Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The end of Facebook ?

Re: The end of Facebook ?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Can they though? I've added a few people, you included, and I don't think I can see you until you've also added me, as I get an email when you've done so. Am not 100% certain about this as I've not been on there enough to monitor it. It seems that adding someone to your circle is a bit like a friend's request on FB. For example, I've added you, you've added me and so I can see your profile/wall thing. I've added Lynn, but she's not replied yet, so I can't see anything on her G+ wall (but I can't be certain whether there is actually anything there or not - so not the best test!). I'm finding it slightly confusing at the moment.

At the moment, it's so quiet that I'm not checking it very much, but am still looking at FB each day as there's more to see going on. However I'm also not posting much on either as I'm too busy and don't have anything that I think will be of any interest to anyone else/amusing.
    Putting someone in a circle is simply registering an interest in them (and they'll get a notification). They will only see what you share to that circle, and you'll only see what they've shared to any circle(s) that they may have added you to, if at all. I quite like to add public figures who's posts I find interesting, but will only see what they have to say publicly and no more than that! I personally prefer this asymmetrical model to Facebook.

Blog Entries

According to this TIME article, Experian Hitwise says that Google+ traffic decreased last week. People spent less time there, and there were fewer visitors (dropping 3% to 1.79 million in the U.S. for the week ending July 23). They do admit, though, that 3% isn't much, and that they weren't measuring visitors from mobiles or apps. And it has also to be looked in context with the fast and huge initial take-up - after all, the BBC reported that Google+ took only 24 days to reach 20 million users.

It's also interesting to see the privacy issues in that BBC article. It seems that Google has been suspending accounts where the user isn't under their real identity. It's not entirely clear what their motivation is. Some bloggers & analysts sense a conspiracy, and believe it's down to Google's intent to accurately understand their market & demographics, and therefore market to their users more effectively. Other analysts have been more charitable and suggest that it's an oversight. Presumably, though, you can still create an account under a false name - so long as it looks like a real one - just as some people have done on Facebook.

For me, though, I was surprised to read that now all Google Profiles will need to be public, and all private profiles will be deleted after 31st July. You can't hide on Google....

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    According to this TIME article, Experian Hitwise says that Google+ traffic decreased last week.
    Yeah, I saw that, but it appears the stats might be flawed.
    From my experience of a week, I currently prefer Google+ to Facebook and Twitter, I have started transferring my Twitter follows to G+ and (more slowly) my Facebook friends are being circled as they join.
    I like that with circles, I can be more selective with what / when I read stuff, if I want tech news, I can click on my tech circle, if I want personal news, I can select my friends or dancers circle, etc...
    Overall, it hasn't yet replaced Facebook, as only a fraction of my Facebook friends have joined G+, but I wish they would as the more I use alternatives, the more I despise Facebook...
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    the one thing I DON'T like about Google+ is that people can add me to one of their groups with out my permission which to me seems kinda like someone adding you as a friend on facebook with out asking your permission.
    Google+ is (trying to be) a combination of twitter and facebook. If I add someone to a circle, it is analogous to following them on Twitter. If they also add me to a circle, it's closer to 'friending' in facebook. I can control what people see that I post - by publishing stuff to circles. If someone is following me then they can only see information that I make public or share with a circle I have put them in.

I quite like this asymmetrical model, but it is different from other social media and will take some getting used to.

Google+'s biggest weakness is that lack of a critical mass of users. Until it gets that and starts attracting people in, it will always be a bit of a social ghetto.

Re: The end of face book ?

Yes Today FB shot it self in the foot

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Yes Today FB shot it self in the foot
    How come?
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    How come?
    They seem to be hell bent on so many changes, people will eventually lose the plot

I was quite amused by how it sorted my 'Top Story of the Last Day' which turned out to be Double Trouble getting a tow bar for her caravan

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I was quite amused by how it sorted my 'Top Story of the Last Day' which turned out to be Double Trouble getting a tow bar for her caravan
    That is funny.

It was exciting news for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    That is funny.

It was exciting news for me!
    Well, I'm sure if FB had released this new facility a few days earlier, my 'Top News Story' would have been 'David Bailey has sorted out his sock drawer' (which seemed to result in a frisson rippling through the Tango community of North London) (and as for my 'Snow shovel'......well.........)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Well, I'm sure if FB had released this new facility a few days earlier, my 'Top News Story' would have been 'David Bailey has sorted out his sock drawer' (which seemed to result in a frisson rippling through the Tango community of North London)
    I know, it was big news.

I fully expect to announce that I'm getting my hair cut soon.

Yes, both of them.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

I fully expect to announce that I'm getting my hair cut soon.
    I'll only be excited when i'm informed you're getting a perm

Perhaps excited is the wrong word...nah, we'll stick with excited

Thread Information