Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hemsby September 2011 - The Aftermath

Hemsby September 2011 - The Aftermath

Me and Gav had to come home today so I thought I'd get the ball rolling with a review.

This was our first Hemsby. We wanted to go in June, but we left it too late to get tickets. This weekender sells out quickly and having been it's easy to see why.

The good

We arrived on Friday afternoon at about 4 to a well organised reception, no queues to get our keys. The holiday camp is probably not to everyone's taste, but I loved the quaint 1950's style chalets and the grounds were well kept.
    The front of house staff all seemed to be locals who were friendly and enthusiastic at all times...you could actually chat to them...in English.
    Our apartment was furthest away from the venue, but the camp is quite small so still only a 5 minute walk to the dance halls and restaurant. Our two bed apartment had an open plan kitchen/diner/living room with a fridge, microwave and oven. We only used the fridge to keep beers and milk cold. Two bathrooms and two bedrooms.
    No kids at all, this venue is adult only for all of its events.
    The food was really very good and we didn't encounter any queues at all all weekend.
    The venues were well set out with only a 10 yard walk from the main hall to the other halls. Shoe protectors were provided, but actually we didn't need them because the wet weekend we were promised, didn't materialise. Apart from one or 2 short bursts of rain, the weather was fabulous.
    Dance floors were really nice, especially in the smallest room where the daytime dancing was.
    Loved the swing music in the main room on Saturday night and everyone enjoyed dressing up in 1940's costumes. The DJ mostly chose swing tracks you can ceroc or Lindy Hop to so that everyone could get up and have a go.

The not so good

We went to bed at 4am on Friday night/Saturday morning and it was only once we got into bed that we noticed our mattress, quilt and bed linen reeked of damp and the mattress was knackered with springs going every time you so much as blinked. We put up with it till the morning as it was the middle of the night, but went to reception in the morning to complain. Before we'd even had a chance to return to our apartment, they had sent the cleaners round with a brand new mattress, new quilt and bed linen, which they made up for us, so although our first night was horribly uncomfortable, the staff fixed it immediately and also phoned us up to see if everything was ok.

Generally, I still don't like the DJ's in the blues room, apart from Ismooth and Flynn (Errol?). I know it's subjective but the suicide blues music seems to be played almost continuously in there and it bores the crap out of me and many others I spoke to. I'd love to hear more funky blues, some swingy blues music...anything other than the same depressing stuff that was played in there. I even asked Dance Demon to play something a bit funky in his set as I was bored of the music, but I didn't like his set either (Sorry John, it just didn't do it for me). Having said all that, I didn't let it spoil me weekend, I still danced plenty and had a brilliant time. The people I like to dance with and chat to hang out in the blues room so I will have to get on with it, after all, it wasn't all bad.

Generally

I loved Hemsby. A great crowd of dancers there, enjoyed Yuval Hod and the various lessons he did, I had some amazing dances and met loads of new people. I was so gutted to have to come home early as it means I'm going to miss the live swing band tonight, which I was so looking forward to, I'm looking forward to hearing about it from those that were there until Monday. John has found a real winning combination here and we will definitely be booking for the next Jive Addiction Hemsby Weekender in March. Southport...I'm so over you.

Probably loads more stuff I'll remember, but this'll do for now. I'm off to bed.
    Last edited by Double Trouble; 18th-September-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Re: Hemsby September 2011 - The Aftermath

A few photo's from this weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images

...and a few more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hats off to JA, 'all' of the problems I moaned about last time have been addressed..

John had a giggle with me on arrival and gave me a BIG welcoming hello.. which was funny but also set the mood for the weekend

The restaurant times have been greatly extended, which helped to alleviate any signs of queuing completely.

The Bluesroom lighting has been much improved

The afternoon sets (I attended), were upbeat and definitely accesible to everyone. Hence.. the room was ROCKING! (Ha haaaa, told ya) Peter Flood played an absolute stonker!

In fact, I enjoyed 'most' of the music I heard over the weekend and at least in the evenings, there was a choice of rooms!

I had some wonderful dances and the floors definitely helped.

But probably the best thing over the weekend for me was having people I enjoy mixing with socially in attendance. I do love a good old laugh and OMG, did we LAUGH!

The only downside for me was, not realising how much the band would have a knock-on effect in the other rooms on Sunday. I'd purposely set my alarm to get over to the blues room at 11pm but had I have known it (and the WCS/Tango room) would be practically empty until midnight, I'd have had a much needed extra hour in bed!

I think having the band on so late on a Sunday was a mistake, as I spoke to people who had to leave at midnight'ish for work on Monday and they felt as though they'd wished they hadn't bothered.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The Dashing Moderator

My first time at Hemsby.

The Good
    * The organisation seemed to run pretty smoothly
    * Some excellent music during the day and also in the Blues Room in the evening. There were some cracking tracks in CJ's Mariachi set (Mussorgsky?!) and also I really enjoyed Blueshoes' set on Monday morning.
    * The dancefloors all seemed good - I had no problems in my shoes, at any rate.
    * Eating in the restaurant is more social than eating on your own in the chalet, and the food was generally OK.

The Bad:
    * The DJ in the main room after the first band set on Sunday night, who seemed to be playing a series of remixes with an added beat. Bruno Mars' Grenade is a perfectly danceable track in the normal radio edit without someone needing to spell out the beats for me. Also the main room sound system wasn't great - there was a strange ticking noise on Saturday night and I also noticed some distortion.
    * I missed the posters with the schedule of classes and DJs which used to appear at other JA events. This was especially an issue when the programme is no longer a handy pocket-sized booklet.
    * I still don't like having to go outdoors to go from the main room to the building containing the other two rooms. Even though there were shoe covers provided, it still means moving coat, bag etc. and for example it meant I didn't see some people at all on the Sunday night
    * The downside of the restaurant is you can't eat when you want to - e.g. having to be at breakfast before 10am was a bit of a constraint.

The Should've Gone to Specsavers:
    * Woman in wcs class to me: 'Has anyone ever told you, you look remarkably like Jordan Frisbee?'
    Love dance, will travel

Also my first time to Hemsby. Did have high expectations as so many people I like and trust the opinions of had said it was brilliant. Did it fulfil it - well yes, it pretty much did
    The good:
    Arrived about 5 pm to find quick and easy registration. On going back to the car, found out was about 30 secs walk from the chalet. Chalet was clean, functional, with clean deep mattress and bed linen. I actually loved having a bath (having a single occupancy meant I could relax tired legs and feet for as long as I wanted!)
    Restaurant was great, large tables made for easy way to find interaction if you were so inclined (again, having a single room meant I was often eating at odd times to my fellow locals), or keep to yourself if that was your thing. Food was tasty, cutlery was nice and clean, coffee machines, even though kept getting broken from overuse, had the tastiest moccha I've ever had a pleasure of getting from a machine . And they had cakes at dinner, which was officially scheduled to last ginormous 4.5 hours!
    Floors were fast in all rooms. There were no raised joints, bald, sticky, or wet patches anywhere (apart from one expertly cleaned by CeeJay - I will treasure the memory of you on your knees for years to come!)
    Friday night was a bit of a downer for me, probably because a few people weren't there yet. Had a few dances in the main room (that was the only night I set foot in there - thanks Roger for the funky fast dance, yum!). I didn't enjoy DD's set in the blues room till 3am at all, it was very tedious. When Bl/Shoes came one, it was a huge relief (thanks Frank), but by then I was simply too fed up.
    Saturday had 3 classes!!! I know, shocking , I almost forgot what they feel like... Saturday night was the highlight for me. Came to CJ's set about 11 pm, and due to almost everyone else watching the cabarets, had the floor to ourselves in the blues room. It was FANTASTIC! Music was played FOR us and TO us, NOT with blind determination of a DJ dead set on his playlist and disregarding the wishes of us ignorant muggles. I stayed in the blues room all night till my feet demanded I preserved a modicum of decorum to be able to exit upright instead of crawling back to the chalet.
    Sunday had another lesson, which lovely rounded off my WCS venture. I even had the guts to do some practice later on in the WCS room to CJ's mariachi set, which was, as always, superb. Sunday night had a bit of alterations between blues and WCS room, but was pretty much happy with the scene all the time.
    Some new discoveries and old favourites made for a perfect dance mixture. Thanks to all who bore my awkward attempts at WCS with such patience and good humour. Thanks to my girlies for a fun hair-pulling, bum-grabbing, body-wriggling DT Thanks to my leaders and to my follows - you rocked!
    OK, gushing's over - the not so good:
    Biggest moan - breakfast finishes at 10 am... booo. I don't want to get up before 11 anyway
    The car park path - killer on the suitcase wheels...
    Guys in the dance shop - not everyone's bloody size 12 at the largest! grrrr
    Umm, I think that's it LOL
    Conclusion - I've paid the deposits for all 3 Hemsbys next year!

I don't post too often but thought that my first trip to a 'mainstream' weekender in a while merited a bit of a change.

The Good

Accommodation was clean and well presented. OK we were in the 'nicer' chalets similar to DT mentions above but speaking to others it sounds like all of the chalets are clean even if some of them are basic. A small site as well so only a couple of minutes stroll to the dance venues from my room.

I was pleasantly surprised by the food. Again some standard cafeteria fare but well cooked and no evidence of the queues that were reported in the aftermath thread from last time around. Very helpful and efficient staff, particularly for my wife who has to have wheat and gluten free food which had to be prepared directly for her.

The layout was fine for me since I mainly danced in the one room . The floor and the sound system in the Harlequin room (for Blues and Tango) were great with lots of seating around and the bar in a partitioned off area worked well for me. The Blue Lagoon (afternoon dancing/WCS) was well set up as well, however, I'm not sure that the floor quite worked. I found the joins in the floor to be a bit of a challenge (and I don't spin) so was interested that DT said that it was OK, maybe when I danced on it on Sunday afternoon/evening it had felt the effects of a couple of days of dancing. I can't comment on the other room - I didn't go into it.

The Bad

Well nothing really..........

The Old Music Chestnut

Music is a very personal thing, and although there were periods where the selection in the Harlequin room just didn't work for me I thought that overall what I heard was a balanced mix. I don't understand the comment about suicide blues, I spent most of my time in the blues room and if anything there was far to much funky and soul stuff for me, and anyway with a WCS room I know where I'd expect to find funky. I heard good and bad choices from most of the DJs (based on my own criteria of course) but then you're never going to please all of the people all of the time.

This was my first time to this weekender and I'll use a traditional format to describe my impressions.

Very Good : Excellent food and very plentiful. The organisation of the whole weekender by John and Marianne and the Jive Addiction team was impeccable - congratulations to the whole team for a magnificent effort. Lazy Dave Plummers Classes were very good. Colin Shauls's sets in the main room on Sunday night were excellent. There were plenty of very good dancers *(see bad below).

Good : Accommodation was good considering I had the cheapest available, except I would have preferred a shower to a small bath .
    The Cabarets by Simon and Nicole, their new routine and also Yuval and Julija were very entertaining.
    Also the Performance group made a great effort after only 2 hours practice! Well done them. The number of people who entered into the spirit of the Themed Costume Night and made a great effort. The band on Sunday evening (Benny Lee and the Whistle Stop 5) were excellent for their first set and played popular tracks at a reasonable tempo for Jiving.

Not so good : The band's second set started out well but they ramped up the tempo and played 4 rather fast ones in a row. Some of the audience left at this point. A class advertised to teach how to dance in a Blues room when the music got Funky - was completely misrepresented and turned out to just be a class teaching American Blues. This wasn't the only class to be misrepresented, there was also a Latino Jive class without much Latino in it. Rather disappointed with the classes. Likewise, although this was billed as "simply the best gathering of Blues DJs in the Country", I found much of the music played in the Blues room while I was there was disappointing...pretty fast and quirky and not really to my particular taste.

Bad : Very hot in the Main room for the freestyles and also in both rooms during the lessons although the weather wasn't that warm outside. It really needed several extra fans to keep it comfortable. *The takeover of much of the dancefloor at times by certain dancers who demanded very long slots to dance in regardless of what was going on around them. They know who they are. I watched many collisions which could have been avoided with just a small amount of consideration for people dancing around them.

Ugly : Nothing that bad! I really enjoyed the weekender and would definitely go again..

For anyone interested there are a few photos here .

Just out of curiosity, can someone post the teacher/subject of the classes?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Just out of curiosity, can someone post the teacher/subject of the classes?
    There's a list on the programme here.

I especially like "Tango Even More Improved"

Thanks to everyone who posted informative and detailed reviews - good work people, your efforts are appreciated. It sounds to me as if Hemsby is certainly starting to look the part.

Myles & Tessa attended the last Hemsby, so when I booked this one I was hoping that again they would be some guest WCS teachers from across the seas - nothing at all wrong with Pete & Cat (quite the opposite), but it is always good to get tuition from new teachers for a change. Also, having some pros from across the pond seems to pull in more WCS dancers to the event, - so without that I was wondering how many westies there would be to dance with.... :s - I needn't have worried, - walking into the WCS room on Friday night I was relieved to see a packed room - music was really good all night in there, and I enjoyed a fantastic Friday night of dancing

Saturday afternoon dancing was superb, - a real buzzy atmosphere, - Saturday night in the blues room was again really good, but the WCS for some reason was very quiet most of the night

As usual, quite a few people left for home on Sunday evening, and I found Sunday night/Monday morning a little quiet also... - for me, it is this time which is often the best night of dancing at Ceroc weekenders, but that wasn't the case at Hemsby

I was really disappointed that two of Amir's classes were on at 9:30am on both Saturday and Sunday! How ridiculous!?!

There was plenty of Jive classes, - why not put some of the more beginnery ones on at this ridiculous hour (people newer to weekenders would probably go to bed earlier and be able to make it).

I wasn't happy that the WCS classes were scheduled so very early also

Unfortunately I missed all the WCS and Tango classes. The only class i made was a line-dance class (Bachata) - good fun

Overall I had a fantastic time, - I thought the music was brilliant (I spent most of my time the WCS room, good few hours in the blues and about half an hour in the main room (every time I walked past the main room they were playing decent music, a far cry from a typical bang-bang sets played at a Ceroc weekender main room)

Food was really good, and the WCS dance floor was lush, prodancefloors, and I think they're supplying the floors at MSO next week too

My only other complaint was the bloody cleaning lady, who woke me up at 9am on Monday morning banging on the door, and then was very rude and abrupt moaning to us about how many rooms she had to clean, how we had to be out at the crack of 10am blah blah blah

My first Hemsby and my first Jive Addiction weekend, so it was quite nice to go into unknown territory.

First Impressions, Nice smooth check in, good booklet of activities. Not a familiar face in sight. I think I probably only knew about 50 people there and it would appear an older crowd on mean average than Ceroc.

Chalets we had the one down from top and all I can say is odd design, front door opens into bedroom 1, walk through that to get to bathroom and bedroom 2. Quilt not big enough for the bed – Why??. Very thin walls, almost joined in with my neighbours conversation and singing

Music – Only went to the blues room, did not make it to the main room as it was in a separate building, which for me is the downside for the venue but there were shoe covers provided. I have decided that I definitely prefer chill out to bland blues. I found a lot of blues sets were too bland and samey and at times just trying to be too clever. Highlights Saturday night ISmooth’s (Levi) Absolutely brilliant funky set, loved it, CJ Mariachi sets, real music varied styles and Beccy latin influence the rest unfortunately just did not do it for me. I did not make it to the end on Sunday because I’m afraid as much as I like RevDrop and he is a wonderful dancer but sorry RevDrop the set was just too slow, more like what I’d expect at the end of the evening not the set before last. I may have missed some DJ’s sets so this is not meant as a negative but just that I think the tempo and type of music needs to be more varied and more distinct, as at times you could not tell one DJ’s set from another other than the 3 that I mentioned.

Dancing – Fantastic, met some lovely new dancers, very friendly, seemed a high standard and never came across any hot shots. Daytime dancing not too much going on in the Saturday afternoon but Sunday afternoon was much better.

Classes – I did 3 classes1st a lindy class and felt theteacher just loved the sound of his own voice too much and spoke to much about hold frame etc for a short workshop. Blues with Asif (yawn), too much talk and boring presentation. Lastly a tango lesson with Amir, brilliant as always, a good balance of technical and practical. The bonus was Amir and his partner coming round the class and watching and commenting where appropriate.
    The other classes I really wanted to do were on really early. I think this was bad planning as things like WCS Lindy and Tango are more likely to be attended by people who can already dance Jive and are likely to be freestyling to quite late. Those newer to Jive are not so likely to be out until 5-6am as they want to do lots of lessons. It would be better if possible to schedule the more specialist classes pm rather than am.

Social aspects – Here is where theweekend surpasses. All eating together, having some wonderful conversations and laughs, none more that the Sunday lunchtime G Spot navigator conversation. I don’t think I have laughed so much in ages. Another nice feature was the dance floors being surrounded by comfortable sofas (too comfortable at times), good place to sit out, chat and watch the dancing

A great weekend left on a high and would definitely book again; although probably not March but in June, in place of Viva Las Vegas, as that is my least favourite Camber.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    As usual, quite a few people left for home on Sunday evening, and I found Sunday night/Monday morning a little quiet also... - for me, it is this time which is often the best night of dancing at Ceroc weekenders, but that wasn't the case at Hemsby
    That's novel. That is a complaint I have about Ceroc weekenders relative to the earlier Jive Addiction events.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    My only other complaint was the bloody cleaning lady, who woke me up at 9am on Monday morning banging on the door, and then was very rude and abrupt moaning to us about how many rooms she had to clean, how we had to be out at the crack of 10am blah blah blah
    The two complaints might be related.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    That's novel. That is a complaint I have about Ceroc weekenders relative to the earlier Jive Addiction events.
    My experience with Storm and Lux this year has been that the Sunday freestyles were the best. Fridays were a waste of time, and Saturdays everyone seems to be too obsessed with eating / dressing up / pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    My experience with Storm and Lux this year has been that the Sunday freestyles were the best. Fridays were a waste of time, and Saturdays everyone seems to be too obsessed pulling.
    So were you successful?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    So were you successful?
    I didn't go on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    My experience with Storm and Lux this year has been that the Sunday freestyles were the best. Fridays were a waste of time, and Saturdays everyone seems to be too obsessed with eating / dressing up / pulling.
    This was not the case at Hemsby. Saturday night was brilliant but sunday was dead and by about 4am there was hardly anyone left - Have never gone to bed that early at a weekender

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Generally, I still don't like the DJ's in the blues room, apart from Ismooth and Flynn (Errol?). I know it's subjective but the suicide blues music seems to be played almost continuously in there and it bores the crap out of me and many others I spoke to. I'd love to hear more funky blues, some swingy blues music...anything other than the same depressing stuff that was played in there. I even asked Dance Demon to play something a bit funky in his set as I was bored of the music, but I didn't like his set either (Sorry John, it just didn't do it for me). Having said all that, I didn't let it spoil me weekend, I still danced plenty and had a brilliant time. The people I like to dance with and chat to hang out in the blues room so I will have to get on with it, after all, it wasn't all bad.
    No need to apologise Sam. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it!!.....There were a lot of people who did, and said as much to me...but I know it probably wasn't to everyone's taste. i listened to most of the music in the blues room, and there was a fair amount of variety in there from the DJs. All of my sets were late on, and it narrows down what you can play when other DJs have probably already played some of the stuff you were planning on playing. That said, i did think that there was a fair old smattering of funky stuff being played, and was asked to play something a bit smoother by a few people. Smooth has always kind of been my forte, but I do like to go funky sometimes, and my set in the WCS room on Sunday night would bear that out. However if the DJ thats on before you has already played the funkier tracks that you usually play, it kinda scuppers that a bit
    However..all feedback is gratefully accepted ...moreso when it's constructive...so points noted

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    This was not the case at Hemsby. Saturday night was brilliant but sunday was dead and by about 4am there was hardly anyone left - Have never gone to bed that early at a weekender
    I guess a lot of people left earlier than normal then, I wonder why?

Thread Information