Thread: Advice for a new blogger?

Advice for a new blogger?

After years of faffing, I've finally started my (non-dance) blog. I've gone with Wordpress.com and have got some elementary links to FB and Twitter enabled (not yet sure about how I want the link to LinkedIn to work). I'm curious as to any learning stories or advice from those who have already started down their own blogging experience.

Blog Entries

Re: Advice for a new blogger?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    After years of faffing, I've finally started my (non-dance) blog. I've gone with Wordpress.com and have got some elementary links to FB and Twitter enabled (not yet sure about how I want the link to LinkedIn to work). I'm curious as to any learning stories or advice from those who have already started down their own blogging experience.
    It all depends what you hope to achieve from it Gus.
    Is it just to note down your thoughts for your own benefit? To drive traffic to your website to sell stuff? To build a name for yourself? To help a community of like-minded people?

I blog on two sites, but nothing especially interesting unless you're interested in what I'm doing

Its the standard "getting reputation/Personal brand" established prior to launching new consultancy practice. The content is/will be mainly in the self-development; change management; business architecture/analysis arena .... so fairly limited general appeal I'd guess.

Blog Entries

In that case, I would suggest seeing what everyone else is doing and either come up with a USP, or see what works.

One very, very big thing that I would do if I were you, is create a new twitter account and get tweeting. Follow as many relevant people as you can and tweet relevant interesting things. It doesn't matter whether you like the media or not, it is a fact that well used, it can drive a lot of traffic to your blog. If you make it interesting or newsworthy enough, people start re-tweeting you and word spreads even further. Twitter isn't for everyone, but it can be a powerful tool.

Once you're up and running and you have a little traffic, consider inviting guest bloggers that may be big names in your field, or seek permission to re-post their info. Possibly even try to interview them. Like most things, establishing a brand/presence is hard work and doing it in new media is no different to traditional media.

Thread Information