Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Children at Adult Dance Lessons

Commercial Operator

Re: Children at Adult Dance Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Now we know the score, we already have thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo View Post

It's hard work sometimes, although I'm learning to follow my own advice.
    Last edited by Gav; 1st-June-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo View Post
    By the way I took my children to a swing event in Italy and we are going again in August. There were young children dancing, sitting around the sides, everyone was delightful and the Italians welcomed the children with open arms.
    Yeah, but that's foreigners, they'll allow anything in Foreign Parts.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Yeah, but that's foreigners, they'll allow anything in Foreign Parts.
    Way outside London, in the "Foreign" part of the courntry called Dorset there used to be a family friendly weekender call 'Party Weekender'. They encouraged families and the whole holiday was family friendly. If you wanted to get away from children this was not the weekender for you!

The difference is that Ceroc weekenders seem to discourage children. I'm guessing that might change. However, there is no change at present. Therefore, it's unsurprising that people who have been discouraged from bringing their own children complain when other people bring their children and those children are seen to be making their weekend away from the kids less enjoyable.

To say 'it was only this much' is not acceptable. Because it was that much more than expected.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Way outside London, in the "Foreign" part of the courntry called Dorset there used to be a family friendly weekender call 'Party Weekender'. They encouraged families and the whole holiday was family friendly. If you wanted to get away from children this was not the weekender for you!
    I think several of the independent weekenders are family-friendly also?

Therefore, it's unsurprising that people who have been discouraged from bringing their own children complain when other people bring their children and those children are seen to be making their weekend away from the kids less enjoyable.
    I think you lost me around "discouraged"... Can you do a diagram? Preferably with colours?

Commercial Operator

I think you lost me around "discouraged"... Can you do a diagram? Preferably with colours?
    How's this?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey quoting Scorch FAQs
    To be honest the event is not children friendly and we do not advise that you bring them
    I'm taking the red bit as "dicouraged".

Commercial Operator

How's this?

I'm taking the red bit as "dicouraged".
    .. or even 'discouraged' - ring finger malfunction alert

I think several of the independent weekenders are family-friendly also?
    RockBottoms (Torquay) is certainly very child friendly as these things go. Although we still end up getting a babysitter if we want to be able to dance together.

Cool Re: Children at Adult Dance Lessons

The problem is that adults can get their hands on children. And that has the potential to attract the wrong kind of adults. I took advice before setting the age limit for my lessons. The advice was that adults who want to get their hands on children have no interest once those children get to 14.
    It's great that you took advice. I am not sure about a paedophile cut-off age of 14 years old though.

Many of us have a very cosy image of the dance world. I know I did. However it is a broad section of society that partakes in dancing - as society includes paedophiles then it stands to reason that there are paedophiles within the dance scene.

I was shocked from my cosy rose tinted view of the dance world when I heard about a MJ teacher being convicted of paedophile offenses for a second time!

I sort of understand why this person's partner is masking her embarrassment by telling fellow dancers that he's "working away", but sadly this also covers things up for him to continue when he returns. As this was the second offense he was caught, and he's not being named I can see no reason why he won't just pick up from where he left off when he returns

This is a very serious and real consideration when you are thinking of taking your children to ANY event, including a dance event. In the main the dance world is a lovely place, but.... please be careful it's not all sunshine and roses

Commercial Operator

Surely the rules on CRB checks applies equally to dance classes etc - anybody who wishes to work with children must have had a CRB check - strikes me as a very good reason to not allow any children to adult classes as it's a PITA to organise.
    WRT the guy StokeBloke refers to, he must be on the sex offenders register - so has to report any potential contact with minors. I'm not sure if he has to tell the police about teaching dance in general but I would not be at all surprised if he has to.

It seems Cerocconexion is running a family class before the adult one

Blog Entries

"Cerocconexion"? Blimey, who came up with that name?

Plus "Sleep in next day... Evening runs 'til 11pm. " - sleep in next day? I didn't get to my venue last night until past then.

That bitching aside, the children's class sounds eminently sensible:
    What: The 'Family Hour' provides adults and under 16's with a unique opportunity to come along and learn this fun and easy partner dance together! Where before the chances for learning Ceroc for under 16's has been, at best, random or non-existent, thanks to Ceroc Conexión there will now be a regular, once a week lesson - so come on kids: Get your parent(s) energised and come dancing!

Safety first: Under 16's must be accompanied with a parent or guardian to take full responsibility for them. 17 and 18 year olds permitted unaccompanied

For the kids: This is a Family and young person's hour. Adults wishing to come on their own may do so at the regular 8pm lesson

Age limit: As we all know; kids grow at wildly different rates. Therefore, we can apply no sensible age restriction. However, common sense is needed as it would not work with children that are too young and small. This decision is best left with the parents as they know their own children better than anyone. As a rough guide we suggest a minimum height limit of 1.5M
    That all sounds completely sensible as arrangements to me. It'd be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 9th-July-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Thread Information