Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Children at Adult Dance Lessons

Blog Entries

Re: Children at Adult Dance Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Weeeelll... playing Devil's Advocate here, but you could make a (sort of) similar argument about beginners in Blues Rooms.
    If you want to play, you'll have to find a better argument than that. It is still the Blues room isn't it? It hasn't become the advanced dancers room? AFAIC, the blues room is where they play Blues music and where you go to dance to Blues music, I fail to see how the standard of dancing is relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I think we all should accept some responsibility for children, whether they are our or not
    Well then we'll have to agree to disagree because if I want to accept some responsibility for children on my weekend away, I'll take my own children thanks. On the rare occasions we get breaks from our own children, the last thing we want is to have any kind of responsibility for others'.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ceroc seem to have a fairly sensible and clear policy
    The event is not children friendly, can bring them if you must, but they pay full price and there are restrictions on them. eg they are tolerated,
    Actually, I'd class that as "discouraged but not actually banned".

"Tolerated" would be something like "Yes, by all means bring kids, but be aware of [XYZ restrictions etc.]"

"Welcome" would be something like "Yes, there's plenty for kids to do, and we've even set aside some zones / areas / classes to be family-friendly"

"Encouraged" would be something like this.

So it's a spectrum, and at the moment the emphasis is clearly closer to "unwelcome" than "welcome".

Providing children classes, would defiantly change the emphasis from tolerated to entourage

As I have already said, I wish I had learnt to dance at the age of 7 and I am not too keen on anything that would discouraged, children from learning to dance at an early age
    Yes, I'm also in favour of Ceroc doing more to cater for kids wanting to learn to dance.

But currently, they simply don't really do that.

I think we all should accept some responsibility for children, whether they are our or not
    Mmmm.... I guess it just seems unreasonable to put such expectations on strangers, who are there to have a holiday and not stress about kids' safety.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    If you want to play, you'll have to find a better argument than that. It is still the Blues room isn't it? It hasn't become the advanced dancers room? AFAIC, the blues room is where they play Blues music and where you go to dance to Blues music, I fail to see how the standard of dancing is relevant.
    I suggest you have a look at some of the many past "Blues" threads - e.g.:

It's clear that ability / experience is an issue.

But another analogy, even easier, is with total beginners in a standard freestyle.

You could make similar arguments there - not the same, but similar - about encouragement, development, responsibility and so on.

. On the rare occasions we get breaks from our own children, the last thing we want is to have any kind of responsibility for others'.
    I can understand that, but Ceroc very clearly state children are allowed on weekenders

So if you want a children free weekend, why book a weekend were children are not allowed

One thing I admire about Ceroc, most of the time , what is written on the packet is in the packet

Blog Entries

I can understand that, but Ceroc very clearly state children are allowed on weekenders

So if you want a children free weekend, why book a weekend were children are not allowed

One thing I admire about Ceroc, most of the time , what is written on the packet is in the packet
    That much is my own fault. I had thought that children weren't allowed in the dance areas (is that the way that it used to be, or just my long-standing assumption?).
    But, as David has pointed out, how far will Ceroc let that go? If we all started bringing our kids onto the dance floor (and I'm talking about under 10s), how acceptable would that be?
    That won't happen by the way, I have the integrity and consideration to not do that unless it was advertised as specifically for families, because I wouldn't want everyone else to have to feel that they are in some way responsible.

Blog Entries

That much is my own fault. I had thought that children weren't allowed in the dance areas (is that the way that it used to be, or just my long-standing assumption?).
    AFAIK, Ceroc's line on kids has been the same, consistently, for all weekenders - i.e. "It's not really for kids, but if you really have to..." plus lots of restrictions. 99% of people have taken that line to be saying "no kids", but technically that's not correct.

The current official line is probably best summarised as "We'd rather you didn't bring kids, but we won't actually stop you".

But, as David has pointed out, how far will Ceroc let that go? If we all started bringing our kids onto the dance floor (and I'm talking about under 10s), how acceptable would that be?
    Technically it's allowable. Realistically, if a dance floor had mixed children and adults in even numbers, I suspect there'd be issues. Even worse than WCS / MJ mixing...

That won't happen by the way, I have the integrity and consideration to not do that unless it was advertised as specifically for families, because I wouldn't want everyone else to have to feel that they are in some way responsible.
    Plus they'd be better than you.

Blog Entries

Plus they'd be better than you.
    You're not kidding!

Commercial Operator

Absolutely the point.

And I know there are children going to Camber, mine certainly are, so anyone whose enjoyment may be spoilt by the fact that 2 children may dance 6 dances at swingers hour I'd suggest you make alternative arrangements now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo View Post
    Absolutely the point.

And I know there are children going to Camber, mine certainly are, so anyone whose enjoyment may be spoilt by the fact that 2 children may dance 6 dances at swingers hour I'd suggest you make alternative arrangements now.
    Now we know the score, we already have thanks.

Blog Entries

Absolutely the point.

Is it worth maybe making some arrangements specifically for kids, as an experiment? Say, a "family-friendly" area / time / class? If there are enough going, that is?

Blog Entries

Is it worth maybe making some arrangements specifically for kids, as an experiment? Say, a "family-friendly" area / time / class? If there are enough going, that is?
    I dont know how old LindyLoos kids are but my opinion is as follows;

Kids under the age of say 9 or 10 should NOT be on a dance floor - full stop.

1. its dangerous supervised or not.
    2. its irritating.

After say 10 i think they know enough and can dance relatively safely all on their own. Ive seen this on numerous occassions. This is completely different but little tots such as i saw at Southport is a deffo no no IMO.

Commercial Operator

I only know of 3 going who are under 10 and one of those can't walk yet! So probably a bit much to arrange considering they'll be approx 1500 grown up people there. Maybe in the future if more come it'll be something that maybe Ceroc should certainly consider

I only know of 3 going who are under 10 and one of those can't walk yet! So probably a bit much to arrange considering they'll be approx 1500 grown up people there. Maybe in the future if more come it'll be something that maybe Ceroc should certainly consider
    I think it would be a really good idea (I don't have kids, so it doesn't affect me). Maybe some market research would be a good idea to see if there would be the demand? It could be a growth area for Ceroc. Although I wasn't keen on seeing a baby being carried through the blues room at SP after midnight, I'd be pleased to see youngsters encouraged to participate during the day.

Though you might also need to see if Pontins would be willing to open up some of their children's attractions - not being able to go on the swings/trampoline/crazy golf could result in some serious tantrums if the dancing wasn't doing it for them!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    It could be a growth area for Ceroc.
    Literally.

Though you might also need to see if Pontins would be willing to open up some of their children's attractions - not being able to go on the swings/trampoline/crazy golf could result in some serious tantrums if the dancing wasn't doing it for them!
    We're still talking about the kids, right?

Literally.

Well, they may have maximum height restrictions on some rides... but I think you'd be OK

Blog Entries

Well, they may have maximum height restrictions on some rides... but I think you'd be OK
    Hmm, I think my teenage daughter would call that "getting owned!"

anyone whose enjoyment may be spoilt by the fact that 2 children may dance 6 dances at swingers hour I'd suggest you make alternative arrangements now.
    Well, it's not definitely 2 children now is it? Now you've made it clear that it's OK for folk to not only bring their young children, but that they are allowed to dance with the adults, there's no telling how many there will be at future Ceroc weekenders.

As Southport was at full capacity in May, I expect all protests about young children on the dance floor will fall on deaf ears as it will no doubt be sold out in September, regardless.

Now we know the score, we already have thanks.

Like you, I assumed Ceroc's attitude to children at weekenders was the same as Jive Addictions, which was from a previous discussion about children at weekenders...

Quote Originally Posted by johnah View Post
    Let's be very clear about this. Southport is, and will remain an Adults event.

John did let a few teenagers in but only in extreme cases where folk had no option but to bring them, but I never saw any toddlers in any of the dance venues, let alone on the dance floor.

I think it's fair to assume that is the norm for a weekender, but it would appear it's not for Ceroc.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Well, it's not definitely 2 children now is it? Now you've made it clear that it's OK for folk to not only bring their young children, but that they are allowed to dance with the adults, there's no telling how many there will be at future Ceroc weekenders.

As Southport was at full capacity in May, I expect all protests about young children on the dance floor will fall on deaf ears as it will no doubt be sold out in September, regardless.

2 on the dance floor, the baby can't dance and I didnt see any others, so yes by my calculation there were only the 2 on the dance floor at Swingers hour.

Its merely a difference in opinion and I'm sure there will be enough space at Southport for anyone wishing to avoid the children to do so, after all there were probably hundreds of people who wouldnt even have known they were there.

And for the others who wouldn't want to risk seeing a child then there are plenty of alternative organisers doing adults only weekenders as we previously said, which I'm sure from now on you'll be attending.

By the way I took my children to a swing event in Italy and we are going again in August. There were young children dancing, sitting around the sides, everyone was delightful and the Italians welcomed the children with open arms.

Commercial Operator

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Like you, I assumed Ceroc's attitude to children at weekenders was the same as Jive Addictions, which was from a previous discussion about children at weekenders...

John did let a few teenagers in but only in extreme cases where folk had no option but to bring them, but I never saw any toddlers in any of the dance venues, let alone on the dance floor.

I think it's fair to assume that is the norm for a weekender, but it would appear it's not for Ceroc.
    Absolutely Ceroc is a different company, with different policies, and different views on things, but you know that. Also things change, companies, policies evolve. Ceroc is an evolving company.

Its certainly not the norm for a weekender, especial a Ceroc one

Thread Information