Thread: Have we learned anything from this forum this year ?

Have we learned anything from this forum this year ?

As we approach year end have we the 706 members of this forum learned anything ?

Have we changed our view over dancing matters or any matter this year as a result of this forum ?

I realise that I often state things as 'fact' when there not fact and sometimes have been persuaded by counter argument (but only rarely).

It was great to learn I wasn't the only one to think there was a 'rejection row at Hammersmith'

Its been good to exchange views (Those who in favour of 5000 speed camera will come around )

I wonder how next year we could get more people to contribute to what is a lovely forum.

Re: Have we learned anything from this forum this year ?

Originally posted by stewart38
    As we approach year end have we the 706 members of this forum learned anything ?

I've learned a lot about music, playlists etc from the resident DJs.

And I have been led to think very carefully about the use of hand signals, and will be trying to phase them out of my dancing (just to see what happens)

Nick

I have learnt Mikey is scarier on the forum than he is in real life and Andy McGregor is visa versa

Definitely! As a new dancer (3 months) with a very limited number of experienced dancers around to discuss things with I have found the forum to be a helpful part of my learning process. Eg I have been changing how I think about dancing, now thinking about lead and follow rather than just learning moves, musical interpretation etc. Its also helped to 'look in' on the bigger scene, and now I know there are lots of lovely friendly dancers around I will be less shy about travelling to some larger events next year. The forum has expanded my knowledge about MJ, which has worked well alongside going to weekly classes and putting things I am learning into practice.

Thanks everyone!!

Lynn

Re: Re: Have we learned anything from this forum this year ?

Originally posted by Lynn
    Definitely! As a new dancer (3 months) with a very limited number of experienced dancers around to discuss things with I have found the forum to be a helpful part of my learning process. Eg I have been changing how I think about dancing, now thinking about lead and follow rather than just learning moves, musical interpretation etc. Its also helped to 'look in' on the bigger scene, and now I know there are lots of lovely friendly dancers around I will be less shy about travelling to some larger events next year. The forum has expanded my knowledge about MJ, which has worked well alongside going to weekly classes and putting things I am learning into practice.

Thanks everyone!!

Lynn
    Whats the dance scene like in Dublin I plan to pop over there in the new year

Re: Re: Re: Have we learned anything from this forum this year ?

Whats the dance scene like in Dublin I plan to pop over there in the new year
    forget it I just noted your from Belfast

For next year think before you post

Sadly not done that a number of times this year

Commercial Operator

Not sure it's learned but something I know now that I didn't last year, and it has had an enormous positive effect on me, is:

SO MANY NEW FRIENDS.

Admittedly, some are "no right in the heid", but that is to be celebrated!!

Learned things?!?

1) I can truly say I shall never see Christmas tree decorative balls in the same way ever again.

2) In such cynical times, the warmth and genorosity of spirit shared in certain places can be truly inspirational, and this is one such place.

3) Gordy is a big girl's blouse and this forum is less for him not being here.

4) Franck is a legend

5) Stewart38's PC has a weird anomoly that makes Belfast appear on his screen as Dublin. (weird.....)

ANyway, that's me but then I was always a slow learner.

Masses,
    Lots of help for me as I started to dance, lead and occasionaly follow.
    Some help for my spelling.
    A lot about forum etiquet, some I even honour.
    Just how great the bunch of souls that inhabit the Ceroc virtual world can be. Freindly and helpful and always ready for a leg pull.

Roll on next year, just like this one, but with luck a little bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Its also helped to 'look in' on the bigger scene, and now I know there are lots of lovely friendly dancers around I will be less shy about travelling to some larger events next year.
    OK - a year on and this has happened! I have been twice to Southport and even taken part in a comp at Britroc. And LL has been here and run a workshop. All because of my being on this forum.

And the forum has helped me to keep going with MJ, despite lack of classes or many people to dance with here (I think I have had 20 dances in total since Britroc, all with dancers less experienced than myself, probably the equivilent of going along a couple of evenings to the freestyle after a beginners class and then leaving). I'm not progressing much in my actual dancing, but still learning about dancing, through being on here. So a big thanks from me to all forumites who have been friendly and welcoming when I have travelled over there, who have sent encouraging PMs, who have danced with me and even those I have not met but have learned a lot from many helpful comments - thanks guys!

Lynn

Thread Information