Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Blues - A step too far

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Blues - A step to far

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    Do we agree that this is Blues Dancing.
    (I am passing no opinion on the quality of this it is just an example of what I recognise as blues)

Yep, thats Blues to my mind AND the kind of music I like, understand and feel comfortable with too. I could find all sorts of stuff to play with that!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    Don't lose hope -

Don't give up Lory you will get there one day..........and please ask me for a dance so we can see how you are getting on at ignoring the beat

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    It doesn't really get more Blues than Damon

Nobody said that you can't dance Blues to a beat did they? To me, it's the reliance on that beat that signals the difference between a beat style dance.

When you have a track that hasn't got a beat, what then? For example time is being marked in this track but there's no 'real' beat. I have had some lovely Blues dances to this. I don't think I could manage even my sloppy attempt at WCS to it though

And the point may be, why would I want to. If I have dance styles to call upon that better suit a track that being played, why try to force a dance into a shape that it really isn't designed for? *shrug*

For me, music plays and a dance pops out when I hear it
    The track has has a beat all it doesn't have a drum line
    I could dance to it but like Lory I would choose not to.
    I'm still onto convinced

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Different djs have a different set of people who follow them so to get back to the thread I happen to love the music of all the djs that were reported to have played at hemsby and dislike some who play at ceroc weekenders
    I take it then Martin you will be attending all the Hemsby weekenders and not the Ceroc weekenders from now on?

Cool Re: Blues - A step to far

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this, as its exactly this type of track that typifies what I feel uncomfortable with!

And IMHO, would be the kind of track that would alienate most people, who've come on a MJ based weekender, from dancing in the room, if that was the only choice on offer
    I am glad I was able to put this discussion into some sort of musical context

I agree with you entirely about the placement of this sort of track. There's a time and place for everything

i wanna dance to it and i wanna dance to it NOW

For me, music plays and a dance pops out when I hear it

Quote Originally Posted by zimbabwean View Post
    I take it then Martin you will be attending all the Hemsby weekenders and not the Ceroc weekenders from now on?
    i was waiting for someone to say that and my answer is simple

nope but for other reasons than the music as the djs they use are high on my list of the best djs in the business
    but i am loyal to my friends

but i am loyal to my friends
    Eh? Firstly, what friends? Secondly, what a load of b0llox!

You're a customer, Martin and you can go where you want, no one cares what weekender you go on, you're a 'nobody' like the rest of us and it's not like you can get sacked or anything as you're not employed by Ceroc....not that they would, even if you were.

Re: Blues - A step too far

Having said that when i was on the stairs checking wrist bands on sat night
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    it's not like you can get sacked or anything as you're not employed by Ceroc
    So Martin are you a paying customer or employee

Eh? Firstly, what friends? Secondly, what a load of b0llox!
    You're a customer, Martin and you can go where you want, no one cares what weekender you go on,
    i know so its purely my choice to be loyal to my FRIENDS and go where i want no one has ever told me or even asked me not to go to any venue or organisation and i wouldnt take any notice if they did even when i did work for a fanchisee. And my loyalty is why i have real friends and not people who want to just suck up to me
    you're a 'nobody' like the rest of us and it's not like you can get sacked or anything as you're not employed by Ceroc....not that they would, even if you were.
    I disagree with that i am not a nobody to the people that really matter to me

Im certainly not worried about being sacked as you know i am one of the few people who doesnt just moan about people and djs behind their backs or hide behind a computer screen i will actually tell them to their face what i think when i am unhappy with what i am getting or how i am being treated.
    I am one of the few people you know who will say what i think when i think it
    Funnily enough i know you do that as well which is why i happen to like you

funny how zimbabwean gets involved and this suddenly ceases to be an adult discussion about music and becomes and attack on me isnt it

i know so its purely my choice to be loyal to my FRIENDS and go where i want
    Good for you! Besides, I'm really not trying to persuade you to go to Hemsby, especially as Lory reckons it's awash with old farts already.

I disagree with that i am not a nobody to the people that really matter to me
    Of course you're not a nobody to the people that really matter to you, that's irrelevant. I meant you're a nobody to dance franchises, like the rest of us, so no one cares where you go. Fact!

I am one of the few people you know who will say what i think when i think it...Funnily enough i know you do that as well which is why i happen to like you
    I can feel the love Martin.

Of course you're not a nobody to the people that really matter to you, that's irrelevant. I meant you're a nobody to dance franchises, like the rest of us, so no one cares where you go. Fact!
    certain dance franchisees and Independents are real long time friends and i back them with my loyalty

oh and dt

funny how zimbabwean gets involved and this suddenly ceases to be an adult discussion about music and becomes and attack on me isnt it
    I am sorry you feel that way but I asked a salient a question, if you take it as a personal attack that says more about you than about me

I am sorry you feel that way but I asked a salient a question, if you take it as a personal attack that says more about you than about me
    so what has your question got to do with blues dancing then

I was enjoying this thread up to the last few posts

People go to dance weekenders for lots of reasons. DJs are obviously only one part of a whole package.

It would be interesting to hear from those who didnt like the hemsby music as to why they went in the first place as surely they know the music these djs will be playing
    Same point. But I think the JA DJs have less in common than the Ceroc DJs, hence you're less likely to know what is going to be played.
    Last edited by frodo; 16th-June-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Commercial Operator

I am glad I was able to put this discussion into some sort of musical context

I agree with you entirely about the placement of this sort of track. There's a time and place for everything
    Did anyone actually play that track at Hemsby?!?!!?

so what has your question got to do with blues dancing then
    Martin I wasn't intending to make it personal but when you criticise the Dj of the Weekender you choose to go to, and big up the weekender you are not attending, it doesn't exactly sound very loyal.. that's all

Give yourselves a break! In fairness Modern Jive and WCS are beat dances, whereas Blues and Tango really aren't. If you have spent time learning to dance Modern Jive and/or WCS you will have been taught how and where to find your musical cues in the music to suit your beat dancing.

If you want to dance non-beat dances, grab a couple of classes... just like you did when you wanted to do a beat dance. I would caution you to look long and hard at where you take those lessons though. To make things 'accessible' it is often the case that you will go to a Blues class only to find out that it's a slow Jive or a slow WCS class teaching a 32 beat pattern with bonus tips like "eye contact is over rated"

Not helpful, just confusing. If you are looking for a Blues class try to avoid ANYWHERE that teaches sequences of moves. That may work for MJ/WCS but prescribed patterns have nothing to do with Blues or Tango dancing.

Bottom line: if you want it, you need to make a little effort if you're not one of the lucky ones who can learn by osmosis
    To set the record straight and clear up any confusion, the blues class i taught at Hemsby on Friday night had the primary intention of trying to give people confidence about dancing in the blues room over the weekend as i know some people can find the room a little intimidating when you are new to it. With this intention and bearing in mind the amount of people who had never set foot in a blues room (which was about half the class) and based on the feedback we got from people the class certainly achieved that.

The fact that i gave the class structure was vital as it was a musicality class so it needed a basic understanding of musical phrasing and that the main accents were on the '1' in relation to the song that we played. Lastly as my passion lies with WCS it seems understandable that most of my teaching style is going to lend itself to that style of dance.

The issue about how bluesy it was is a subjective thing as it seems to me Blues dancing as MJ seems to be a dance without any real set rules, guidelines, distinction, set footwork patterns or structure. The pertinent thing to me seems to be that blues room dancing is not aligned to any particular genre of music which to my mind opens it up to all manner of interpretation, styling and teachings.

It was very interesting that Myles Munroe (who taught the WCS classes with Tessa) who has with 22 years of trained dancing background said to me when we were watching the social dancing in the blues room that he couldn't see anything distinctive or anything that characterised blues social dancing at all, his last comment was 'it seemed that every couple seemed to be doing something totally unique and different from the next couple' which to me is spot on and is what makes blues room dancing amazing. So for anyone to say what is or what isn't blues dancing is in my mind going away from the very thing that makes Social Blues dancing at a MJ weekend what it is.

Lastly your frankly stupid reference about my explaining of eye contact and how it is overrated shows a complete lack of understanding of the principal of visual lead and follow along side the physical aspect of lead and follow, I'll clarify it again as it seems you didn't hear the the full explanation during the class.

The issue came about when i noticed how many people look at the floor when they dance socially which is primarily due to a lack confidence i would suggest. So firstly i simply showed how it could affect my posture when i looked to the ground against how my posture was improved when i looked up. I then said to the class to look at your partner directly in the eyes......and i noticed that after about 5/6 seconds some people started to get a bit uncomfortably with it to which i explained that constant eye contact is wayyyy over rated and that ladies would be served far better by looking at the man`s sternum rather than the floor after they have 'checked in with their partner' (look at each other occasionally) every now and then. Same thing for the men to whom i suggested to look past your partner rather than looking at the floor if again after making sure you have 'checked in with your partner'

The last point on this is if i am using CBM at any point during my dance and her eyes are locked on my eyes then she has less of a chance of knowing what i am trying to communicate to her with my body, so again she would be far better served watching my body alignment then staring into my eyes!

Thread Information