Thread: Putting your venue on Google Maps?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Commercial Operator

Putting your venue on Google Maps?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Ceroc HQ were informed of the importance of having venues on the Google map years ago, along with many other search optimisation issues.
    The problem with Google maps is that it will not allow you to enter multiple venues for your single account. You end up with your home address or head office being the only venue. This is worse than useless. Does anybody know of a way around this?

I'm thinking of solving this by setting up a Google account for each venue - but I then need the venue to receive a post card and pass it on to me. That isn't always as easy as it sounds - most village halls don't have a letterbox! And I'd probably need to give each account the same name and Google probably have a way of stopping this.

Does anyone know of a more elegant solution?

Blog Entries

Re: Putting your venue on Google Maps?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can create a map on Google, drop markers in as many places as I like and save it as private or public.

Is that not what you're trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I can create a map on Google, drop markers in as many places as I like and save it as private or public.

Is that not what you're trying to do?
    No, its not.

A business can register an address with Google and when someone does a search in a suitably sparse area a map will appear with little alphabetic pointers.

Try http://bit.ly/k3j2Bt which is a search for dance class Perth Scotland. As usual Franck is a heroic leader on my PC, hitting page one of the results.

On my PC Zumba makes page 1 as well, and that is another global brand, so the "only one venue" theory that worried Andy is wrong.

Google is ramping up its local marketing so it gives ranking preference to companies that are on its map.

It also owns Youtube and gives higher rankings to sites with relevant video content so another way to head for the coveted page one of the search results is to have video content that is recognisably relevant eg dance_class.wmv and use relevant tags.

The problem with Ceroc's coveted Flash graphics is that search engines are still very poor at best, and usually blind, at reading graphics.

I say "on my PC" because Google tailors its search results to what it perceives as your interests. The fact that you often do a search on Ceroc related items means that you will preferentially see Ceroc in your results. This may be very different to what someone with no previous interest in dance will see. That is why I advocated the use of a proxy like www.proxify.com, that hides "you", to do the tests.

HTH

The Dashing Moderator

Is that the same as Google Places?

This page suggests you can load multiple markers and it seems to be free. I've not tried it though.

Edit: Or is this the problem? From here
    You cannot create Places listings for stores [venues/ village halls?] which you do not own, but which stock your products. Instead, consider asking the store owner to update their own Places listing with a custom attribute specifying brands or products they stock, including yours.
    Last edited by DavidY; 8th-June-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

On my PC Zumba makes page 1 as well, and that is another global brand, so the "only one venue" theory that worried Andy is wrong.
    That Zumba venue is not Franck's.

My problem is that I couldn't enter my venues on Google maps. Google want to send a postcard to the venue address and I'm not at that venue. I just rent the venues once or twice a week.

How do I put those venues on Google maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    That Zumba venue is not Franck's.

My problem is that I couldn't enter my venues on Google maps. Google want to send a postcard to the venue address and I'm not at that venue. I just rent the venues once or twice a week.

How do I put those venues on Google maps?
    I know the Zumba venue is not Franck's it is a Zumba venue. Like Ceroc that is a franchise operation with each franchisee running one or more venues, just as Ceroc does. Zumba manages to get multiple venues on the map, Franck does too, so it is possible. Perhaps an email to Google, or a phone call, will discover how they do it.

What ratio of Ceroc venues are franchised? I mean it was the case that all the venues outside London were franchised but those in London were owned by Ceroc themselves with the exception of the Casbah.

Commercial Operator

Thank you. It's very similar to the situation for dance teachers. We are like the brewery. It looks like I'd have to get my venue to get their own entry on google places.

I actually did a search on goole to see if there was anything useful. What I found was my original enquiry to google support! Here is the link.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...f87cce25&hl=en

I'm starting to wonder if the only way to get a proper google places entry for each venue is to set up separate google accounts for each venue as if each venue was a separate company. I'd be like a mini Ceroc, I'd have 'Rocsters - Worthing', 'Rocsters - Horsham', etc. Does that seem like a reasonable and workable solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if the only way to get a proper google places entry for each venue is to set up separate google accounts for each venue as if each venue was a separate company. I'd be like a mini Ceroc, I'd have 'Rocsters - Worthing', 'Rocsters - Horsham', etc. Does that seem like a reasonable and workable solution?
    It should not be necessary, Zumba knows how to do it. I will ask one of the Google guys on Twitter.

Having a separate website or blog entry for each venue is one way to get better ratings from search engines, but using tailored relevant content. Google does not like duplicated pages/content. The sites/blogs linking to each other helps too. Keeping the sites active also helps.One way to do that is a Twitter or Facebook feed.

Commercial Operator

It should not be necessary, Zumba knows how to do it. I will ask one of the Google guys on Twitter.
    Thank you

Having a separate website or blog entry for each venue is one way to get better ratings from search engines, but using tailored relevant content.
    This is a great idea

Thread Information