Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc / Modern Jive for the under 18s

Ceroc / Modern Jive for the under 18s

My two grandsons aged 15 & 12 both came to Camber with me last weekend and took their very first dance classes - AND - they were really really good. Great connection and good timing, I was very impressed and so were the female leads as well as their class teacher.

BUT what do we do from here ???

Their local Ceroc francisee said Ceroc have a policy of adults only, no 'under 18yr olds' ?????

If these boys are our future and we certainly could do with more male leads, where do they go to learn (whilst the enthusiasm is still there)

They live just off J18 on the M25 (between Beaconsfield and Watford)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Re: Ceroc / Modern Jive for the under 18s

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    My two grandsons aged 15 & 12 both came to Camber with me last weekend and took their very first dance classes - AND - they were really really good. Great connection and good timing, I was very impressed and so were the female leads as well as their class teacher.

Their local Ceroc francisee said Ceroc have a policy of adults only, no 'under 18yr olds' ?????

If these boys are our future and we certainly could do with more male leads, where do they go to learn (whilst the enthusiasm is still there)

They live just off J18 on the M25 (between Beaconsfield and Watford)
    We teach anyone over the age of 14 as long as there parents are present and are supervised during the evening so the older son would be welcome if you are happy to stick with the younger 12 year old then he would be welcome as well. I'm sure there are other independents that would also be happy.

We have 1, 14 year old and several under 20 ladies who come on a regular basis to Oscars.
    Hope this helps

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What do you / they want to do from here?

Well, yes.

Catering for kids at a regular Ceroc class would be a nightmare - you'd need to CRB check the crew (or at least, the taxi dancers), you'd likely need a whole new set of other accreditations, you'd probably need different insurance, etc. etc. Plus, you'd have to consider the commercial implications also - would you be putting off your customers by allowing kids there?

Although you may be able to get the franchise owners to agree in exceptional circumstances, if the parents are willing to take responsibility for supervision - and a 15-year-old boy might be OK - I can see why Ceroc have that policy.

Dance classes for teenagers? There's loads of them around. (dance classes and teenagers )

Besides, you don't want them to learn Ceroc, you want them to learn to dance properly

Blog Entries

The inconsistency doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

You can come to our weekenders and dance, but you're not allowed to learn how to in our classes.

Either that or the franchisee had another reason and just used Ceroc as an excuse. Or maybe they've just got it wrong, but I can't think of a reason for it that paints them in a good light?

Find a ceroc or other MJ class that will take them... It's so rare to find young teenagers, especially boys, that will dare to go to a dance class, yet as you say, these are the future - and can you imagine how great and grateful they'll be at 18 when they are the coolest guys on the dancefloor!!
    Our girls started at 15 and 13, and in 3 years have only ever found one other girl of a similar age that goes locally. Not a single boy - ever. Even their own boyfriends won't entertain the idea...
    My personal opinion is it's good to get them young enough before they get too inhibited/self conscious. Although, I didn't invite our youngest to come until she was tall enough so that the other dancers didn't feel like they were dancing with a child.
    Not sure about policy.. as ours is a Ceroc venue, and I know of other franchises that have had younger people going too.
    I really hope you find somewhere to take them. It teaches them sooo many skills apart from dancing.. being an equal in an adult environment, confidence, grace, politeness, being able to be held without it meaning anything embarrassing, appreciation, respect for their parents (!) .. plus the best thing of all is our teenage kids actually wanting to come out with us on a Saturday night, whereas their peers would cringe at the idea. - Have to say our eldest, nearly 18, usually has a better offer, and doesn't come very often now.. again that would be different if there had been other teenage dancers she'd got to know locally as they could have formed a social friendship group that would have continued.
    So ask again/ nag/ persist/ find another franchise - I'm sure someone will let them go..
    Good luck
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by carollloyd View Post
    Find a ceroc or other MJ class that will take them...
    yup, that is exactly why I started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r
    We teach anyone over the age of 14 as long as there parents are present and are supervised during the evening so the older son would be welcome if you are happy to stick with the younger 12 year old then he would be welcome as well.

Really gutted that you are too far for them to go to. Ever thought of starting another class in that area

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    The inconsistency doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

You can come to our weekenders and dance, but you're not allowed to learn how to in our classes.
    Not really - there's a difference between allowing kids to be there and supervised at a single large location, and allowing them at every tiny town hall. Economies of scale and so forth.

I can't see anything on the Ceroc web site about 18+, however.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    What do you / they want to do from here?

Dance classes for teenagers? There's loads of them around. (dance classes and teenagers)
    teenagers ....... yes
    dance classes for teenage boys .......... hmmmmm...........

....Besides, you don't want them to learn Ceroc, you want them to learn to dance properly
    I am talking about partner dances, so other than ballroom classes for youngsters - what can you suggest ?

--ooOoo--

......I can't see anything on the Ceroc web site about 18+, however.
    I didn't know it was a Ceroc policy, am waiting for a Ceroc francisee to add a post here. Personally I think it is the policy of this particular franchisee, which is fair enough, he can add his own rules.

--ooOoo--

Blog Entries

Not really - there's a difference between allowing kids to be there and supervised at a single large location, and allowing them at every tiny town hall. Economies of scale and so forth.

I can't see anything on the Ceroc web site about 18+, however.
    I don't see why it has to come down from on high though. Surely Ceroc HQ could simply say, you can have under 18s if you like, but it's up to you (the franchise owner) to make sure that all legal requirements are met.

Commercial Operator

Besides, you don't want them to learn Ceroc, you want them to learn to dance properly

Quite a few modern jive teachers are teaching 'proper' dancing. The kind with frame, footwork, lead, foollow, etc.

I think the problem is to do with child protection and mixing adult students with children in the partner dance situation. The only answer is to have special classes for children like they do for other dances.

My advice would be to channel their enthusiasm into ballroom and Latin classes and find a local class that already caters for their age group.

Commercial Operator

yup, that is exactly why I started this thread.

Really gutted that you are too far for them to go to. Ever thought of starting another class in that area
    How about Mick and Jo at I jig they are fab teachers and seem to have a very young following as well. To keep them in dance they need to be around adults of similar ages

good luck, hope you find something for them

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I think the problem is to do with child protection and mixing adult students with children in the partner dance situation............
    hmmmm.......... for the 12 year old boy, maybe - but a nearly 5ft10in (approx) tall 15year old ???

........My advice would be to channel their enthusiasm into ballroom and Latin classes and find a local class that already caters for their age group.
    but the interest in Modern Jive, especially when Dad does it, and Grandma knows lots of people (including the other teenage dancers)

Anyway Andy, I know of at least 2 fantastic teenage dancers you have taught, one who started at 15 (a UK & international competition champ)

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r View Post
    How about Mick and Jo at I jig they are fab teachers and seem to have a very young following as well. To keep them in dance they need to be around adults of similar ages
    ......good luck, hope you find something for them
    Yup, great teachers and dancers, a worthy option

However, I think they are Bedford - bit too far again for midweek school boys - but thanks for the info and encouragement, will pass info on.

whoops just checked, sorry HATFIELD - a bit nearer, hmmm......... interesting, thank you again
    Last edited by Minnie M; 6th-June-2011 at 02:36 PM.

--ooOoo--

Commercial Operator

hmmmm.......... for the 12 year old boy, maybe - but a nearly 5ft10in (approx) tall 15year old ???

but the interest in Modern Jive, especially when Dad does it, and Grandma knows lots of people (including the other teenage dancers)

Anyway Andy, I know of at least 2 fantastic teenage dancers you have taught, one who started at 15 (a UK & international competition champ)
    I've always let people come to my classes from the age of 14. But, in the eyes of the law, you are a child until you become and adult at 18. That means the child protection law will apply if you have under 18s at your classes - even if they are taller than the teacher.

I've always let people come to my classes from the age of 14...

And I am sure our young UK & International champ thanks you for that - wish more teachers would accomodate these youngsters.

--ooOoo--

lie about their age and remember the 11th commandment

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    lie about their age and remember the 11th commandment
    not sure if they would believe 12 year old

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    "You are the Eleventh Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Get Away With It."

--ooOoo--

Blog Entries

I am talking about partner dances, so other than ballroom classes for youngsters - what can you suggest ?
    Blimey, Minnie, there are literally thousands of possible dance styles.

If they both genuinely want to learn to dance, then I'd start by considering what music they like, and proceed from there.

But, seriously, if you want them to dance well, they won't learn that - or at least, not quickly - by going to group Modern Jive classes.

Blog Entries

Quite a few modern jive teachers are teaching 'proper' dancing. The kind with frame, footwork, lead, foollow, etc.
    The slight problem is that Modern Jive is not inherently "proper dancing"

I think the problem is to do with child protection and mixing adult students with children in the partner dance situation. The only answer is to have special classes for children like they do for other dances.
    Yep.

My advice would be to channel their enthusiasm into ballroom and Latin classes and find a local class that already caters for their age group.
    Yep again.

Although if they don't want Latin / Ballroom, maybe you can ease them into it via salsa.

Definitely not AT though, it's not a dance for children.

Thread Information