Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Scorch May 11 'The Aftermath'

Re: Scorch May 11 'The Aftermath'

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Great idea - I'd love a Lindy class.
    Breeze last year IIRC had a 'Lindy' class from Nigel and Nina (btw the DJ schedule suffered there because you weren't on it).

I say 'Lindy' because the dance on the DVD is what I've seen taught as 'Charleston' - perhaps they're interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    but I still would have felt I couldn't go in and dance because it wasn't available as a general dance space.
    I reckon that if there is just a couple of people in there or it is empty then it doesn't qualify as a private party.

Private chalet parties tend to be before/after dancing, so not those time slots. And mostly at those people want to chat and have drinks and food.
    I think the ones that matter here are the ones where are dancing / playing jive music. The 8:30-10:30 slot is about the time I've had problems with the neighbours playing main room music.

But as you say the later time slots are entirely pointless. They should shift any later private pod slots to before 8:30.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Breeze last year IIRC had a 'Lindy' class from Nigel and Nina (btw the DJ schedule suffered there because you weren't on it).

I say 'Lindy' because the dance on the DVD is what I've seen taught as 'Charleston' - perhaps they're interchangeable.
    Lindy hop and charleston are very different dances (just look at the footwork), but charleston moves are regularly taught in lindy hop classes and often included during social dancing. I guess they were originally danced in the same scenes and, since they're done to the same type of music, never quite separated.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Not that I'm trying to compete or anything but I too attend lots of swing events and weekenders and I've never seen any kids 'play dancing' at any of them, because as you rightly state, they are manic and two young children would last about 5 seconds before someone accidentally drop kicked them across the room. Hey look, I'm not the child catcher here, I was genuinely concerned one of them was going to get hurt...I winced a couple of times at the closeness of child head to foot contact, while watching others dance.
    I was dancing during Swingers hour and I didn't see a problem. As an aside I would add that the real talent in Ceroc at the moment (aka Tim Sant, Chris Baker, Jamie McGregor, Sarve and Jade) all started Ceroc by being dragged along by their parents when they were still at school. I agree there is a balance, but I danced on the floor where the two kids were and I didn't see them as being a problem especially when their parents were watching them the whole time.

With regard to the comment about too much Rock & Roll, I do not agree that there too much played. I recall there only being one Rock & Roll track, Bill Haley. The musical style that was played in the main was Black Forties R&B (pretty much ten years before R&R).

I think it’s commonly known that ‘Swingers hour’ is not genre specific, but moreover predominantly up-tempo music with a strong beat, and it’s not uncommon for Latin, Ska and Northern Soul to be played.

I've always understood the Escape branding to be light-hearted, and I guess they weren’t expecting anyone to take it quite so literally. ‘Sack the DJ’, the ‘Big Fact Hunt’, ‘Gods of Thunder’ etc are examples of just a bit of fun.

Swing as a musical description covers more than one genre, there is both the big band Swing era and the very recent R&B movement. The term ‘Swingers’ therefore means different things to different people, especially a select group of people who live at the bottom of my road who always seem to have the wrong car keys on a Sunday morning.

If you particularly want a certain track or are ever unhappy with the general mix, then ask for it, I do.

I guess the applause at the end of the set and the crowded dance floors throughout the entire set suggest that people in the main enjoyed the offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryb View Post
    I was dancing during Swingers hour and I didn't see a problem. As an aside I would add that the real talent in Ceroc at the moment (aka Tim Sant, Chris Baker, Jamie McGregor, Sarve and Jade) all started Ceroc by being dragged along by their parents when they were still at school. I agree there is a balance, but I danced on the floor where the two kids were and I didn't see them as being a problem especially when their parents were watching them the whole time......

more top dancers that started with a parent .......
    Tom Baker and the amazing Adam Crewe (of Adam & Taz) and don't forget the very talented Joe Fletcher

(Adam started dancing when only about 11 years old, which I think was when young Joe started)

.........With regard to the comment about too much Rock & Roll, I do not agree that there too much played. I recall there only being one Rock & Roll track, Bill Haley. The musical style that was played in the main was Black Forties R&B (pretty much ten years before R&R).

I think it’s commonly known that ‘Swingers hour’ is not genre specific, but moreover predominantly up-tempo music with a strong beat, and it’s not uncommon for Latin, Ska and Northern Soul to be played.......
    ........ I call it swing and most followers of this style do too

.......I guess the applause at the end of the set and the crowded dance floors throughout the entire set suggest that people in the main enjoyed the offering.

PS: For Westie fans......... don't forget Benji Schwimmer and his sister Lacey ! (his father Buddy Schwimmer is one of the most respected WCS dancers/teachers in this field)
    Last edited by Minnie M; 26th-May-2011 at 06:53 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I was dancing during Swingers hour and I didn't see a problem. As an aside I would add that the real talent in Ceroc at the moment (aka Tim Sant, Chris Baker, Jamie McGregor, Sarve and Jade) all started Ceroc by being dragged along by their parents when they were still at school.
    Are we talking about children of the same age? The children I saw on the floor appeared to be less than school age. I only saw them fleetingly but they appeared to be about 4or 5 years of age.

Like you I had no particular problem with them. They came near to where I danced once and I slowed down for a few seconds but the pleasure of seeing them dancing outweighed the small amount of inconvenience it caused.

However the one thing that went through my mind and I am sure is the thinking behind DT (who has always been a children advocate here) was that it looked to me to be an accident waiting to happen. (both in terms of seriousness and probability).

If I cause any young child an injury not only would I be very upset for that child it would make me feel upset for causing an injury. I think that the possibility of a dance accident causing a more serious injury to a small child when the same accident or collision would be minor to an older child or adult is something that would worry people that have concern for childrens safety generally.

I agree there is a balance, but I danced on the floor where the two kids were and I didn't see them as being a problem especially when their parents were watching them the whole time.
    I don't think it is a question of parent supervision, although this is important, because it only takes a split second for an accident to happen. I would also suggest that there is a greater likelyhood of there being an accident to a small child compared to an adult when on the dance floor because they are harder to detect and not as aware of the dangers on the floor as an adult.

The amount of time I saw children on the floor, was brief. To alleviate these worries some people including myself would have, I think it would be a good iea if a small part of the floor was sectioned off for them to dance in at those times.
    Last edited by ant; 26th-May-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Seems you put a smile on lots of ladies faces, including mine. x

Oh yes I must say Dave Hancock put a couple of smiles on my face.... Gorgeous, sexy dancer... cant wait till we do it again. The little devil.

[*] Seeing some folk I've not seen in ages, including Trouble and DT
    Awww Lynn, I loved our hugs and catch ups. Wonderful to see you too xxx

Blog Entries

I do not agree that there too much played. I recall there only being one Rock & Roll track, Bill Haley. The musical style that was played in the main was Black Forties R&B (pretty much ten years before R&R).

I think it’s commonly known that ‘Swingers hour’ is not genre specific, but moreover predominantly up-tempo music with a strong beat, and it’s not uncommon for Latin, Ska and Northern Soul to be played.

I've always understood the Escape branding to be light-hearted, and I guess they weren’t expecting anyone to take it quite so literally. ‘Sack the DJ’, the ‘Big Fact Hunt’, ‘Gods of Thunder’ etc are examples of just a bit of fun.

Swing as a musical description covers more than one genre, there is both the big band Swing era and the very recent R&B movement. The term ‘Swingers’ therefore means different things to different people, especially a select group of people who live at the bottom of my road who always seem to have the wrong car keys on a Sunday morning.
    Not having been to a Ceroc swingers hour, 'generally understood' means little to me. I do accept that in your terms, the music fitted the title perfectly. However, IMHO 'Swing' isn't just the title of a genre of music that covers 20s - 30s swing & foxtrot, r&b, r&r, brat-pack & modern swing variants. To me, 'swing' describes what the music does, and IMO most of r&b tracks & nearly all r&r tracks just don't swing. I know that there are a great many other people that would agree with me & probably as many who wouldn't.
    Anyway, that's a much bigger 'terminology' debate. I'll just accept that my narrow definition of 'swing' is not shared by all.
    Mmmm, I can feel a blog entry coming on...

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Not having been to a Ceroc swingers hour, 'generally understood' means little to me. I do accept that in your terms, the music fitted the title perfectly. However, IMHO 'Swing' isn't just the title of a genre of music that covers 20s - 30s swing & foxtrot, r&b, r&r, brat-pack & modern swing variants. To me, 'swing' describes what the music does, and IMO most of r&b tracks & nearly all r&r tracks just don't swing. I know that there are a great many other people that would agree with me & probably as many who wouldn't.
    Anyway, that's a much bigger 'terminology' debate. I'll just accept that my narrow definition of 'swing' is not shared by all.
    Mmmm, I can feel a blog entry coming on...
    I have to say I agree with you. The swing in the music is what makes it fun to dance to, imo

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    The swing in the music is what makes it fun to dance to, imo
    We should have a separate thread on this, in fact I think there is an old one........ the definition of swing ..... be it swing music or/and swing dancing

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

For my 2p's worth...

The bad

Saturday nights wind/rain that opened the Blues room doors, and flooded half the dance floor - pushing loads onto the other dance areas.

Floorcraft - mostly alright, as i kept to the pub or the Latin room when the Blues set was on Friday. Except when the main rooms closed Sunday, and people crowded into the pub... where people trying to dance to slow numbers were almost ploughed off the floor by jiving or wcs'ing couples, not seeming to have much care for whoever was in the way.

I know it was said earlier about people walking around the edges of the floor by the bar impeding dancers...but how else were they supposed to get around... i can understand it if they were walking multiple drinks across it.

Good stuff
    Must have been lucky with the chalet..all mod cons worked, beds good enough for kip when needed.

Sign-in, easy as chips

Music - some great stuff, loved the Blues sets, some chillout good- indifferent - or no way... but thats personal taste, overall loved it.

Had some verry nice dances (couple on friday & saturday- maybe sunday too) with a lass from Aberdeen to Blues tracks -
    So if you are that 5 foot something girl with short dark hair - Thank you very much, you helped make my weekend a great one

@Glenn Glad to see I'm not the only one who's only just got back from errr the weekend before last ....

My first ever Ceroc weekender and the memory's a bit faint but anyways

The Good

- Seeing loads of high quality Ceroc dancing. I have a lot of friends (from tango and salsa) who are a bit dismissive of Ceroc dancers : but , like any dance , it can look really great when done with style and panache
    - Classes : all the teachers I had were excellent. Enjoyed Franck's classes most of all - I can see why he is a national treasure , what a brilliant teacher!
    - Everything I went to started pretty much on time (at a dance weekender?! blimey - I'm used to Cuban or Argentinian concepts of time keeping)
    - The chalet was round the corner from the dancing

The Bad

- A few of the DJ sets were a bit club dance heavy. Personally I like a lot of old school/cheesy tunes in my diet. There was only one class I missed because I HAD to dance to a particular set.
    - Wanting a siesta on Saturday afternoon but being kept awake by some plonker playing his stereo outside the club chalets (apparently this is part of the weekend's "entertainment" ..)
    - The lack of classes at my level - which is "Low" Intermediate. Yes yes I've done the "beginner" classes (would I be at the weekender otherwise?) - what I want is some accelerated learning to be able to make the most of the weekend.

The surreal

Sitting on Sunday afternoon in the bar watching a short tubby lady dancing blues with a tall young guy. She was hugging him from the BACK and he was just happily standing there rolling with the music. I felt a moment of universal love for humanity. And that to me is what weekenders are all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Oh yes I must say Dave Hancock put a couple of smiles on my face.... Gorgeous, sexy dancer... cant wait till we do it again. The little devil.
    :
    Aint that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

more top dancers that started with a parent .......
    Tom Baker and the amazing Adam Crewe (of Adam & Taz) and don't forget the very talented Joe Fletcher

(Adam started dancing when only about 11 years old, which I think was when young Joe started)

PS: For Westie fans......... don't forget Benji Schwimmer and his sister Lacey ! (his father Buddy Schwimmer is one of the most respected WCS dancers/teachers in this field)
    My little Joe was 10 and if you remember back then I was/am stricked with manners and ettiquet, not just for children

Buddy mite be respected but Benji Schwinner, that name make me shudder even now grrrrrrr

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    A Buddy mite be respected but Benji Schwinner, that name make me shudder even now grrrrrrr
    To be fair, he was The Rubbish One in Friends.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    Lindy hop and charleston are very different dances (just look at the footwork), but charleston moves are regularly taught in lindy hop classes and often included during social dancing. I guess they were originally danced in the same scenes and, since they're done to the same type of music, never quite separated.
    Sorry if this is a bit of a late reply (I don't make a habit of reading the weekender threads but I was bored) but here's a little bit of the history

Charleston is the parent dance of Lindy hence the reason why so many Charleston like steps are present in the Lindy you will see being danced. In this dance form many people differentiate it by the name Lindy Charleston, since the patterns have been adapted to an 8 count rather than a 2 step.

Charleston as we think of it now , consisted of a sequence of steps designed to be incorporated into the Broadway show "Runnin' Wild" in the 20s & allegedly was a pastiche of the African American dances of the time including not only the Charleston but also the Cakewalk & the Juba.

The development of Lindy in Harlem in the late 20s was partly a backlash against the inhibited nature of the Charleston danced by predominently white people in the prohibition speakeasies. It used similar concepts of footwork but unleashed a more liberated spirit whilst dancing to the same musical form.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    To be fair, he was The Rubbish One in Friends.

I agree Benji is an arrogant sob - but can't take his dancing ability away

--ooOoo--

Thread Information