Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VLV Camber Aftermath

VLV Camber Aftermath

Right you have all had time to rest.I shall be ready first thing this morning for our usual aftermath fest.

Re: VLV Camber Aftermath

OK DJ Trev I’ll Kick Off

I give this weekend an overall rating of 7/10. I nearly did not go as I am off to Spain in a couple of days for my nieces wedding and then I should be moving house the following week.

Good

• Arriving in the sunshine, chalets being hot so we could open the windows and let some air in.
    • Saturday night, first of all the tango milonga. I actually stuck it out for about an hour which is good for me and then the music got a bit like strangling a cat. Thanks to Andy Razzle, for some impromptu teaching. Then downstairs in the blues room from 3am to 7am was just brilliant.
    • Sunday after was quite good mixture of freestyle and I did a workshop!!! First one in ages. The bachata, taught by Phil Webb, good fun class and a fun dance, like salsa but more grindy. The only problem is this class and my blues room antics have left me with a severe case of grinders hip.
    • My favourite set – yet again Locoman, his closing set on Saturday night was pure magic.
    • The return of the weekender mug!!! Yes

Bad
    • Not being able to get into our chalet until 5 and then having to queue for 20 minutes to get the keys.
    • Chalet not the cleanest I’ve ever been in but at least we could have the windows open for the first 2 nights.
    • Missing out on going on the beach because I had to go home and meet my daughter for lunch as it was her birthday on the Saturday, so was really looking forward to going on the beach on the Sunday and it poured with rain all day (I know it’s not ceroc’s fault). Also when I got back to Camber on the Saturday fancied a dance but there was no freestyle to be found.
    • The normal Camber complaint, loving the freestyle on the Sunday and then it stopping for the class, such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    • The normal Camber complaint, loving the freestyle on the Sunday and then it stopping for the class, such a shame.
    Didn't they put the igloo up? I thought that was exactly what it was for - somewhere to freestyle while workshops were on in the main rooms..

I suspect the mass exodus to the beach on the Saturday probably didn't help the case of those lobbying for an increase in the amount of daytime dancing available at Camber.

A return to Camber for me after several years not attending. I hadn't danced since February (and before that October!) and as such didn't feel as confident going into the weekend.

Good:
    Catching up with friends
    Quickest, easiest check in ever (though I missed out on the mug)
    The main room sets especially Friday night then going downstairs to find it nice and chilled (musically)
    A shower that ran hot and you didn't have to keep pressing a button for
    It was sweltering but there were plenty of fans and water available
    Some great dances - well, it was a dance weekender...

Bad:
    The lack of afternoon dancing. Sunday's session started at 1pm - I was still in bed
    Missing out on dances with some people because I chose to "main room it"
    Too uptempo for me in the blues room when I finally made it there on Monday morning

Funny:
    Hearing about Noel's top of wardrobe find...

Overall I had a decent time but felt it was quite disjointed. Obviously in part this was because so many people headed off to the beach because of the great weather on Saturday. If it had been Southport it would have been an amazing afternoon of outside dancing and relaxing in the sun. I felt that maybe they could put flooring up opposite the pub by the children's area?? (maybe the neighbours would complain). I stayed in the main room all three nights until kick out and then headed downstairs - a rarity for me but did give me the chance to dance with some new people.

Overall, it wasn't my favourite weekender but will I go back? Probably...
    Last edited by HelenB; 7th-June-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Are people getting a bit fed up with writing aftermath reports.Time was reports were coming in thick and fast on the Monday morning,now its Tuesday if your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Are people getting a bit fed up with writing aftermath reports.
    Don't know about fed up but I decided not to do one for Camber since I couldn't really think of much to say that hasn't been said previously. You know Camber's gonna be hot, you know the opportunity for daytime dancing will be more limited than Southport, you know the music will be occasionally duff, mostly decent and rarely outstanding and so on.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On a personal note, I had one of my best weekenders ever, so none of the things that could be considered bad had any real affect on me but to be fair and consistant, I'll give my usual balanced review

The Good!
    The weather on the Friday and Saturday.
    Arriving in the Sunshine makes everything seem better and the journey down with Zimbabwean really started the weekend off with a bang. We 'nearly' got there an hour before the official opening time but decided that the pub down the road seemed like a better option than queuing and we couldn't have timed it better. As we got to the gate the end of the queue was just going in!

All the music was great. Not once, did I think

Locoman, you really are a star hun!

The floors were great!

IMO there was the perfect number of people, more than enough to make a great atmosphere but more than enough room to dance BIG and keep cool.
    I did hear this wasn't the case upstairs but I didn't spend much time up there, so it was all good AFAIC

My chalet mate Sandy (non forumite) is a hardcore party girl (very different to me ) and I blame her for the fact I only got 4 hours sleep all weekend!

I loved the impromptu beach party on Saturday afternoon, there must've been about 100 dancers over there and the fun and games were in full swing.

My 'budget' chalet, turned out to be 'better' than my 'club chalet' at Southport. The only downside was, it had a 'bath, with 2 taps' and no shower attachement With my hair, it meant finding a friend with a shower after the beach!

Being cooked for and having Tiggerbabe and other guests around on Saturday night was so much fun! (didn't like the washing up the next day though)

Funnily enough, I was quite glad when it rained on Sunday, as we'd done the beach thing and I fancied some daytime dancing and it meant most people were there for the S'funk set which was great as usual.

The Bad.. It wasn't the usual slick check-in we've become used to. We couldn't check-in until 5pm, which meant that loads more people wanted to check-in at the same time and it all ended up a bit chaotic.

The Bath (and the fact that it was blue)

The Ugly - 'Me' on Monday morning! And now!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I think you are probably right Rob.
    They do seem to be a repetition of the previous year.In the case of Southport an update on the accomodation or lack of was appreciated as is any changes that are made to the usual programme ie the inflatable pod.
    Mind you aftermath reports of new weekender venues such as JA Hemsby will be welcome.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

P.s. I never did find out why they called it Viva Las Vegas.. apart from the fact Rocky played the song once to end his set and I only really noticed that because it stood out as a particularly naff song
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by carollloyd View Post
    Didn't they put the igloo up? I thought that was exactly what it was for - somewhere to freestyle while workshops were on in the main rooms..
    NO

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I suspect the mass exodus to the beach on the Saturday probably didn't help the case of those lobbying for an increase in the amount of daytime dancing available at Camber.
    yes every one went down the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

Funnily enough, I was quite glad when it rained on Sunday, as we'd done the beach thing and I fancied some daytime dancing and it meant most people were there for the S'funk set which was great as usual.
    !
    I was glad it rained S'Funk was just the 'bizzzzo' as per

The aftermath reviews have really dropped in numbers! Perhaps it’s because there are so many of them now.
    Just wanted to say my bit........I haven’t been dancing much of late but really enjoyed the weekend. It was a chance to dance and see faces I haven’t seen for ages and it was SO lovely to do so, bit of a reunion for me
    What I loved in particular was the ability to dance Blues, WCS, Ceroc and Tango (Jack of all trades and master of none!).
    Like Maxine said there didn’t seem enough daytime freestyle downstairs which was a shame, by the time you get up and get yourself together the dancing had finished! Although wonderful atmosphere in the pub on Sunday afternoon it was buzzing.
    Would be nice if the quiz started slightly later it would of been fun to have joined in but missed most of it .......... or is that me just being lazy!
    As ever Marc and Rachel hosted a lovely Milonga, was extremely hot in there though.
    As others have said it finished in real style the sets to end the weekend were amazing.
    Chalet was the dirtiest I have ever stayed in with lots of things wrong with it...........like a hob that you couldn’t turn off and a carpet that should of been condemned, thought I had forgotten to take my black socks off! But it didn’t mar the weekend, I suppose it is part and parcel of it!
    Goes without saying Chalet companion was amazing

Don't know about fed up but I decided not to do one for Camber since I couldn't really think of much to say that hasn't been said previously. You know Camber's gonna be hot, you know the opportunity for daytime dancing will be more limited than Southport, you know the music will be occasionally duff, mostly decent and rarely outstanding and so on.
    300 people were dancing on sunday (SF set) they stop it for a class of 20 think that speaks for itself

For me fairly standard

Great early set on friday night upstairs but guy was on too early rest of weekend for me to comment, perhaps he can replace the drunk DJ on Saturday upstairs that tended to play drivel .

Thought teachers dancing in Cabert was nice , pity a blues class where 300 turned up was just another leans and impracticle drops class , i walked off like many.

Didn't like the mixed music in chill out room but thats standard now

I would have on sunday, free style in the chill out room from 2pm and put the swingers hour (another great set) in their.

ps can I mention the M25 on a friday, half term summer weather rush hour , 40 miles of slow moving traffice ? Thought not.
    Last edited by stewart38; 7th-June-2011 at 09:09 PM.

P.s. I never did find out why they called it Viva Las Vegas.. apart from the fact Rocky played the song once to end his set and I only really noticed that because it stood out as a particularly naff song
    There is a much better version from a guy called Elvis Presely which doesn't run at 200bmp

At least he apologised before he ruin a good set at the end

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    I think you are probably right Rob.
    They do seem to be a repetition of the previous year.In the case of Southport an update on the accomodation or lack of was appreciated as is any changes that are made to the usual programme ie the inflatable pod.
    Mind you aftermath reports of new weekender venues such as JA Hemsby will be welcome.
    Don't read them then ? rather then moan about reading them after setting up a thread asking people to post ?

Anyone thankfully everyone got out following the fire.
    Last edited by stewart38; 7th-June-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    300 people were dancing on sunday (SF set) they stop it for a class of 20 think that speaks for itself
    There were a lot more than 20 in there when I walked through but it's irrelevant since my point is that people know that's the deal at Camber.

Thought teachers dancing in Cabert was nice

I enjoy the cabaret format they have now.

ps can I mention the M25 on a friday, half term summer weather rush hour , 40 miles of slow moving traffice ? Thought not.
    I was in that for way too long for comfort too, not a good start to the weekend.

Don't read them then ? rather then moan about reading them after setting up a thread asking people to post ?

Anyone thankfully everyone got out following the fire.
    I wasn't moaning about them,just commenting on a statement by Rob

LOL... it could have gone either way with ZZ Top depending on how many people entered into the vibe of it not really being a terribly serious song to dance too - needless to say I cut it after 2 mins!

There is a much better version from a guy called Elvis Presely which doesn't run at 200bmp
    It actually runs at 117 BPM Stewart, so I have no idea where you got 200 BPM from?!
    Last edited by Rocky; 8th-June-2011 at 12:33 AM.

There were a lot more than 20 in there when I walked through but it's irrelevant since my point is that people know that's the deal at Camber.

(
    Surely things evolve at these events ?

Done deal doesn't sound too good
    Last edited by stewart38; 8th-June-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    It actually runs at 117 BPM Stewart, so I have no idea where you got 200 BPM from?!
    For the record I thought you and SF played great sets on sunday and in fact add the Swingers hour thought that was the best time for me.

117bm for my legs =200mb

Thread Information