View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about dancing with beginners?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only dance with beginners.

1 1.30%
  • I enjoy dancing with beginners and actively seek them out (as well as more experienced dancers).

23 29.87%
  • I often enjoy dancing with beginners but prefer to dance with more experienced dancers.

24 31.17%
  • I’m happy to dance with beginners if asked, but otherwise I dance with more experienced dancers.

19 24.68%
  • I don’t really enjoy dancing with beginners but I will dance with them if asked.

4 5.19%
  • I don’t enjoy dancing with beginners and avoid them as much as possible.

1 1.30%
  • I don’t dance with beginners.

0 0%
  • I am Anton Du Beke.

5 6.49%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with beginners

Dancing with beginners

Following on from this discussion, I thought a poll might be appropriate. Note that this one isn't about whether or not you learn anything from dancing with beginners. It's just about your personal preferences.

The poll is anonymous so don't be afraid to tell the truth.
    Last edited by Baruch; 18th-December-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Re: Dancing with beginners

I have gone for number 2

"I enjoy dancing with beginners and actively seek them out (as well as more experienced dancers)."

I enjoy the feedback from dancing with a beginner, who, when led well, finds that they CAN do it. The big smile they give me, puts a big smile on my face.

Obviously, I also enjoy dancing with very experienced dancers, as I can switch off and just enjoy the music and the flow of the dance.

We were taught a bit of Tango as a fun class. I tried to repeat it in freestyle with experienced dancers but I could not make it work seamlessly in the middle of an MJ dance, even with partners that had done the class. However I tried it with a beginner - no problem. Also had three minutes of tremendous fun with another beginner that could hardly dance a step. Add in a few right-track right-partner regular dances andit made for a fun and varied night.

There's no option for "I'll dance with anybody regardless of experience level"...

CheesyRobMan the dance slut

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    There's no option for "I'll dance with anybody regardless of experience level"...
    I would say that's covered by the second option.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I would say that's covered by the second option.
    To me the second option means you actively choose to dance with beginners, rather than just not caring whether they are experienced or not as I think CRM was implying.

When i'm on Taxi duty, then of course I actively seek beginners out, and many of them will seek me out in freestyle dancing too. I will never mind dancing with newbies, but when not on Taxi duty, I wouldn't say I would actively seek them out.

When I am at a freestyle, the only time I actively seek out certain people is for particular songs or because I really want a dance with that person, who is usually going to be a more experienced dancer. When I'm just roaming about, I'll ask anyone that looks interested in dancing, be they newbie or vet.

There is a definately a thrill when a newbie can't believe they just did all those moves they didn't know and really enjoyed themselves. But to say that thrill was better than a really amazing dance with someone, well it just isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    We were taught a bit of Tango as a fun class. I tried to repeat it in freestyle with experienced dancers but I could not make it work seamlessly in the middle of an MJ dance, even with partners that had done the class. However I tried it with a beginner - no problem.
    Not surprisingly, often the case - no bad habits or anticipation!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    To me the second option means you actively choose to dance with beginners
    I took it as that as well.

I would actively seek out beginners and very advanced dancers.

Otherwise it is friends and those who ask me.

Beginners, I would see as those who are still finding thier feet (or looking for thier right foot). I was a beginner once, I still remember the kind ladies who asked me to dance my 4 moves with them, and smiled at me in return and thanked me for the dance.

It is the same when joining any new club. Those who are kind to you when you first join, you remember for a long time. A beginner is someone coming into that established club, feeling a bit out of it, looking for anyone to show friendship.

It is not just about the dance, it is about showing acceptance and making people feel welcome.

i put i often enjoy dancing with beginners but prefer to dance with more experienced dancers
    this isnt really the full story as i love to dance no matter who it is with so long as they are enjoying the dance as well and especially if they are expressing that enjoyment with a smile

I do actively seek out beginners (not that it's that hard if you go to the beginners class!) and ask them to dance in freestyle.

Of course there's the enjoyment of proving the usual claims that they're not that good because they're only a beginner to be often unfounded, the responses after leading them into a new move (even something as basic as an Octopus!), but an added bonus is that if you make a mistake they always assume it was their fault!

Personally At most classes I find there are not enough great songs I want to dance to, so when I do get a song I like I tend to want to dance with a follower who knows what she's doing so that I can play more with styling and tricks.
    Some beginners are fairly natural followers so can be good to dance with, and also will become the next very good dancers with time, so its in your best interest to help beginners.
    For the last year or so Ive found it difficult to keep moves simple however, so I tend to leave it to less experienced dancers to ask them initially, there also seems to be such a high turnover in people that I tend to mainly help the ones who seem very keen to learn
    On another point tango moves are best done with tango dancers with significant experience or with a regular partner, Ive found some dancers with a small amount of tango experience to be extremely difficult to lead parts of argentine tango with, I tend to keep it for girls I know have significant experience which I find works far better. (knowing how to lead the move properly from actually doing argentine tango classes saves having to verbally tip off your dance partner on what your doing also, argentine tango does seem to be becoming particularily popular with blues dancers)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Razzle View Post
    Personally At most classes I find there are not enough great songs I want to dance to,
    You'd think all songs would be great. After all, someone thought they were great enough to compose, perform, record and publish. However, it's all down to taste and "great" for one person is rubbish for another.

As someone who DJs 4 or 5 times a week I like to think that someone in the room considers every song I play is great - the problem is that person changes with each change of track. It all depends who is in the room. And then there's the order effect too - play too many fast or slow songs in a row and it doesn't matter how "great" you make the next track, people will not like it!

Quite true, its impossible to keep everyone happy music wise even when there are 3 rooms at weekenders, but I personally find different venues place emphasis on different types of music, and I have venues I go to were I dance most of the night and others where I dance much less and its primarily based on the music, but this is straying away from the main point of the thread!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Razzle View Post
    but this is straying away from the main point of the thread!
    My work here is done

we were all beginners once in our lives, no one should be so up themselves to refuse, ignore or diss beginners. It is a breath of fresh air sometimes to dance with people who have come into dancing with no pretentions and just love to dance. As someone who is back in the beginners section of a dance, (tango in case you didn't know already), that feeds my passion. It it such a compliment and extremely beautiful, when someone excuses my faux pas, (taken in its literal meaning, false steps), but recognises that I feel the music and love the musicality and connection. Get over it I say to those so called purists, self made experts and have fun, that is what dancing it all about to me anyway.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    we were all beginners once in our lives
    Indeed, and we were once new people to step into a group of people, who do not know us yet.

You can ignore a new person in a group, or you can show a welcome to that person.
    Myself, I like to stand up, shake thier hand and welcome them.

I think it is rather sad, when people are so wraped up in themselves, that they do not notice new people coming into that social environment.

Having travelled extensively across the world, both in dance and work, it is those people who make you feel welcome, that you remember.

What does it cost you to dance with a new person... 3 minutes of your time?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Indeed, and we were once new people to step into a group of people, who do not know us yet.

You can ignore a new person in a group, or you can show a welcome to that person.
    Myself, I like to stand up, shake thier hand and welcome them.

I think it is rather sad, when people are so wraped up in themselves, that they do not notice new people coming into that social environment.

Having travelled extensively across the world, both in dance and work, it is those people who make you feel welcome, that you remember.

What does it cost you to dance with a new person... 3 minutes of your time?
    Thank you for this Martin, you probably have no idea how pertinent your post is to me at this very moment in time. I've just had a dreadful experience last night where I went to a milonga and the people there were so cliquey and unfriendly it was dreadful. I came away thinking maybe I should give up tango, maybe the long apprenticeship is just not worth it and I will be thought of as a beginner for ever and ever. I have to say it is the local venues that are the worst, whenever I go away from home things fare much better, perhaps its a new face in the crowd, I don't know. I just know that as an experienced jiver I could never make someone feel like I feel right now.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

It's important to realise that they are misguided, not you.

I hope last night doesn't put you off going to Tango Rosie.

It's a know the rules to break the rules thing, I reckon. So the pedants are not as fantastic as they think they are!

Dance with everyone.

Refuse no one.

Dance like you'r naked in your bathroom.

Simple philosophy, sweat for Wales.

Ps I dont do polls, however I once diid a Russian bird. Well she said she was Russian, she was out of the door like a shot

DTS XXX XXX
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 17th-January-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Dance like you'r naked in your bathroom.
    I now have a mental image I really don't want, Dave!

Thread Information