Thread: Amir Is Back!

Commercial Operator
    PARTY:
    8pm Short dance class by Amir and Kate
    9pm Dance with a Stranger’ competition
    10.30pm Cabaret featuring Amir & Kate & The Blues Sisters

WORKSHOP:
    ::: MEN & COUPLES ONLY ::::
    You can book in advance to guarantee a place, or chance it on the day....

Commercial Operator

Workshop Details

Hello everyone and looking forward to seeing you this weekend!
    Just thought I'd post the blurby type stuff here incase anyone was still intersted in coming along but wanted more detail. The workshop on Saturday will cover musicality and tango style modern jive:

----

Musical Interpretation

This is probably the most challenging and exciting element of dancing modern jive! But it is also one area that is probably least taught and most misunderstood. When done well it makes each dance fresh, intimate and creative. When ignored your dancing may grow lifeless and stagnate.

This acclaimed workshop will take you from basic concepts such as hitting breaks and characterisation to advanced musicality such as multiple accents and phrasing. As a musical dancer you will experience the excitement and fulfilment of being a joy to dance with, a thrill to watch and the high of being at one with the music!

You will also learn musical footwork, body movements and moves!

Inserting Tango Steps and Style into Your Modern Jive!

Tango is the world recognized dance of romance, and in just one day you can start to insert its passion, sensuality and intimacy into your modern jive! In anticipation of Valentines Day, you will discover how you can transform your dancing for this day of love! With the unique moves that ooze Latin flair and finnesse, you will learn how to stylise your dancing to convey that sexy elegance that glides around the floor! And with the exciting slides and lunges you are sure to stand out on the dance floor with new found dramatic presence!

Amir and Kate are Jive Champions and are invitational performers and teachers of Tango-Jive and Musicality for most every major event in the UK. They are renowned for their relaxed and entertaining teaching style, and take pride in their emphasis on the details that make a difference. As teachers for Hipsters they make up a team of some of the top instructors in the country which include Viktor and Nigel. Constant innovators, this workshop promises to breath new life and romantic drive into your modern jive!

-----

See you there! Talk to Lindsay about coming because I think she has some spaces left...

Re: Workshop Details

Originally posted by amir_giles
    As teachers for Hipsters they make up a team of some of the top instructors in the country which include Viktor and Nigel.
    Hey Amir, you can't say this sort of thing here.. the Scots tend to go into orbit when we talk about how cool Hipsters is...

I mean, they even write limericks with dark hints that Londoners' fave H******* thread (and its spin-off, the 'Sters) isn't quite a source of peace and light in their lives...

Chris.

I hear you are going to Nottingham soon, what will you be teaching there?

Commercial Operator
    I think we're doing musicality in Nottingham as well, except we'll be focusing on it for the entire workshop as we covered a lot of tango stuff last time.

we'll do some tango moves in the evening party, I'm sure

Commercial Operator
    UPDATE...

PARTY - All welcome, pay at the door (short class @ 8pm, DWAS comp. @ 9pm)

WORKSHOP - MEN and COUPLES only can turn up on the day if not booked in advance.... 11am until 4pm

Looking forward to it, should be a great day

Originally posted by Lindsay
    UPDATE...
    WORKSHOP - MEN and COUPLES only can turn up on the day if not booked in advance....
    Found myself a big hunk, so put me down for Sunday workshop please ....... he's no bad at dancin either !

TT x
    Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 4th-February-2004 at 07:50 PM.

How did this go?? Any advice for anyone going to his workshop this weekend in London?

J

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Jayne
    How did this go?? Any advice for anyone going to his workshop this weekend in London?
    Only made it to Saturday afternoon and Sunday workshops. Excellent again though, just like last time .
    Would recommend Amirs workshops to anyone. Pity I missed the party at night...who won the competition anyway ?

Great insight into competition dancing on the Sunday workshop. Maybe ill get through the first round of the intermediate now im not nervous, not nervous, not ner...etc...focus the energy......buy Nina expensive chocolates, bring down my voluptuous sister for Nigel..great tips

Talking

I am reliably informed that Alex and Sheena won the 'dance with a stranger' comp!!

Hardly strangers though......having competed together numerous times. Honestly the luck of some peolpe

Cheers
    Steven

An Eclectic Toaster
    Originally posted by Steven
    I am reliably informed that Alex and Sheena won the 'dance with a stranger' comp!!

Hardly strangers though......having competed together numerous times. Honestly the luck of some peolpe
    Yeah - well fixed...

First time I ever made through a round in any dance comp. Thanks Ruth

PS Jayne, the workshop DS missed was about tango moves - should be right up your street. Brush up on your ochos...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Steven

ooh, too easy and yes you would be reliably informed by your Dad that he won .

... so who got 2nd, 3rd ? or was that not judged ?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

... so who got 2nd, 3rd ? or was that not judged ?
    Mr Hancock & partner were 2nd, and 3rd wasn't announced, though Amir did tell me later that the lovely Gill & I were 3rd. Ta Gill for two lovely dances

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dance Demon
    Mr Hancock & partner were 2nd, and 3rd wasn't announced, though Amir did tell me later that the lovely Gill & I were 3rd. Ta Gill for two lovely dances
    aye you pair weren't first because Amir couldn't see thru the STEAM coming off you!!!

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Chicklet
    aye you pair weren't first because Amir couldn't see thru the STEAM coming off you!!!
    was it that hot?......can't say I didn't enjoy it though

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jayne
    Any advice for anyone going to his workshop this weekend in London?
    Make sure you set your alarm clock if you're going out the night before?

Thoroughly enjoyed both workshops on the Saturday and the party at night was great. Amir and Kate's cabaret performances were amazing - and the Blues Sisters were in fine form too

If I bring chocolate to Stirling DS will you divulge the secrets from Sunday's workshop?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Just wanted to thank whoever it was who told Kate that I'd said she qualified for the Seniors at Blackpool on this forum (that she never reads!) during your workshop over the weekend. Despite strenuous denials, I now find myself firmly in the Dog House.

Commercial Operator
    Thanks again everyone for having us and for being a great crowd! We've put some notes from the Saturday workshops at www.boogienights.co.uk

theres a copyright on them but if you were at the workshop you hereby have permission to make a copy for yourself for personal use. [insert flashy legal jargon here if required.]

I hope they are useful. It was great to see so much of what we did last time starting to really emerge in your dancing!

Thanks Bill for your house, thanks Jules for the tour, thanks Dance Demon for your decks, and thank god for haggis.

www.fusiondance.co.uk to see what we're up to if you are ever down in London

x
    Amir

Originally posted by amir_giles
    We've put some notes from the Saturday workshops at www.boogienights.co.uk
    Something seems to have happened to that link . . .
    Try this one though.

Thread Information