It seems more important than the security at the Olympics
    It is clearly very very import
    But can someone explain why ??

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: This Phone-hacking thing

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Firstly, because I'd quite like my local police force, paid for by my taxes, to be my police force instead of News International's own security wing. I realise that may be aiming high, so failing that, if the Met can go for a few years without having massive institutional corruption and internal criminality, I'd be happy.

Secondly, because this raises massive questions about the judgement of the Prime Minister of our country. If it turns out that he ignored a lot of advice on hiring Andy Coulson, what does that say about his character and ability to take decisions based on the national interest, rather than - say - what News Corp / The Daily Mail want? What happens next time he has to take a key economic or foreign policy decision?

Thirdly, and most obviously, because some of our newspapers think it's OK to invade the privacy of - and interfere with the investigation into - a thirteen year old child, who was abducted and murdered. They think that's OK. They don't care that they obstructed the investigation, or that they gave the family false hope, or even that they committed crimes.

Well, it's not OK. I don't care how humble Murdoch feels, I don't care how many times he says "Sorry", I want him and his smarmy son to resign.

While that may be a good thing David it wont put a stop to the cheating,coniving,corrupt,deceitful,lying and downright dishonest individuals that hold positions of power in politics,industry and sport from lining their pockets at the expense of the man in the street.

But can someone explain why??
    The media is one of the most fundamental building blocks of a free, liberal and democratic society. They provide us with the information that we use when voting and otherwise holding politicians to account. Significant corruption in the media is a very bad sign for any society. When it comes in the form of bribing police, then it's extremely bad.

In the UK all prime ministers starting with Margaret Thatcher have had an unhealthily close relationship with the News International empire. In the US, the influence of Fox News on politics is truly astonishing, being a strong (and frequently dishonest) advocate for the right - and republican's in particular. If Fox News didn't exist, then the political debate in the US would shift to the left and away from the war. Should they fall, it will redefine the political landscape in two of the most significant countries in the world. Given the politicians these two countries make critical decisions that affect the Olympics, the war in Libya, and the economy are strongly influenced by the media, I'd say it's rather important.

I also don't think it's limited to News International. I'd be very surprised if all of the tabloids (particularly the Daily Mail) aren't engaged in similarly dodgy practices. It may well spread to the more respectable broadsheets and other media institutions as well. Personally, I don't care if the Murdochs quit or not. A good outcome would be to have the media held to a set of standards around how they get information and telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    The media is one of the most fundamental building blocks of a free, liberal and democratic society.

I also don't think it's limited to News International. I'd be very surprised if all of the tabloids (particularly the Daily Mail) aren't engaged in similarly dodgy practices. It may well spread to the more respectable broadsheets and other media institutions as well.
    I think sadly you are probably right and that this is just the beginning. I agree that a free press is essential for a democratic society, but with freedom comes responsibilities to report and inform and allow the reader to make their own decisions. Too many papers now indoctrinate and sensationalise and I think that is where the corruption creeps in IMHO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    While that may be a good thing David it wont put a stop to the cheating,coniving,corrupt,deceitful,lying and downright dishonest individuals that hold positions of power in politics,industry and sport from lining their pockets at the expense of the man in the street.
    Well, blimey, I never said it would.

It's not a cure for cancer, but at least it's applying a long-overdue bandage.

And I quite like the fact that Parliament (rather than Government), after decades of impotence, has finally realised that they hold actual power.

Blog Entries

I think it's all answered in this short educational video...

HTH

Blog Entries

And now, it appears, the proponent of "Sarah's law" was responsible for the hacking of, yes you guessed it... Sara Payne.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wasn't really surprised to read all the stuff that happened with News Corp and the Murdoch family, but still shaking my head in disbelief at the depth of penetration in all institutions, begin government, police, etc...

Made me glad I cancelled my Sky sub earlier in the year, and now avoiding Murdoch publications as much as possible.

Reading Hugh Grant and George Michael's blogs & tweets has been fascinating though...
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Blog Entries

And now the guy who threw the pie at Rupert Murdoch has been given a jail sentence. I suppose the judge needs to make an example of him to deter future flan-flinging...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14370398

Thread Information