Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Too good to ask"?

The Forum Legend

Re: "Too good to ask"?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    You've never asked me.
    I still don't (after all these years) know who you are! When was the last time we were at a dance at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    When was the last time we were at a dance at the same time?
    Circa 2005.

Daisy
    (An Unreasonable Little Flower)

Maybe. But the more (and earlier) that leaders realise in their dancing progression that it's not all about learnt moves, but rather about movement, weight, tension, body positions, and even the music (probably other things too!), then the better. And while that may certainly be easier for people who have been dancing longer, and are more confident, the earlier that people appreciate this, the better the dancer they possibly can become.
    I still don't see that anything you've said contradicts my original point. I don't want to get into semantics here, but the concept of 'moves' can easily be substituted by 'movement' or 'dancing' or whatever you like - it was just the sentences got too ugly for words. Perhaps if you replaced the word 'moves' with 'stuff' it would work better. The point, and I'll keep repeating it until someone convinces me I'm wrong, is that the lead is constrained by their own knowledge/ability/capacity in ways a follow is not. Everything you've described are learnt skills (not necessarily taught - but I don't think I ever said that you only know what you're taught: that would be nonsense).
    And I'm equally sure that you also don't just lead the moves you "know", as per your original statement
    I only know three moves (it used to be four; I'm getting forgetful).

Quote Originally Posted by geoff 332 View Post
    .......The lead is constrained by their own knowledge/ability/capacity in ways a follow is not.........
    Yes but....

When pushed at bit, we have an amazing knack of remembering things we though we had forgot
    An experienced follow will tease out of you, "stuff" you did not think you could do

It really difficult to pluck up courage and ask a hot shot to dance with you
    but in my limited experience, the reward can be worth it

One of things I love about big weekenders is, you often have no idea whether the person you are asking is a teacher or a complete beginner

Yes you can cheat, and watch them dancing but it is more fun to ask a stranger at random

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    You've never asked me.
    He's asked me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    I only know three moves (it used to be four; I'm getting forgetful).
    I know two - step and pivot.

I'm getting the hang of the step I think. Long way to go on the pivot.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    He's asked me
    Well. Who wouldn't? :P

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Yes but....

When pushed at bit, we have an amazing knack of remembering things we though we had forgot
    An experienced follow will tease out of you, "stuff" you did not think you could do
    Do you mean that when a follower hijacks, plays or just misses their spotting, you have to change the move you would have used, as you HAVE to figure out how to get back on track??

Oh and for those who don't know, I'm definitely in the play section with people that know me well, and guaranteed to spin offline ALL the time!!

If It doesn't look that way when I dance, then it is entirely to the lead's credit... They obviously know me well and are compensating for my drifting

WT

Blog Entries

Well. Who wouldn't? :P
    Pretty much everyone, I reckon, hence starting this thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    Do you mean that when a follower hijacks, plays or just misses their spotting, you have to change the move you would have used, as you HAVE to figure out how to get back on track??
    Well, yes, obviously. If a follower doesn't follow, any competent leader will be able to adjust to the change. In AT (which admittedly is more lead-and-follow than MJ), if my follower suddenly decides to change her weight, I'll simply change my movements to accommodate her (and, depending on how often she does it, decide whether to dance again with her or not).

But I don't think that's what Phil was talking about - he was discussing the ability of a follower to "lift the game" of their partner. It's far more sophisticated than simple hijacking-level actions. If I dance with a superb follower, I get the confidence to try things that I wouldn't otherwise attempt - because I have confidence that my follower will help me and if I make a mistake, she's good enough to be able to compensate for it. CeeCee, Lily, Plum - followers of that calibre will be able to help me raise my game that way. And that's nothing to do with the moves they do or don't do.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I agree.. sometimes I can tell when a lead gets 'stuck', often they're repeating the same sequence of moves over and over, (probably cos they've had a brain freeze and can't get out of the cycle. And all it takes is for me to offer the other hand or align my body in a way which would make it impossible for them to repeat the same move again and the cycle is broken
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I think in a way that is what I'm doing too, though I wasn't thinking about it as technically as that..

My reactions are probably predictable too, so I need more practice at more variations, so that I can mix replies to any family of moves..

There was a thread on here about your least favourite move, and mine at the moment is the catapult into ordinary ceroc spin .
    I love the bit behind the leader's back, and I know there are various endings the leader can add, or that I can steal into to prevent or alter the spin, it is just that I can never think of them. (I usually remember 1 variation a track and a half later, then my current partner doesn't do the move at all, so I can't practice it grr..)

WT makes a mental note to sign up to a variations class to prevent brain freeze

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    But I don't think that's what Phil was talking about - he was discussing the ability of a follower to "lift the game" of their partner. It's far more sophisticated than simple hijacking-level actions. .
    A good follow will "lift the game" using a variety of techniques

Hijacking - Yes
    Simple-Rarely

I cant describe, what an amazing follow did, at a recent dance in Bath, but deciding to ask, some one out of my league, for a dance, was definitely a very good idea

"What the follower did" - sounds like a mystery drama. I take it your going to dance again?

WT

Thread Information