talented than me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glads View Post
    Don't worry David, I shall be taking myself next year to a weekend which is completely WCS! However the point I wanted to make (and obviously failed) is that Ceroc are making no effort to offer anything other than Ceroc-based classes and teachers plus tango and it would be nice to have more of a mix.
    For this weekender, there's a "Tango bias". So what? For other weekenders, there's a "WCS bias", but I don't go on whingeing about how horrible it is to have such a bias.

As also previously mentioned, the programme isn't available till about 2 weeks before the event and us girlies have to book months in advance to ensure a place.
    So are you honestly saying you'd have not booked the weekend if you'd known that it would have no WCS classes?

Really?

Lastly I beg to differ about the music - you can't dance WCS to all jive music and vice versa.
    Yes, I know that. Unfortunately many beginner WCS dancers seem to be massively ignorant of that. Not to mention being unaware of the space and floorcarft differences between MJ and WCS.

Who got your knickers in a twist then?

I don't believe that's true. I don't believe it's possible to do a decent introduction to a new dance form when teaching 300 people. I certainly couldn't do it, but possibly you're more talented than me.
    The teachers this weekend managed it very well....shame you missed it.....

Blog Entries

The teachers this weekend managed it very well....
    How do you know? Did anyone actually dance tango freestyle after never having done it before? Or are you just, you know, making it up?

If you could provide details of the classes, then I'd be interested to hear them.

I have the greatest respect for Alexandra and Pablo, and I'll be seeing them on Saturday. But I don't believe it's possible to teach anyone anything of real value in weekender classes, they're simply booty calls.

Blog Entries

Who got your knickers in a twist then?
    Tell you what, you stop making silly comments and I'll stop responding to them, how's that sound?

I agree with Glads "silly comments".

I also miss the WCS classes at Ceroc weekenders, - they used to always have them, not sure why they dont anymore. Of course it's not the only reason I go to a weekender, and yes, there's plenty of other places I can do WCS classes, but, like David says, it's a good opportunity to meet new Westies from different parts of the country. WCS is relatively small in the UK, so I always welcome dancing/meeting new faces.

I did my first WCS class at Southport last year - 2 x 1 hour lessons with Brent and Kellese, - I did actually learn something (as well as met new people), and it must have been a good introduction to WCS as, a year and a half later i've hardly danced anything else since.
    Last edited by Phil_dB; 18th-October-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    I agree with Glads "silly comments".
    Which ones?

I also miss the WCS classes at Ceroc weekenders, - they used to always have them, not sure why they dont anymore.
    Do they not have them at all, or was that just for that one weekender?

Of course it's not the only reason I go to a weekender,
    Thing is, 90% of the feedback I read has "I didn't go to any of the classes" on it. It almost seems a badge of pride, along with the obligatory "And I stayed up All Night, get me, I'm cool!" comments. So it seems strange when people then complain about the classes.

As I said, I do go to some classes, but I don't expect to learn a new dance from them, or even get a more-than-superficial-and-probably-warped idea of what the dance is about.

and yes, there's plenty of other places I can do WCS classes, but, like David says, it's a good opportunity to meet new Westies from different parts of the country. WCS is relatively small in the UK, so I always welcome dancing/meeting new faces.
    Can't you tell from the snooty look on their faces?

Do they not have them at all, or was that just for that one weekender?
    AFAIK none of the Ceroc weekenders have had them for a while now.

I don't know if the types of classes they have are driven by which teachers are employed, or whether it's more thought out than that.... (?)

Thing is, 90% of the feedback I read
    ...on this forum I presume, - which must equate to a tiny percentage of Ceroc weekender attendees

"I didn't go to any of the classes" It almost seems a badge of pride
    Haha - yes, so true!

(wonder why?)

So it seems strange when people then complain about the classes.
    Proof is in the pudding though, - all the WCS classes i've done at Ceroc weekenders were packed out, - so there's obviously a demand.

As I said, I do go to some classes, but I don't expect to learn a new dance from them, or even get a more-than-superficial-and-probably-warped idea of what the dance is about.
    I dont think anyone's going to learn a new dance from a couple of classes, but people who have maybe only ever done Ceroc are more likely to dip their toes into something new whilst they're at a weekender, then they are to seek out and travel to a new style dance class during their working week.

I'm not just refering to beginner/introductory classes though, - I'd be very pleased to see WCS intermediate/master classes too.

Blog Entries

AFAIK none of the Ceroc weekenders have had them for a while now.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I just assumed that there were WCS classes in the same way there are AT classes. But yes, looking at the Bliss programme, you're right. The Lux schedule had a few WCS classes and a WCS evening, but it sounds like there's not so much emphasis on WCS in Ceroc weekenders at the moment. Interesting.

I don't know if the types of classes they have are driven by which teachers are employed, or whether it's more thought out than that.... (?)
    I assume it's more thought-out - thinking about it, it's been a while since "Stars of WCS" graced Ceroc weekenders. I can think of a few reasons off the top of my head:

1. Money: it's expensive to get US "Swing Superstars" over
    2. Differentiation: some of the Jive Addiction weekenders seem to have gone largely WCS-biased, perhaps Ceroc wants to put clear orange-and-black water between them?
    3. Demand: maybe the people going to the weekenders simply don't want WCS classes?

...on this forum I presume, - which must equate to a tiny percentage of Ceroc weekender attendees
    Sure, but I was responding to a post from a forum member...

Haha - yes, so true!

(wonder why?)
    Insecurity. Classes Are Not Cool. It's More Cool to stay up all night then whinge about how tired you are afterwards, having had approximately 2.34 minutes' sleep all weekend. Apparently.

What do I know, I still go to classes myself. Which, yes, is my badge of pride

Proof is in the pudding though, - all the WCS classes i've done at Ceroc weekenders were packed out, - so there's obviously a demand.
    Yeah... wonder why they've been dropped then?

Insecurity. Classes Are Not Cool. It's More Cool to stay up all night then whinge about how tired you are afterwards, having had approximately 2.34 minutes' sleep all weekend. Apparently.

What do I know, I still go to classes myself. Which, yes, is my badge of pride
    I was told once that at Ceroc weekenders "all the 'good' dancers don't do classes", - so maybe some people think classes are beneath them

Yeah... wonder why they've been dropped then?
    November Camber schedule is still to be finalised, - time will tell what's offered there..

Blog Entries

I was told once that at Ceroc weekenders "all the 'good' dancers don't do classes", - so maybe some people think classes are beneath them
    Good dancers do classes. That's what makes them good dancers. Good dancers also do practice, take privates, and work on technique - but I'm guessing all those concepts are probably alien to the person who told you that.

Only a bad dancer thinks that dancing comes naturally.

Tell you what, you stop making silly comments and I'll stop responding to them, how's that sound?
    Sorry you didn't like my comments David, I agree the one about knickers and twists was a bit silly, but I thought you were uneccessarily sarcastic in your response to my original comment, which was not a 'whinge' as you called it, merely an observation

Thread Information