[QUOTE=straycat;588744]It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I suppose it was a bit cryptic. Here's a not-so-tongue-in-cheek answer.

Soapbox time
As we all know, WCS was originally derived from Lindy, and was once upon a time danced to swing music - but no longer. However, it is still called West Coast Swing. Most will ask 'So What?'

More than this, many have adopted the term 'swing' to apply purely to WCS - hence you have events like ... say the Austin Swing Dance Championships, with a menu of pure WCS - no other (real) swing dances in sight. From where I'm standing, this seems like an odd misnomer. Stranger still, there's the likes of the Global Swing Deejays website... where they list top 'swing songs'... but there's no actual swing music in sight. So we have Swing DJs who don't play swing, and Swing music that isn't (and doesn't). As a lover of swing, and as a swing DJ who does actually play swing, I find all this a tad odd. Not to mention a tad irritating. {end quote)

For what it's worth there are Lindy DJs - and others - who are members of the Global Swing Deejays group who would strongly agree with your point about swing music that doesn't swing.

Myself I'd argue that if you dance a swing dance to it, then it's swing music whatever it is ... or does.