Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Children at Adult Dance Lessons

Commercial Operator

Re: Fair rate for Private Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    I do have a degree of concern when they're playing/darting in & out of dancers distinct from the dancing. That did happen at the weekend.

Ultimately, I'm not too worried though. If someone runs in front of me and gets hurt because I danced into them, it's a risk inherent to dancing in public. I do my best to avoid it, and if that's not enough, then an accident will happen. No point getting distressed about it.
    Am I the only person who read this and thought about children and traffic?

There is a risk with children running into traffic. Parental control means that is very unlikely. It's a risk you take when you drive your car on the road. But there are some parents who have no control over their children ...

I would be devastated if I hit and injured a child through no fault of my own. That applies on the dance floor as much as on the road. The difference is the level of injury that's likely to be sustained. On the road I slow down if I see children playing alongside the road. On the dance floor I'd simply stay well away. Both things mean I've been careful and minimised my risk of trouble. The difference is that I'd paid to dance on a dance floor, not avoid collisions with children.

If there were small children darting through the dancers I'd stop dancing and speak with the organisers - if I was the organiser I'd speak with the parents. If I got no joy from the organiser and small children continued to dart through the dancers I'd stop dancing, probably leave the building in disgust, I'd grumble, post something on a forum, etc - I might ask for my money to be returned, but that would be incidental.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

If there were small children darting through the dancers I'd stop dancing and speak with the organisers - if I was the organiser I'd speak with the parents. If I got no joy from the organiser and small children continued to dart through the dancers I'd stop dancing, probably leave the building in disgust, I'd grumble, post something on a forum, etc - I might ask for my money to be returned, but that would be incidental.

Absolutely, I totally agree with you Andy and I would be the same and as an organiser if I saw this happening I would be the first to sort it out. If you choose to take your children you must ensure, as if you were walking down the street, that they dont run out and don't dart between dancers. Hence the reason I said previously children are welcome if they are well behaved and supervised.

My child has been brought up in this world (I think he has attended over 30 weekenders in his life, both ceroc and swing weekends) hes 5 years old by the way and knows better than to dart in and out of dancers. Hes never been injured, though not saying he wont be ever but he also fell out of a tree last week, one hes climbed every summer since he was able to!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo View Post
    Hes never been injured, though not saying he wont be ever but he also fell out of a tree last week, one hes climbed every summer since he was able to!
    Falling out of trees is a rite of passage for boys. I can remember walking/crawling towards the ends of branches to see if they still held me up. Usually they didn't - you always tested them to destruction. Sometimes you fell into something soft and fragrant, in my personal experience you fell into brambles, stinging nettles, cow poo, a frozen pond, rivers, streams or mud - just a day in the life of being a boy!

Falling out of trees is a rite of passage for boys. I can remember walking/crawling towards the ends of branches to see if they still held me up. Usually they didn't - you always tested them to destruction. Sometimes you fell into something soft and fragrant, in my personal experience you fell into brambles, stinging nettles, cow poo, a frozen pond, rivers, streams or mud - just a day in the life of being a boy!
    Cow poo is soft and fragrant...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

, I'd grumble, post something on a forum, etc.
    Almost impossible to believe.

Blog Entries

Re: Children at Adult Dance Lessons

What is the ruling on ceroc weekenders. Are children allowed or not.? does anybody actually know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    What is the ruling on ceroc weekenders. Are children allowed or not.? does anybody actually know.
    The official word is:
    Can I bring children?
    Yes, providing they are yours!

To be honest the event is not children friendly and we do not advise that you bring them, but if you have no option then it is under the following provisos:

Children are required to pay full price and they will be issued with appropriate wrist bands when they arrive on site just as the adults.

We would ask that no children under the age of 11 are permitted into any dance venue unless accompanied by an adult and supervised at all times. And in any event no children under the age of 11 are allowed to be in any dance venue beyond 10pm.

We would also ask that all children between 11 and 14 vacate the main Entertainment's area by 1am.
    That's the official word at present.

The official word may change.

Am I the only person who wises they had learn to dance at the age of 7

What do want to do, wrap children in cotton wool, until they are 18, when they are are meant emerge, over night, as mature adults

All the children I have observed, at classes and dances, are far better behaved and much better dancers, than there parents

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    All the children I have observed, at classes and dances, are far better behaved and much better dancers, than there parents
    Children learn much quicker than adults and can learn to much faster music. I usually teach twice as much to children in the same time. The only problem with young children is getting them to hold hands.

And children are much more nimble too. When I'm teaching adults I have to use teaching tracks around 110 bpm. With children this can be 120 bpm. After just one lesson I've had 12 year olds doing the beginners routine to Candyman!

What I want to know is when it all changes? When do stop being so light, nimble and quick? And could we ever get it back?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    Cow poo is soft and fragrant...
    But not usually deep enough to break your fall.

Unless the farmer has put it into an open-air sileage tank - as I boy I never fell out of a tree into one of these, I jumped in

And it was pig poo, not cow

Unless the farmer has put it into an open-air sileage tank - as I boy I never fell out of a tree into one of these, I jumped in

Since silage is fermented grasses, I'm assuming you mean a tank of manure or compost with some manu it in....either way, yuck. But, as you say, boys will be boys.

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    Since silage is fermented grasses, I'm assuming you mean a tank of manure or compost with some manu it in....either way, yuck. But, as you say, boys will be boys.
    That'll probably be slurry then - still yuk.
    Though not quite as bad as our family dog that managed fall into a (human) sewage tank, in his defence the surface of it did look a lot like concrete

Quote Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
    That'll probably be slurry then - still yuk.

Though not quite as bad as our family dog that managed fall into a (human) sewage tank, in his defence the surface of it did look a lot like concrete
    Slurry! That's the word, thank you.

was your dog alright? Did he not know from the smell that it was not concrete?

Blog Entries

Am I the only person who wises they had learn to dance at the age of 7
    We all do

What do want to do, wrap children in cotton wool, until they are 18, when they are are meant emerge, over night, as mature adults
    I think everyone wants to see more young people take up dancing. And I think everyone also accepts that this means they need to learn and they need to dance themselves as part of this process.

However, I think there are a couple of significant issues here:

1. Mixed messages:
    It's not at all clear what the current official Ceroc policy is on these matters. Are children discouraged? Tolerated? Welcome? I personally think that, if children are going to be welcomed to these events, they need to be specifically catered-for. Dance classes for kids, dance times and places for kids, making the family-friendly facilities active, that sort of thing.

2. General responsibility
    There are real issues with young children (under 10, say) being present along with adults in some situations. Safety is the obvious one - but there's also the fact that parental responsibility is assumed, or forced-on, everyone present. I would hope that the children's parents are present and supervising, but how do you know?

That's nice, but not really relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Safety is the obvious one - but there's also the fact that parental responsibility is assumed, or forced-on, everyone present.
    This I think is the real issue. And I don't want it personally.

It's like a lot of things, you get one or two, or a few children and it's just a small attitude adjustment if they happen to be around and nobody really thinks to much of it.
    You start getting larger numbers and it turns the dance weekender into something else.

Just my personal opinion of course, but I really don't like this new "pile 'em in" overcrowded like sardines, small kids around type of weekenders Ceroc seem to be turning into.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    This I think is the real issue. And I don't want it personally.
    Weeeelll... playing Devil's Advocate here, but you could make a (sort of) similar argument about beginners in Blues Rooms.

In fact, I've seen very similar arguments made - they disrupt the flow, you've got to look out for them, it reduces your own enjoyment, they behave inappropriately. And so on.

And the obvious counter-argument to that is that "we all had to learn sometime", and the current beginners are the future stars, so there's some overall future reward in encouraging them to join in.

Just my personal opinion of course, but I really don't like this new "pile 'em in" overcrowded like sardines, small kids around type of weekenders Ceroc seem to be turning into.
    I wasn't at SP, but I went to Storm, and it didn't seem that crowded to me - was SP really crowded compared to Camber then?

I wasn't at SP, but I went to Storm, and it didn't seem that crowded to me - was SP really crowded compared to Camber then?
    I was at both and SP was very crowded in comparison to Camber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I was at both and SP was very crowded in comparison to Camber
    Strange - there's three rooms at SP, plus the igloo whatsit, I'd have thought that there'd be space. Mind you, I've no idea of the relative sizes of the two venues, SP may be far larger.

Strange - there's three rooms at SP, plus the igloo whatsit, I'd have thought that there'd be space. Mind you, I've no idea of the relative sizes of the two venues, SP may be far larger.
    SP was only crowded at certain times in certain places, If you want to dance infront of the bar in the blues room at 1am it was crowded, if you move around to venue and dont try and stand with the 'in crowd' then you would find space. i'm happy to dance anywhere with anyone so I didn't find it a problem.

, but I really don't like this new "pile 'em in" overcrowded like sardines, small kids around type of weekenders Ceroc seem to be turning into.
    I have only been to breeze and this was certainly not the case there

1. Mixed messages:
    It's not at all clear what the current official Ceroc policy is on these matters. Are children discouraged? Tolerated? Welcome? I personally think that, if children are going to be welcomed to these events, they need to be specifically catered-for. Dance classes for kids, dance times and places for kids, making the family-friendly facilities active, that sort of thing.

2. General responsibility
    There are real issues with young children (under 10, say) being present along with adults in some situations. Safety is the obvious one - but there's also the fact that parental responsibility is assumed, or forced-on, everyone present. I would hope that the children's parents are present and supervising, but how do you know?

Ceroc seem to have a fairly sensible and clear policy
    The event is not children friendly, can bring them if you must, but they pay full price and there are restrictions on them. eg they are tolerated,

Providing children classes, would defiantly change the emphasis from tolerated to entourage

As I have already said, I wish I had learnt to dance at the age of 7 and I am not too keen on anything that would discouraged, children from learning to dance at an early age

I think we all should accept some responsibility for children, whether they are our or not

Thread Information