Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Leading really classified as Dancing

Re: Is Leading really classified as Dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    I hope this thread does lead to a good discussion.

Gerry, how do you feel when you are following? Do you feel that you 'dance' more as a follow or is it just the same.

For me, I feel that when I am thinking less about the music and in particular what is happening in the music, I can dance better. If it's a track that I don't know or am finding difficult to work out, then I revert to leading rather than dancing.
    As a follower I am a total beginner, I enjoy following but I am not at a level where I can really interpret the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    For me, I feel that when I am thinking less about the music and in particular what is happening in the music, I can dance better. If it's a track that I don't know or am finding difficult to work out, then I revert to leading rather than dancing.
    Charlie, you are one of the leaders I look at and I think to myself that you are actually dancing while leading, this is probably why you are so popular with the ladies

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    Thinking about the usual WCS suspects for instance you can safely say that both Jordan Frisbee and Kyle Redd have that wow factor that makes what they do look like "real dancing", but they're poles apart in the way they do it.
    It's interesting to see the following routine with a very early Kyle:

Yes, it won the US Open (slightly misleading as it was a year when they had the "Superstar" category - the real "big dogs" weren't doing showcase), but if you ask me, Kyle looks really uncomfortable when he's having to dance by himself.

For sure, that doesn't apply now, but I still don't get the impression he has anything like the confidence doing so that Jordan or Benji has. He can do it, but I don't think it's natural to him.

Getting slightly back on point: I think there's a fairly big crossover between people who "lead but don't dance", and people who are all at sea when they have to dance by themselves. At least one WCS name (pretty sure it was Robert Cordoba) has said the way round that is to practice dancing by yourself. The success of linedancers at partner dancing is also instructive.

Blog Entries

I started a thread here which was inspired by someone telling me 'If you can't dance on your own, you can't be a better partner dancer' which I think is getting to the nub of what you're asking/observing Gerry.
    I don't necessarily agree with it being 'fact', but IMHO, it does seem to be those people who are happy to get up and dance on their own (and do it well) that appear to be dancing with their partners, rather than just leading them.

Of course there are always the exceptions, that is the people who are happy to get up and dance on their own (and do it badly) that appear to be dancing badly with their partners.

Thread Information