Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: The Seedy Side

  1. #1
    Registered User Whitebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cheltenham, Glouce
    Posts
    2,307
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    The Seedy Side

    Strange, mysterious, and disturbing Faceybook goings-on downalong Southern parts :-(((

    Kevin Bennet gang-banned (apparently).
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 12th-July-2011 at 02:11 AM.

  2. #2
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sussex by the Sea
    Posts
    9,276
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 376 Times in 284 Posts

    Rep Power
    13

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Strange, mysterious, and disturbing Faceybook goings-on downalong Southern parts :-(((

    Kevin Bennet gang-banned (apparently).
    I'm still betting this is some knd of mischief making. From a simple logistical viewpoint I can't see how this group of people got together to sign this letter.

  3. #3
    Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    9,918
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 653 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: The Seedy Side

    I don't understand why he hasn't contacted any of the people who've 'supposedly' signed? It only needs one of them to confirm or deny whether they signed it, to prove if the whole letter is true?

    The FB page has 193 replies now

    Personally, I can't see it being true.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Rep Power
    5

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I'm still betting this is some knd of mischief making. From a simple logistical viewpoint I can't see how this group of people got together to sign this letter.
    Points about whether it's fake or not notwithstanding, they don't need to have gotten together - they only need to have mailed it to each other.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Minnie M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hove Actually
    Posts
    7,924
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 273 Times in 216 Posts

    Rep Power
    12

    Re: The Seedy Side

    I'm not his FB friend so I can't view the comments. However, I did get the 'letter' emailed to me.

    What kind of comments were they, for or against him ???


    --ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

    Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    3,166
    Thanks
    548
    Thanked 430 Times in 274 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    .....What kind of comments were they, for or against him ???
    I think this sums it all up

    Gordon Bennett I suppose what I'm saying is that it's difficult to have valid opinions about this until you have considered both sides of the issue. The fact that most people only have one side makes it difficult
    .

  7. #7
    Registered User NickC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Love to know what he's done, sure I'll find out sooner or later, then I'll probably wish I hadn't found out.

  8. #8
    Commercial Operator Gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    York
    Posts
    5,203
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Seedy Side

    I've got to say I'm massively impressed. To get all those 'differing' organisations to agree to something is unheard of. Its biblical ... reminds me of the passage of .."and the Lion shall lie down with the Lamb" etc. What WAS the crime? Did he assert that WCS is better than MJive?

  9. Thanks:

    zimbabwean (13th-July-2011)

  10. #9
    Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    9,918
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 653 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: The Seedy Side

    The only thing I can see people saying, is that he's been 'poaching' customers from other organisations, by going down all their 'friends lists'

    But I know of lots of people who do that.. as I'm regularly asked to be friends with people with names like "jive mad', who I've never met in my life before.

    Maybe this is just the first of many? Or maybe its got nothing to do with the above?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

  11. #10
    Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norf Lundin
    Posts
    17,001
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 600 Times in 396 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    The only thing I can see people saying, is that he's been 'poaching' customers from other organisations, by going down all their 'friends lists'
    Hardly the crime of the century then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    But I know of lots of people who do that.. as I'm regularly asked to be friends with people with names like "jive mad', who I've never met in my life before.
    That's nothing, there's a weird woman called "Lorraine" on Facebook as well, I'd steer well clear of her, I would.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Maybe this is just the first of many? Or maybe its got nothing to do with the above?
    Maybe they've seen the colour scheme on his website? I mean, I now have eye ache.

  12. #11
    Registered User fandangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Winchester, Hants
    Posts
    201
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 64 Times in 39 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Shame that this has become such a big issue. The long and the short of it is that this person has apparently notched up a catalog of crimes which no ethical, courteous, reasonable dance organiser would be proud of. He's managed to upset just about all of the organisers in his area over a short period of time. The "letter" was supposed to be a private communication but he saw fit to publish it on Facebook and then blatantly sought support and sympathy as though he was a wronged person being bullied by the big guys. The real story, although it hasn't all been revealed, would expose his unethical practices and he hasn't seen fit to publish it. Neither have the people who have banned him from their venues. This includes Mike Ellard who has banned him from all Ceroc venues nationally including weekenders. This must be unprecedented and infers that whatever he has done must be pretty significant to warrant such a response. It should have all been kept private but this person is very adept at manipulating public opinion. Currently, it seems, he is engaged on a campaign to try and get as many "friends" as he can on Facebook to attempt to get them to attend his events as a protest. The "friends" are as many other people's friends and family on Facebook as he can find, whether they dance or not. I think it's called friend farming. This is just plain, cynical marketing and he doesn't deserve to succeed.
    Last edited by fandangle; 14th-July-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: grammar

  13. 3 'Thanks':

    Minnie M (14th-July-2011), philsmove (14th-July-2011), zimbabwean (14th-July-2011)

  14. #12
    Commercial Operator Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,895
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 397 Times in 197 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: The Seedy Side

    I have to say that there are some great posts on this HERE. It's made a cracking good read over a cup of earl grey and a finger of fudge this afternoon..

  15. 5 'Thanks':

    David Bailey (15th-July-2011), djtrev (15th-July-2011), Lory (15th-July-2011), Whitebeard (14th-July-2011), zimbabwean (16th-July-2011)

  16. #13
    Registered User frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 75 Times in 58 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by fandangle View Post
    ... This includes Mike Ellard who has banned him from all Ceroc venues nationally including weekenders. This must be unprecedented and infers that whatever he has done must be pretty significant to warrant such a response.
    Why would that be significant. Mike Ellard has a lot of market power to use ethically or not. Is it ethically worse to be banned by someone with a lot of power ?

    From where I'm looking Mirrorball moves tried interesting things. It would be sad, and there would be less variety around, if a group of competitors managed to squash it.

    Plenty of organisers aren't entirely ethical in their approach. They still get custom, even where their customers know this.

  17. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    3,166
    Thanks
    548
    Thanked 430 Times in 274 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Can someone tell me what all the fuss is about?
    Let’s look at the title of thread. Banning someone, you do not want in your venue, is hardly seedy, nor is it likely to put them out of business
    I would not really describe this issue as a “hornets’ nest”
    There are industries, when, if you upset the opposition; they have a habit of “sending the boy round to sort you out” again nothing like that is even being hinted at
    “The seedy side”?? “A hornets’ nest”?? May be modes could change this thread to “a storm in a tea cup “

  18. Thanks:

    robd (18th-July-2011)

  19. #15
    Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norf Lundin
    Posts
    17,001
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 600 Times in 396 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I have to say that there are some great posts on this HERE. It's made a cracking good read over a cup of earl grey and a finger of fudge this afternoon..
    "Bennettgate" - fantastic

    I eagerly await the summonsing of Mike Ellard before the Commons Culture committee to explain his Evil Overlord strategy.

    Seriously, "Mirrorball Moves"? Is that a real name? Really? People actually say "I'm going to Mirrorball Moves tonight"?

  20. #16
    Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norf Lundin
    Posts
    17,001
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 600 Times in 396 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: The Seedy Side

    P.S. I love the posts that start "I don't want to know all this stuff, I just want to DANCE" and finish "But please tell me what it was all about - all the details please".

  21. Thanks:

    philsmove (15th-July-2011)

  22. #17
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sussex by the Sea
    Posts
    9,276
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 376 Times in 284 Posts

    Rep Power
    13

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    P.S. I love the posts that start "I don't want to know all this stuff, I just want to DANCE" and finish "But please tell me what it was all about - all the details please".
    The ones that get me are the ones that start off by saying we shouldn't be drawing attention to the situation by posting our opinion - and then post their opinion!

  23. #18
    Commercial Operator Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,895
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 397 Times in 197 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    From where I'm looking Mirrorball moves tried interesting things. It would be sad, and there would be less variety around, if a group of competitors managed to squash it..
    Really? Most of the events he runs are either normal freestyles, chill out events or multi room events which are hardly new or 'interesting'. Richard and Jo who run Ceroc Fever looked at running an event at The Spinnaker Tower months before it appeared on KB's radar, which I think is probably the event you're referring to, (they actually live opposite it!) and decided it wasn't a good enough venue: it costs a fortune to park, the main room floor is very poor and the two upstairs room are tiny and only accessible by a lift, so there is no natural flow to the rooms - none of this seemed to bother him!

    His event in Winchester which has since been cancelled (L'Attitude) had the blues room in the entrance foyer! Interesting maybe, but hardly conducive to creating an intimate environment...

  24. #19
    Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norf Lundin
    Posts
    17,001
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 600 Times in 396 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    The ones that get me are the ones that start off by saying we shouldn't be drawing attention to the situation by posting our opinion - and then post their opinion!
    They're good too.

    And there's the perennial "How dare you raise this topic in a public forum! Now, here's what I think...." ones.

  25. #20
    Registered User NickC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: The Seedy Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Richard and Jo who run Ceroc Fever looked at running an event at The Spinnaker Tower months before it appeared on KB's radar, which I think is probably the event you're referring to, (they actually live opposite it!) and decided it wasn't a good enough venue: it costs a fortune to park, the main room floor is very poor and the two upstairs room are tiny and only accessible by a lift, so there is no natural flow to the rooms - none of this seemed to bother him!
    Surely, Rockey, your not saying KB acts without thinking things through are you?
    The next thing you'll say is that he's made enemies out of the other operators.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. PC a little on the big side??
    By Beowulf in forum Geeks' Corner
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 16th-May-2007, 12:35 PM
  2. Your Best Side...
    By Purple Sparkler in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd-October-2005, 10:48 AM
  3. Side lunges
    By JoC in forum Intermediate Corner
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2nd-September-2005, 08:22 AM
  4. Would you want the Yanks on your side?
    By Gus in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 1st-October-2004, 01:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •