Thread: Taxis

Taxis

Following on from the last couple of posts between myself and Vidar regarding taxis. I was wondering......

How are they chosen today?

What their official role is?

Could they do more to make sure beginners progress when ready?

Are they still paid by means of a "Crew Pass?"

Re: Taxis

I can only answer this in the context of a non-Ceroc MJ class, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    I heard on the grapevine that the most recent taxi dancers were chosen by virtue of being friends with the organisers (level of skill clearly had something to do with it as well, but given that the most recent female taxis don't like being the active teacher in the taxi classes I think the criteria could be improved). Longer ago, my ex-boyfriend was asked because he still did the beginners' class despite long since becoming an intermediate.

To teach the taxi class and dance with beginners until 10pm.

I think it's a more fundamental issue - this doesn't appear to be part of their role currently; it's up to the customers to decide whether they want to make use of the taxis and how long for (although if I asked a taxi dancer for a dance they'd tell me to go away). Should it be part of their role? I'm not sure, but I don't think they should tell dancers when they're ready to progress as this would be asking them to be a dance judge.

At this franchise, as long as you're on the taxiing rota then you get free entry to all the franchise's venues, including freestyles.

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    I heard on the grapevine that the most recent taxi dancers were chosen by virtue of being friends with the organisers (level of skill clearly had something to do with it as well, but given that the most recent female taxis don't like being the active teacher in the taxi classes I think the criteria could be improved)
    In 1994 Ceroc auditioned for the first batch of Taxis. There were about 100 of us hopefuls. But those chosen were already demos and or "friends of the management." But that must just be a coincidence.

To teach the taxi class and dance with beginners until 10pm.
    And do they?

I think it's a more fundamental issue - this doesn't appear to be part of their role currently; it's up to the customers to decide whether they want to make use of the taxis and how long for (although if I asked a taxi dancer for a dance they'd tell me to go away). Should it be part of their role? I'm not sure, but I don't think they should tell dancers when they're ready to progress as this would be asking them to be a dance judge.
    What you say is right, but I am still torn. I'm still trying to get how to improve intermediates (as discussed in recent threads). And the only way really is to improve them as beginners. I think Taxis can and or should be more involved, but not sure how.

At this franchise, as long as you're on the taxiing rota then you get free entry to all the franchise's venues, including freestyles.
    Same as Ceroc. Except for me. I wanted to be a Taxi so badly I agreed to do it and still pay for my entry even at the venue where I Taxied (though I was allowed to teach in my own way and I didn't necessarily have to follow the Ceroc way). I just wanted to be able to teach without having to become a teacher. But I wonder how many do it for the right reasons and not just so they get in free.

Disclaimer: All answers based on what I've seen/heard - I don't know if it's actually correct.

Following on from the last couple of posts between myself and Vidar regarding taxis. I was wondering......

In rough order of priority:

• Get on well with the teacher/venue manager.
    • Friendly personality.
    • Reliability. (i.e. will they turn up every time).
    • Dance ability (although you don't need to be a great dancer).

Do the review class and dance with beginners / as requested until 10pm (timing may vary).

My understanding is that Ceroc is quite specific that Taxi dancers can not teach. Even when they do the review class, they are only supposed to "demonstrate" the moves and observe people practicing. I believe this is partly to do with insurance - Ceroc can't have largely "untrained" teachers without invalidating the insurance.

Of course, the "no teaching" rule is more honoured in the breach than in the observance.

For Ceroc, it's difficult given the no teaching restriction. To my mind, the biggest thing the Taxis could do is to spend a few minutes with each beginner helping them with frame and connection (possibly also slotting and turning).

For Ceroc no (not in London anyhow). They usually get something like one "free entry" ticket per evening taxied.

Again, this is due to "rules and regulations". You can't pay Taxi dancers without making them employees and raising a whole set of extra problems (tax, health/safety, harassment etc). And apparently it was felt that a Crew Pass was significant enough to count as "payment in kind" and cause the same issues.

And do they?
    Yes, with the exception of when there's only one or two beginners there.

What you say is right, but I am still torn. I'm still trying to get how to improve intermediates (as discussed in recent threads). And the only way really is to improve them as beginners. I think Taxis can and or should be more involved, but not sure how.
    Something that occurs to me is that perhaps it should be part of the teacher's role to make it clear that there is more to dancing than the moves they are teaching. Then it would be up to the dancer to pursue those others things with, for example, taxi dancers or other more experienced dancers.

(Of course, it would be great if they could actually be taught in the classes themselves, but giving how much groaning there is when teachers attempt to teach even the smallest points of style I don't think there's much hope of it happening there.)

But I wonder how many do it for the right reasons and not just so they get in free.
    I must admit that this is a big part of why I want to be a taxi dancer (I have no income and am not anticipating ever having a well-paid job). However I would also like to get into teaching it eventually...

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    For Ceroc no (not in London anyhow). They usually get something like one "free entry" ticket per evening taxied.
    I have heard that this is also how it is with Ceroc in Sheffield.

For Ceroc, it's difficult given the no teaching restriction. To my mind, the biggest thing the Taxis could do is to spend a few minutes with each beginner helping them with frame and connection (possibly also slotting and turning).
    :yeah

That's changed a bit then. It used to be a Taxi got in free to all other Ceroc classes except Hammersmith and possibly the Casbah and Tea Dances.

Dave, you Taxied didn't you? What was your experience?

Something that occurs to me is that perhaps it should be part of the teacher's role to make it clear that there is more to dancing than the moves they are teaching. Then it would be up to the dancer to pursue those others things with, for example, taxi dancers or other more experienced dancers.

(Of course, it would be great if they could actually be taught in the classes themselves, but giving how much groaning there is when teachers attempt to teach even the smallest points of style I don't think there's much hope of it happening there.)
    In that respect I was lucky. I was allowed to teach (I only got told off because my review classes went on too long, sometimes an hour). At the risk of blowing my own trumpet I like to think my reviewees got a more in depth lesson. Several people told me that it was my class that kept them coming back to Ceroc. Two of my pupils are Ceroc teachers and at least 6 are taxis. Ok I am blowing my own trumpet.

....That's changed a bit then. It used to be a Taxi got in free to all other Ceroc classes except Hammersmith and possibly the Casbah and Tea Dances.....
    Hmmm....... I think there are a 'couple' more Ceroc venues/classes since you last danced in the UK

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Hmmm....... I think there are a 'couple' more Ceroc venues/classes since you last danced in the UK
    It's only been 3 years, can't have changed that much can it?

But I suppose I should have said that a Taxi got free entry to all the classes run by that franchise.

In London all classes were run by Ceroc themselves or has that now changed?

My understanding is that Ceroc is quite specific that Taxi dancers can not teach. Even when they do the review class, they are only supposed to "demonstrate" the moves and observe people practicing. I believe this is partly to do with insurance - Ceroc can't have largely "untrained" teachers without invalidating the insurance.
    Now that's a new one to me, and I understand the reasoning behind it. Its a pity that this particular issue was not explained to the taxis in Scotland earlier in the year, it may have prevented the mass retiral of taxis that took place at that time.

I have always thought that the taxis role was to encourage and dance with beginners and of course the other role was to promot Ceroc and encourage beginners to sign up to workshops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    I have always thought that the taxis role was to encourage and dance with beginners
    I agree. Can I also add that targeting the beginners the taxis had in their review class for a dance would obviously benefit their confidence and their ability as dancers and their confidence in asking for dances themselves.

It's only been 3 years, can't have changed that much can it?

I thought you said you left the UK a lot longer than that

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Longer ago, my ex-boyfriend was asked because he still did the beginners' class despite long since becoming an intermediate.
    Personally I prefer to do the beginners class over the intermediate class simply because I learn more. I'm never convinced that anyone learns anything in an intermediate class bar possible variations that are soon forgotten. Whereas people (if they bother to put effort in and listen to the correct bits of the beginners lessons) stand to learn a lot more about leading and following in a beginners class.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

I thought you said you left the UK a lot longer than that
    I left in 2005 but pop back every couple of years. December I hope again. Sorry for the confusion.

Blog Entries

I hear that mentioned quite a lot now. Is 'slotting' now a requirement rather than an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

I think this explained on the Ceroc web site

TAXI DANCERS

Most CEROC venues have experienced dancers on hand called 'Taxi Dancers' that are part of the crew and are specifically there to dance with beginners.

Taxi dancers should be easy to spot as they wear distinctive T-shirts, and are on duty until they remove their T-shirt. Please feel free to ask a taxi dancer for a dance if they don't get to you first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEGINNER'S PRACTISE SESSION

Some venues, depending on the layout of the venue, offer a beginner's practice session during the Intermediate class. The taxi dancers host these sessions and are on hand to help which makes this an ideal opportunity to recap the moves you have just learnt

When I stared MJ ( not with Ceroc) there were no taxi dancers, so beginners tended to dance with beginners, in other words, the blind leading the blind.

Taxis seem to be somthing some non Ceroc classes, have not copied

How are they chosen ?
    For time to time, I have received e mails, from local franchises, asking for volunteers

We are LOOKING for 2 MALE DEMONSTRATORS 1 who can help regular and 1 who can fill the role of Taxi dancer/demonstrator roll as cover for holidays/illness etc. You dont have to use the mike :-] but you need to know all your beginner moves and have a good knowledge of intermediate moves [training will be given] but you do need to be reliable please ask about details if your interested.
    Any female dancers interested in the above or as Taxi dancers please let me know
    Last edited by philsmove; 13th-June-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I think this explained on the Ceroc web site

When I stared MJ ( not with Ceroc) there were no taxi dancers, so beginners tended to dance with beginners, in other words, the blind leading the blind.
    That is certainly a help but to what extent do individual taxis follow the rules? And what if anything can make for a better taxi

For time to time, I have received e mails, from local franchises, asking for volunteers
    Is that from Ceroc? I think one or two of us might be wondering to what extent there is training given.

P.s For some reason Phil your quotes keep referring to me as Brian. It starts with a P not a B.

Phil your quotes keep referring to me as Brian. It starts with a P not a B.
    Sorry

I have a spelling checker
    I disk covered four my PC.
    It plane lee marks four my revue
    Miss steaks aye can knot see.
    Eye ran this post threw it.
    Your sure real glad two no.
    Its very polished in its weigh,
    My checker tolled me sew.

Sorry