Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scorch May 11 'The Aftermath'

Re: Scorch May 11 'The Aftermath'

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Really? We cooked more food for other people than we did for ourselves!
    I saw that Jamie, you were a star - you must have been barby'ing for hours, but I thought it was a private thing

PS: were you cooking for the slide & hopper peeps then ??

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I saw that Jamie, you were a star - you must have been barby'ing for hours, but I thought it was a private thing

PS: were you cooking for the slide & hopper peeps then ??
    Think it was his way of getting out of 'hoppering'

He was clinging to the bbq so he didnt have to judge draged him off it

Private ? have you ever known usto do anything private

Thumbs up Re: Scorch May 11 'The Aftermath'

First Southport ever (booked for October ) so can’t comment on past experiences.
    I was in a totally un-refurbished budget chalet, but that was fine as I only slept (and that minimally) in it. Ate out most of the time so didn’t really care about the rest. The hot water worked well and my bed let me sleep just fine for the few hours that I wasn’t dancing.

Maybe I was having beginners luck, but apart from my ankle complaining loudly at times and refusing to let me dance as much as I wanted, nothing marred my weekend at all. I was in other rooms at the times the blues rooms flooded etc.

Joe Powers was great and although I can’t dance Tango, I happily sat and cooled down to his lovely music. Pure energy poured off him in all his sets. Cabaret was brilliant. BBQ was a bit damp, but we can’t do much about the weather :shrug: The space hopper races were mad, and I hope others have better photos than me!

All the music I heard seemed to suit my mood and by luck or destiny I seemed to find the right partner for everything. Thank you to all the DJs – wherever I was you all did a superb job!

Met some old friends, a lot of new ones and a weekend of spectacular dances all round. My worst dance was a good one – and the ratings zoomed up through the roof to some phenomenal ones!
    I’m going to resurrect the Message in a bottle thread when I eventually wake up, so I won’t bore you with them here.

Sleepy WT – will correct any mistakes in text when I wake up properly!

Great time, the good the milongas, dreaded the harmonica player, but actually worked really well on Sat. And on Sunday the beautiful lady playing along with the music, better than Mr Powers if you ask me, being asked for so many dances I could not side down, so much for tango etiquette.

The bad, the weather,

The ugly, the M6 car park on Fri afternoon, it made up for itself on Monday though, 4 hours drive from SP to Farnham.

The odd- the lady I danced with who clearly had never had a dance lesson in her life.

Oh and pontins, I have to say if I was going to "do up" the challets, I would and not do a half arsed job, I had a new bed, but the carpet was gopping, it would appear the new "management" are no or little better than the previous lot, this may not bode well for the future for us, time will tell.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    Great time, the good the milongas, dreaded the harmonica player, but actually worked really well on Sat. And on Sunday the beautiful lady playing along with the music, better than Mr Powers if you ask me.
    Who was this? Was that Tracey?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    So what was the story with the Pod then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    BTW thought the POD was a little scary - bit like the portable lab they had in ET
    I agree!
    The whole thing was a bit of a disaster really
    When we arrived, it looked very impressive and all shiny, new and pristine but very much lacking in 'atmosphere', like MM said, a portable lab!

There were four main problems, first and foremost, its wasn't wind proof.
    Secondly, the Pontins power supply couldn't cope and it kept tripping out.
    Thirdly, it had no chairs, for anyone to sit or to put their stuff (hmm, flashbacks to a certain marquee )
    But lastly, even if all the above were rectified, people hadn't a clue what it was all about.
    The private party idea is quite frankly, NAFF!

IMO, the only way for it to work, is to start off by at least making it look a bit more inviting. Tables and chairs and some nice lighting would be a good start!

Then to get people 'through the door', put a floor filling DJ in there. Then once the initial atmosphere is created, it would probably lend itself to a Sack the DJ area. There's more than enough people who want to do it.

And we definitely needed the space!

Which brings me onto how busy it was. I was told, there were over 1800 people there this time, 300 more than any other previous event.

Now, I do realise that some of the crowding would've been alleviated, had the weather been better, as more people would have been chilling outside etc. But IMO, it was way over the comfort level, which definitely had an adverse effect on my overal enjoyment of the weekend.

I paid for a 'Club chalet' but it was definitely 'Budget' standard and in future, I wont be paying £60 more, for something which doesn't offer value!

But, on a more positive note, all the music was good AFAIC, the floors were fine inc, the Bluesroom which was very sticky last time. The check-in etc was smooth.
    Didn't feel it this year, maybe cors I missed the social bit which didn't seem to happen this year, even the BBQ that was going on during the slide & hopper show appeared to be a private thing.

It was an OK weekend - whereas I normally come home raving about it.
    I agree. I didn't end up going to the spacehopper thing, as it was just too cold for me but I did have some of my best dances during the afternoon sessions, so it was just as well!

I had some amazing dances and some absolute belly laughs with my chalet mates but somehow, it lacked the 'ONE HUGE PARTY' feeling, it usually has.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

CerocPort Scorch

Well this one wasn’t so scorching hot but we made up for it in the main room, having moaned before about it been cold in the main room this one was hot.

Arrived early to help stuff the greeting bags and was unpacked and stetteled in before 2pm which was perfect form me. Discovered a new mechanism in to pull out sofa bed making it much easier to get out and put away giving us more living space.

It takes me time to warm up and Friday’s can be a bit more social catching up on ‘the goss’ but Dave Handcock dragged me off my chair literally which was the best thing that could have happened I have a fab dance and came off the floor set for the weekend.

The bar staff were as lovely as ever nice not having to queue for a drink.

Some of my highlights

sharing with Spinney Jamie ‘the Tasmanian Devil of the dance floor’ Disney Ben, This was his 2nd Southport and has only been dancing weeks, so I was shocked to discover he was demoing and in the spot light cabaret, well I shouldn’t have been he’s very talented, cant wait to hear him singing at Camber in the karaoke.

I spent a lot of time in the main room jumping about, the DJ that stood out to me was Haley her high energy music really got the young or young at heart on there feet it was very inspiring to watch her ‘geeing’ up the audience while on stage singing and waving her arms.

Loved dong the ‘scuffle’ it was good that Chris Baker was DJing he got right into the spirit of it and was so funny when Tony came on stage with his ruck sack on Haley did a brill job demoing, I couldn’t believe just how may people were doing it, Jamie Storey had done a wonderful job of organising it and making sure as many people were doing it, I wonder what Jamie’s plans of for Camber (no pressure then Jamie)

Loved ‘swingers’ hour both days, it gave me chance to wear two frocks. Lol I love watching Gav and Trouble doing Lindy wow, thank you Gav for dancing with me and we need to practise the back ‘thingy’ when I can see what my feet are doing, my dress hit them. Aston any young Ella were so cute, I don’t think im his favourite dancer any more iv been dumped for a younger model, she made me smile when she was putting her extra styling in at the end of a move with a back leg slid, I wonder where she gets that from? (Emma Pitt) lol Barry the refusser was back and OMG he was asking everyone to dance even me lol sorry Barry once you get a ‘nick name it’s had to drop’

I loved the cabaret format on the Saturday, Joe the ‘mouth’ playing was fab, I’m not into that kind of thing but I loved it, I get boarded easily we need different not same old same, my dance with him wasn’t as good as his playing but im sure he wont forget it.

I like the idea of the teachers doing there spot light it gives us punter a better look at what they can do you can then fully appreciate there talent when teaching.

Well done Shannon and ‘ginger James’ on winning tickets to the London Champs, they received the loudest cheer ever, kids on the dance floor they get every where, *tut*

Rocky and Val were so sexy and looked stunning.

Centra Alex and Emma Pitt spot light was awesome.

SpinnyJamie and Craig you boys were wonderful the cheer from the crowd at there spins said it all, I’m so glad you were able to do it.

I do thing ‘the boss’ should lead by example and would love to see lindyloo and Mike do a spot light, they make my weekends when they have a dance, come on guys show us what you got. (Sorry Linda)

I love the home grown talent I would like to see more of it maybe the way Amy got her first singing spot light at Camber through the Karaoke they could look at some kind of spot light for non teachers? Just thoughts.

The not so good bits.

The weather, I think it had an effect on the party games there weren’t so many there.

Little Mickeal been upset and needing a hug from his *auntie fletch* where theres a will there is a way keep doing the right thing Mickeal you will be recognised and rewarded I’m sure. Xx

There were some negative comments about the children which was sad some of the children are young and are going through a learning process but if there not there how will they learn they have more supervision and guidance then any other youngsters on the seen and are doing a fab job, there are lots of options at Southport with all its space, if you don’t like children and your in the blues room with three floors to dance on don’t dance next to them, it doesn’t take much common sense to assume if Mike is doing his only ‘set’ his wife, children and family would be by his side to support him. I have to agree with Gav if this is an issue for you choose a different weekender

‘There going no where’

I had a good weekend but then there's nothing new there with Southport.

Music mostly OK but little that really stood out for me though Marc's closing set definitely pushed my buttons (or maybe that was Princess Fi? )

Was too busy on the floor for comfort too often for, erm, comfort. No-one enjoys defensive dancing.

Shame the igloo met an ignominious end and never really took off

I did the Great Escape competition and that was good fun just dancing out there (not so much fun getting our arses kicked by a couple of kids though )

Our budget chalet had enjoyed some fresh paint and was clean but the carpet was still pretty rank (rather like the weather for much of the weekend) Hated the new style and arrangement of chairs and tables in the restaurant too.

Look forward to October

It wont let me edit

Big thanks to my lovely little boy Joe, Sarah Angel Jamie & Ben plus Joshieeeee love you all. xx

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

I did the Great Escape competition and that was good fun just dancing out there (not so much fun getting our arses kicked by a couple of kids though )
    Worth knowing people with big gobs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    There were four main problems, first and foremost, its wasn't wind proof.
    Secondly, the Pontins power supply couldn't cope and it kept tripping out.
    Thirdly, it had no chairs, for anyone to sit or to put their stuff (hmm, flashbacks to a certain marquee )
    Yes - I thought of that marquee also. Shame. I liked the marquee, it kept the riffraff out

But lastly, even if all the above were rectified, people hadn't a clue what it was all about.
    The private party idea is quite frankly, NAFF!
    So, what, did people book it or what? How did it work?

IMO, the only way for it to work, is to start off by at least making it look a bit more inviting. Tables and chairs and some nice lighting would be a good start!

Then to get people 'through the door', put a floor filling DJ in there. Then once the initial atmosphere is created, it would probably lend itself to a Sack the DJ area. There's more than enough people who want to do it.

And we definitely needed the space!
    Did you have to go outside to use it? Or was there some sort of corridor?

I thought they did an interior thing a couple of years ago ("igloo" or something), which people liked?

Ah well, if it didn't work it didn't work; at least they're experimenting.

Registered User Katie Kicks Ass's Avatar

Ok, this was my first weekender in a couple of years and the first one without having someone to go to classes and chill with.

The Good

• Sharing my chalet with a chef so yummy food friday night and breakfast saturday and sunday morning
    • Our own mini spacehopper races and bbq sunday night
    • Seeing lots of people I havnt seen in years and having some beautifull dances and good laughs
    • Being back to my normal 'whippet' crazy self sunday night so had some great dances and laughs
    • Not seeing a couple of old faces (yes thats good)
    • Swimming in an empty pool saturday then half swimming half chilling in the pool sunday
    • Even my aches have aches

The bad

• Wasnt really feeling like my usual self until late saturday so not many dances friday night and saturday night
    • Being a bit of a billy no mates until I forced someone to adopt me
    • Not having a refurbed chalet
    • Getting in from a wonderful night dancing sunday to find out I was locked out of my chalet (sorry hun It'll be a while before I stop taking the mick with that one)
    • The dance floors were all a bit too crowded for me and lots of bad floorcraft (I even try and watch out for people while following and still got trodden on)
    • Even my aches have aches
    • No pub quiz
    • No pole/ burlesque dancing

All in all a good weekend and can't wait for the next one

Replying to a few points;

- Agree with Lory that it was definitely too crowded on Saturday night. I hadn't realised they had uppped the numbers attending significantly. That might have just about worked OK if the weather had been nice and it was possible to fully utilise the outside dancing area and the "inflatable lab". However the weather put paid to that. You could find a bit of space on the far side of the main room but the blues room was so overcrowded I barely danced in there at all on Saturday night.

- The lab building was positioned on the hard surface area right next to the blues room timber decking. This made it so close to the blues room that going to and from there would not have been an issue. In dry weather there would have been no need to even change your shoes.

- It was unusually windy for the time of year so that is hardy Ceroc's fault. It was simply very bad luck. 95% of the time it would be nothing like as windy.

- The problems with the electricity supply and the lack of any chairs are issues that certainly need fixing.

- I also think that if it is going to be successful as a "sack the DJ" space it needs better organisation. Why not get folks to sign up in advance for at least some of the peak time slots, perhaps even with some sort of quality control in terms of vetted play lists (you don't want to have a dire hour of music in there making the building empty when the main blues room is absolutely packed). Maybe wannbe DJ's could submit say a play list of 20 tracks and the best ones chosen by a panel of Ceroc DJ's get allocated the prime slots (late afternoons and say from 9:00pm to perhaps 2:00am).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    - The lab building was positioned on the hard surface area right next to the blues room timber decking. This made it so close to the blues room that going to and from there would not have been an issue. In dry weather there would have been no need to even change your shoes.
    Mmm. My gut feeling is that any "external" building simply won't work on a "flow" basis, people don't want to go outside, even if it's only 20 feet or so. So if you want people there, you need to offer something to keep them there all the time, which is almost impossible.

Ah well, if it didn't work it didn't work; at least they're experimenting.
    They are and do take on board feed back, I think Lorry has a very good point with creating the atmospher, it was all been put up on the Friday, Val could do with getting a pearsonal team to gether and show them how she likes it, she would be far to busy to titivat it herself but she deffernatly has the touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Kicks Ass View Post
    [*]Being a bit of a billy no mates until I forced someone to adopt me

you know where I am I know i'm flitting about but you need to come and stand with us

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post

-

- It was unusually windy for the time of year so that is hardy Ceroc's fault. It was simply very bad luck. 95% of the time it would be nothing like as windy.

- I also think that if it is going to be successful as a "sack the DJ" space it needs better organisation. Why not get folks to sign up in advance for at least some of the peak time slots, perhaps even with some sort of quality control in terms of vetted play lists (you don't want to have a dire hour of music in there making the building empty when the main blues room is absolutely packed). Maybe wannbe DJ's could submit say a play list of 20 tracks and the best ones chosen by a panel of Ceroc DJ's get allocated the prime slots (late afternoons and say from 9:00pm to perhaps 2:00am).

totaly agree with LL on this pre book slot, and give the job to somone and stop one pearson doing multi slots, this has caused problems in the past, if there are any slots not gone then put them up for grabs

I think the Igloo is a nice concept but with a lot of flaws that need addressing if it is going to be successful, not least of which is actually making it a focus for the day's events rather than just "oh by the way, there's a random blow up tent here if anyone fancies it..."

Sack The DJ slots in the Boudoir were limited (I showed up almost at opening time on Friday afternoon and still only managed to get a morning slot on Saturday) but much better grounded with the big stuff going on in there, so when the STDJ slots came up there were plenty of people to enjoy. That and the fact that the Boudoir was not only the main bar but also the main thoroughfare on the way to the Thunderball room.

In contrast, the Igloo was off to the side, poorly lit, difficult to see into (the front door was zipped down on Saturday due to the winds), and the sign-ups for it were poorly promoted. At first they were behind the Ceroc reception desk (and you'd have to have asked to even realise they were there), then they tried taping them to the inside wall of the Igloo, but the sticky tape wasn't anywhere near strong enough (need ultra-adhesive gaffer tape for that kind of surface), so they were in a heap on the floor most of the time. That means absolutely no way of knowing who was even going to be in there and when.

I was lucky in that I had plenty of friends at Scorch to come dance while I played my Friday and Saturday night slots. One of the DJs on after me on the Saturday pleaded with us all to stay because there would be no-one left in there if we all disappeared - sadly we were due back at the chalet for dinner.

I think the Igloo concept could really work and would certainly add a lot of extra space, but it needs to be grounded in the day's activities same as the Boudoir is - otherwise people will (quite understandably) not bother with it.
    Last edited by DJ Mike; 24th-May-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Mmm. My gut feeling is that any "external" building simply won't work on a "flow" basis, people don't want to go outside, even if it's only 20 feet or so. So if you want people there, you need to offer something to keep them there all the time, which is almost impossible.
    I think it will work, I went in it floor was good, it dose need the pearonal stuff and it will change the whole feel, I dont like going out side this didnt feel outside to me.

Scorch Southport 2011.

Bad

This Southport for me was just too crowded (I was told that there were 300 people extra at the event), it meant that it was incredibly difficult to find people that you wanted to dance with, then you were just trying to ensure that you didn’t get your partner hurt.

Ugly

I found the floor craft overall to be really poor. Around the Bar people were carrying two, three drinks through the dance floor, pure madness.

Good

Overall the Music was really good. I made a comment earlier wondering if Craig Addison would be able to do a WCS set. I was pleasantly surprised, his set was top Notch, I made sure that I told him face to face.

On the children Front.

I think young children should be supervised, having said that some of the best dancers coming through are the children that some people were moaning about.
    Having a dance on Sunday I had a poignant moment where I was remembering Ruth Bell who had died on the Sunday before Southport who was a tremendous dancer and there was a young girl with a little baby, who knows this could be another great dancer in the making. If the baby is half as good as Ruth we will be very lucky on the dance scene.

The Pod.

I think the weather just meant that the Pod would never get used. I think it could be a great asset but only in the summer as long as the weather holds out as I know from experience dancers will not go out in the rain if they don’t have to.

Sack the DJ slots

Would it be possible to E-mail somebody to get a slot as it is impossible to get a slot unless you get there by 4ish which is impossible for so many.

I think in the last few years we have been spoilt as the weather has been so good, this put a slight downer.

For me this weekender was an eye opener, I can’t remember when I was made to go Red so dam quickly, it certainly brought a smile to my face. Already booked for October.

Firstly do people realise that floorcraft applies to people walking around the edges of floor (or the middle of it) and not just for the people dancing on the floor...

Lastly, crowded? OK. Maybe I only went out after 12:30am-ish but I never really noticed a major problem other than the random walkers on my first point.

Oh and ps. I thought Hayley Nicholls set last thing in the main room on Saturday night (I think it was Saturday...) was the best thing I'd heard for a long, long while!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Sack the DJ slots

Would it be possible to E-mail somebody to get a slot as it is impossible to get a slot unless you get there by 4ish which is impossible for so many.
    No offence Gerry, but is it impossible to get a slot? Or is it impossible to get the slot that you want?

You've reminded me of another slight irritation . When DT and I went over for the Zumba class on Sunday morning (Craig Addison - Brilliant, his energy and enthusiasm radiated out to everyone else!), we thought it was odd that there was no music in the Blues room, but plenty of people milling around. When we came out, still no music as it seems that no-one had booked the early STDJ slots!
    I know they're not popular slots, but I don't think you can complain about there not being any if you don't take what is available.
    And, from an organisational perspective, is it really acceptable to setup the STDJ area then walk away and forget about it? Surely it wouldn't be that hard for a worker to come in first thing and put a blues CD on loop if no-one is DJing?
    Next time, I'll bring our iPod just in case .

Thread Information