Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scorch May 11 'The Aftermath'

Scorch May 11 'The Aftermath'

Well, I'm pleased to report that there are new beds, including new pillows, in club at least. And they're obviously very proud of them as the beds weren't actually made up, so you could see they are new

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Scorch 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Well, I'm pleased to report that there are new beds, including new pillows, in club at least. And they're obviously very proud of them as the beds weren't actually made up, so you could see they are new
    Tee Hee - I had exactly the same thought when I got here.

New beds in Budget too...
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    If we're not misunderstanding and someones having a party, with good music and I'm not invited... I'm going to pull the plug out and deflate it..!

Ok, who failed to invite Lory?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    that was the only thing that WAS new tho

In our Club Chalet ..........
    We had one saucpan and that was filthy, 2 small glasses, no bread bin, no mugs or welcome pack. no lock on WC/Bathroom door, microwave didnt work, fridge had no door shelves, carpet was filthy and bath taps didnt turn off (did eventually)

In fairness to Pontins, their staff were very polite and helpful and they did sort out most of the missing and broken stuff, even gave us a brand new fridge

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    that was the only thing that WAS new tho

In our Club Chalet ..........
    We had one saucpan and that was filthy, 2 small glasses, no bread bin, no mugs or welcome pack. no lock on WC/Bathroom door, microwave didnt work, fridge had no door shelves, carpet was filthy and bath taps didnt turn off (did eventually)

In fairness to Pontins, their staff were very polite and helpful and they did sort out most of the missing and broken stuff, even gave us a brand new fridge
    Our Chalet wasnt much better to be honest, we had a water heather that sounded like a grand prix car, a shower that you had to rest your head on the wall to wash your hair and the carpet was really beyond the realms of filthy!!! but we had a great weekend anyway. Must admit it will be better when they have made some "improvements" though

Is this going to continue as the aftermath thread?

Here’s my two penneth;

Our club chalet was absolutely fine, everything worked, we had new beds and we were 30 seconds from the blues room with a nice view over the crazy golf with hundreds of cute baby bunnies to watch running about the place. The only things missing were washing up liquid and tea towels, but when we went to reception they said they'd stopped supplying them now.

The music was very good, even in the main room. My favourite set was from Oxo on Sunday afternoon, every track a scorcher.

I loved the swing sessions on Saturday and Sunday afternoon and was really pleased to see not only how popular they are but also the effort folk made to dress in their pretty dresses and vintage outfits. The music during the swing session was very good, but I would have preferred more swing than rock & roll. This for me was the best part of the weekend and a brilliant addition to the Southport experience, long may it continue.

As usual, me and Gav missed Saturday night completely as failed to wake from our evening nap until 8am Sunday morning, so we made the most of Sunday. We did the Zumba class which was really great, the teacher threw in a few funky tracks which made a nice change because I get bored of Zumba music for a whole hour.

This has been my first Southport since Ceroc took over. It felt pretty much the same as always, which is a good thing. The music is much improved since Ceroc took over, but I think that’s a personal choice because I love funk and I love to Lindy. Overall I really enjoyed myself, caught up with lots of friends and had some very lovely dances.

There was one irritation for me and that was the very young children running about in the blues room on both Saturday and Sunday. If folk have to bring kids to a dance weekender as they have no one else to look after them, that’s one thing, but they really shouldn’t be dancing, running and scootering around the blues room, especially during swing session when the dance floor was packed with very fast dancers kicking their legs all over the place. I do wonder how the parents would have reacted if one of them got knocked out with a kick to the head. Kids, just like the bunnies are very cute, but just like bunnies, they shouldn’t be in the blues room.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Is this going to continue as the aftermath thread?
    Well, if you're going to...

The music was very good, even in the main room. My favourite set was from Oxo on Sunday afternoon, every track a scorcher.

The swing sessions were great, but particularly Chris Uren? on Saturday. For me, that was a perfect mix, with mostly swing and a few Rock'n'Roll tracks thrown in for good measure.
    Sunday with Mike Ellard? I don't object to a full set of Rock'n'Roll with a few swing tracks thrown in, but you could have told us in advance. I'm not a big fan of Rock'n'Roll music so to play it almost exclusively for 1.5 hours when it's billed as the swing hour is taking the p1ss!

We did the Zumba class which was really great, the teacher threw in a few funky tracks which made a nice change
    I was quite pleasantly surprised, I really enjoyed the Zumba.

There was one irritation for me and that was the very young children running about in the blues room on both Saturday and Sunday. If folk have to bring kids to a dance weekender as they have no one else to look after them, that’s one thing, but they really shouldn’t be dancing, running and scootering around the blues room, especially during swing session when the dance floor was packed with very fast dancers kicking their legs all over the place. I do wonder how the parents would have reacted if one of them got knocked out with a kick to the head.
    IMO, the lovely DT is being a bit kind here. I would say; What the hell were young children doing in the Blues room late at night? and also what were they doing taking up the space of 3 adult couples during the swing hour! They only had that much space because the rest of us were worried about flattening them!

If Ceroc dance weekenders are to include children nowadays, and if the parents have paid for them to be dancing, that's absolutely fine by me. Just let me know and I'll bring my 6 kids with me next time, or more likely, just go to alternative weekenders where kids are definitely not allowed on the dance floors.

Kids, just like the bunnies are very cute, but just like bunnies, they shouldn’t be in the blues room.

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post

Me and Gav were up early on Sunday and saw the whole bouncy castle pod thingy fiasco. Lots of worried looking staff running around trying to think of something to stop it flying away in the gail force wind. We walked past an hour later to see the car parked on top of it. Genius! Although I don't think many folk had private parties in it after that ...come to think of it, I didn't see anyone in it before it had a technical malfunction either.

Good

- chalet refurbishment. Can only really comment on the basis of my budget chalet and a look inside one of the club chalets, but the new management at Pontins have definitely been busy. May start separate thread for folks to post details but in summary fresh paintwork, new ceilings, new shower enclosure, kitchen waste bins , new fridge, no manky carpet, and new curtains. So things are certainly on the up
    - Brilliant Friday night for me, never seen what used to be called the Latin room so busy. Rachel played a fab Latin set and the Harmonica guy was great playing along to some blues tracks
    - The hole in the middle of the Latin room floor that was there for years has finally been sorted
    - Free electricity even though in budget chalet so lashings of hot water and heating on all the time (it was needed)
    - Really enjoyed Sunday night, had lots of energy due to not dancing much on Saturday
    - Frank still as funny as ever but still managed to teach some really useful stuff (the only class I did)
    - One or two lovely compliments.

Bad

- The weather, especially on Saturday night. Not much outside dancing possible apart from Sunday afternoon.The May Southport's run of fabulous weather finally came to an end. Pretty windy and coldish most of the time.
    - Saturday just didn't do it for me, partly due to the awful weather. Blues room was partly flooded and lack of any scope for outside dancing or use of the new temporary building which had to be taken down due to the high winds added to the overcrowding. Everywhere very hot and humid too, apart from the Latin room but that was almost exclusively used for WCS and Tango on Saturday.

Overall then a pretty typical Southport. You generally can't expect your dance experience to be fantastic the whole time over the three days. There are bound to be times when you just aren't in the zone, the music may not float your boat or you are simply too tired to dance well. Factors such as the weather and the degree of overcrowding also come into the equation. However you just have to go with the flow and stop dancing if it isn't working for you - just take a chalet break, catch up on some sleep and come back later. I had fantastic dances in all three rooms.

Jury still out on the new temporary building - as an experiment it was ruined by the weather but I think it has serious potential to act as a sort of blues room overflow / annexe that would be especially useful to relieve overcrowding at busy peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post

That was the aftermath of Saturday night (when the severe winds and rain hit)...

However it came down on Friday night too... in fact I had the 'honour' of being the one DJing there when the power cut out to everything including the air pumps. So I now have the honour of literally bringing the house down!

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

Re: Scorch May 11 'The Aftermath'

Good
    - I thought harmonica man was amazing and loved listening to his music even though it wasn't stuff I'd always want to dance to - he was brilliant.
    - All the lovely dances I had, too many to mention but was doing my best to bring the blues room back to how I remember it.
    - Fletch on Friday was very flattering and got my weekend off to a great start when my confidence was actually quite low.
    - Closing set on Sunday night/Monday morning by Marc was superb.
    - Our neighbours on Friday and dinner hosts on Saturday were both lovely despite my chat being of a embarrassingly bad levels!
    - My chalet mate

Bad
    - The weather was disappointing and made it feel more like the February or autumn Southport.
    - The drive home, not seen rain like that for years and then the wind was horrid.
    - I thought the floorcraft was off a low level all weekends with a lot of bumps and knocks to be had, although this was probably likely due to the numbers.

All in all it was good, however normally I come home and can't wait to book the next one but am swaying it up against Midlands Swing and not sure where I'll end up so guess that says something.

Funny incident on Friday night. I was dancing with Trouble during Rachel's Latin set when things quickly got a little UCP (how did that happen?) and I found myself nuzzling her hair. 30 seconds later my eyes really started watering due to the fact I'd got some of her hair spray in there. I said it must be the my inner emotional Latino coming out

My budget chalet had no refurbishment at all, and was every bit as nasty as reputation might suggest. But the bedding was clean and I slept well, and that's all I really needed it for

Over the weekend everything was great. No downsides, no badness, not really any bad dances. Two ladies turned me down (both during Swing hour) which always disappoints but I was clearly the beginner in the room.

And as for Swing Hour on Saturday: Fantastic. My thanks to the lady that taught me to kick, and to the various gorgeously dressed ladies that put up with my general inability to keep up. Lots of fun.

A few dances in the blues room at various times were nice, although I'm still scared of going in there at peak hours, and the Saturday/Sunday night freestyles were excellent. I had to give up eventually both nights because my legs had given out; the desire was still there.

I did more classes than I'd expected. Learned some useful technique, a couple of nice moves and on Sunday had tremendous fun with two of the more unusual classes: Tag, which was just a giggle throughout, and Who's the Boss, which was great fun and also resulted in two ladies leading me into a drop during the Sunday night freestyle.

Big hugs to those ladies, and to all the other partners I danced with, even though I've no idea whether any of them are on here (or know who I am anyway).

Kids, just like the bunnies are very cute, but just like bunnies, they shouldn’t be in the blues room.
    On Sunday I found a hedgehog, which was even cuter than kids and bunnies.

It wasn't in the Blues room.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    Funny incident on Friday night. I was dancing with Trouble during Rachel's Latin set when things quickly got a little UCP (how did that happen?) and I found myself nuzzling her hair. 30 seconds later my eyes really started watering due to the fact I'd got some of her hair spray in there. I said it must be the my inner emotional Latino coming out
    Must ave put you off for life cause i didn't see you again LOL x

Blog Entries

Bad

Weather meaning outside was not used as much as normal.
    The Pod - whats the point.
    Numbers - found the floors extremely busy and fighting for space is never fun.
    A couple of the front staff who are normally absolutely lovely for signing in seemed uptight and even a little rude.
    Didnt find the dance lessons being offered inspiring enough to bother

Good

Chalet position
    Chalet beds real comfy
    Music was mixed but never bad
    Dancing with people I have not seen for a long time and also finding some real pleasures to dance with.
    Girly chats so nice
    Rosie making it on her crutches and seeing her enjoy it so much
    Danny - who as always makes me laugh and who enjoyed himself so much Saturday nite that I actually had to insist we went home 5.30am. He wanted to get showered and go back out again... I was asleep by the time my head hit the pillow.
    OOohhh pillows were comfy
    Watching Gav get lindied out on saturday afternoon. He ended up a sweated puddle.... mind you there was an upside to that, he ended up stripping off his shirt saturday afternoon and gave lots of girlies a little treat.
    Danny being apologised too by a lovely dancer (i wont say who) who said to him "sorry for grinding your wife"....... !! I went back for another grind a bit later

We went home Sunday and didn't do any dancing, the weather sort of put us off going but also, Ive got to admit it, I was shagged. So I missed Sunday and can only comment on Friday afternoon to sunday morning.

Overall the weekend was good but not as good as the past two or three SP's I have been too. I could not tell you why though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    We went home Sunday and didn't do any dancing, the weather sort of put us off going but also, Ive got to admit it, I was shagged.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So what was the story with the Pod then?

Also, what about Joe Powers - what was the music like?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Bad

Weather meaning outside was not used as much as normal.
    The Pod - whats the point.
    Numbers - found the floors extremely busy and fighting for space is never fun.
    A couple of the front staff who are normally absolutely lovely for signing in seemed uptight and even a little rude.
    Didnt find the dance lessons being offered inspiring enough to bother
    I agree with all your points Trouble

Saw lots of people on Sunday who I didn't realise where there as it was so busy

Didn't feel it this year, maybe cors I missed the social bit which didn't seem to happen this year, even the BBQ that was going on during the slide & hopper show appeared to be a private thing.

It was an OK weekend - whereas I normally come home raving about it.

BTW thought the POD was a little scary - bit like the portable lab they had in ET

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    even the BBQ that was going on during the slide & hopper show appeared to be a private thing.
    Really? We cooked more food for other people than we did for ourselves!

Thread Information