• £25

5 26.32%
  • £30

4 21.05%
  • £35

1 5.26%
  • £40 or more

8 42.11%
  • Beyond Value - I would offer my first-born!

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fair rate for Private Lessons

Re: Fair rate for Private Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Well, the booklet for Southport said £50/hour . and considering that the venue was free (in that it was already there and available - there's no way they could build that into their costs) I thought that was extortionate.
    We were actually looking for private lessons this weekend, but for £50/hour and given that we couldn't see any teachers in the line-up that we especially wanted to use.
    Again its the supply and demand thing and people will pay that rate. You're away on a weekender, have time to work on things you learn, are relaxed and enjoying your dancing, access to teachers you otherwise would have to travel to have a private with - all those things mean that it might be worth paying a bit more than you usually would.

My dance partner had a private lesson this weekend, giving him useful feedback and teaching things that he wouldn't have got in a larger class. It was really helpful and for us it was worth it.

Otherwise, I'd say anywhere between £25-£40 is an acceptable rate for 'regular' private lessons, depending on the experience and expertise of the teacher.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Again its the supply and demand thing and people will pay that rate. You're away on a weekender, have time to work on things you learn, are relaxed and enjoying your dancing, access to teachers you otherwise would have to travel to have a private with - all those things mean that it might be worth paying a bit more than you usually would.
    Yeah, but all that said, £50 / hour - under most circumstances and with most Ceroc teachers - is taking the mickey, it really is. If only because your standard Ceroc teacher is not trained (or necessarily experienced) at giving private tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Yeah, but all that said, £50 / hour - under most circumstances and with most Ceroc teachers - is taking the mickey, it really is. If only because your standard Ceroc teacher is not trained (or necessarily experienced) at giving private tuition.
    I wouldn't confuse the rates charged at weekenders with the rates charged by CTA instructors on their own patch. As a second point, courting controversy, I would tend to agree with you that a fair proportion are probably not well trained/experienced at teaching one-on-one .... they may not have the experience in analysis, dance form and theory and know teaching methods (but then again have YOU Mr DB? ).

Having said that, there are some CTA who DO have an impeccable dance background or whom are simply talented and able to teach one-on-one impeccably. Its ultimately down to what the student is after and whether the teacher can help in that aspect.

I'd like to hear more on this thread about techniques or teachers who represent excellence in coaching. Lets collectively improve the standard of teachers who want to improve and shame the shysters out of the business.

Originally Posted by jim
    I can't see why a dance teacher would be any cheaper.
    Originally Posted by Gus
    Given the responsibility if anything went wrong, the training and the expertise needed by a Plumber ..... how could you justify a MJ teacher charging anything like? Surely there is no comparison?
    I do not understand this statement.

When a person teaches dance I assume a teacher is concerned about the general wellbeing of their pupils, specificaly their joints, their back and their body generally and they have the relevant knowledge to fulfil this responsibility. In my opinion this is at least as big a responsibility as that of the plumber and probabally far greater.

I would suggest that if a dance teacher is not aware of this and therefore does not have the knowledge they should not be teaching dance.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    When a person teaches dance I assume a teacher is concerned about the general wellbeing of their pupils, specificaly their joints, their back and their body generally and they have the relevant knowledge to fulfil this responsibility. In my opinion this is at least as big a responsibility as that of the plumber and probabally far greater.
    To reiterate my core point. A plumber is trained by professionals to a Government defined safety standard. If he gets it wrong people can die.

MJ teachers are usually punters who have stepped up to the stage. Even the trained ones have little coaching in teaching psychology, learning styles, physiology or risk limitation. there are no standards. Outside of aerials I'm hard pushed to see how students can damage anything other than their wallet and ego.

There is NO comparison between the effort required to be an MJ instructor and that to be a qualified tradesman. If someone wanted to compare my teaching qualification to my professional qualifications I would either be seriously insulted or conclude they know little of what it takes to be a MJ teacher ... IMHO

PS: On the UK dance scene there are probably only about a dozen or so instructors who have the experience, expertise and training to be regarded as true PROFESIONAL MJ instructors, e.g. N&N, S&N. {Would be interesting to see who would/wouldn't make it on most peoples list }

May be I am just lucky, in my part of the world, the teachers all very experienced and very good. I have not paid for any private lessons, but I often get helped after the class, the help is allways very good and very professional. I dont know how much they would charge, but I would expect to pay similar to what I charge for photography and that is more than £50 per hour

PS I do have a paper qualification but basically I charge for knowledge and experience, not my paper qualification
    Last edited by philsmove; 26th-May-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    To reiterate my core point. A plumber is trained by professionals to a Government defined safety standard. If he gets it wrong people can die.

MJ teachers are usually punters who have stepped up to the stage. Even the trained ones have little coaching in teaching psychology, learning styles, physiology or risk limitation. there are no standards. Outside of aerials I'm hard pushed to see how students can damage anything other than their wallet and ego.

There is NO comparison between the effort required to be an MJ instructor and that to be a qualified tradesman. If someone wanted to compare my teaching qualification to my professional qualifications I would either be seriously insulted or conclude they know little of what it takes to be a MJ teacher ... IMHO
    What you said was there was no comparison in responsibility. How a teacher goes about fulfilling that responsibility is a different question.

If a teacher does not understand the responsililties to their pupils and taken steps to ensure that they meet those responibliities then they should not being teaching dance in any professional capacity. In private lessons where the emphesis is usually on the individual technique of the pupil and may require adjustments to their body mechanics this is crucial.

Blog Entries

.... they may not have the experience in analysis, dance form and theory and know teaching methods (but then again have YOU Mr DB? ).
    I reckon I've got a damn sight more experience in education theory and practice than almost anyone teaching Modern Jive. If only because it's part of my real job.

Plus, I'd be taking the mickey (at the moment) by charging £50 / hour. Maybe in a few years' time....

I reckon I've got a damn sight more experience in education theory and practice than almost anyone teaching Modern Jive. If only because it's part of my real job.
    Ahem ... there are a fair few dance teachers who are also teachers, trainers and 'proper' dance teachers as a day job too ................

Blog Entries

Ahem ... there are a fair few dance teachers who are also teachers, trainers and 'proper' dance teachers as a day job too ................
    Blimey, you started this piddling competition.

Blimey, you started this piddling competition.
    Nope, just putting some context round your comment which could have been seen as disparaging to many competent instructors ... I made no reference to myself.

Back on thread ... I must admit I'm a little surprised, and gladdened, about the rates that students think a good teacher is worth. However it would also be nice to see a few more comments about what dancers would expect for partying with their hard-earned cash.

. However it would also be nice to see a few more comments about what dancers would expect for partying with their hard-earned cash.
    The main reason I am likely to take one to one tuition, is, from the reation of my partner(s), I know I a doing something "wrong" but I do not know what or how to correct it

So, I expect the teacher to be able to identify the problem and help me learn to correct it

Has anyone taken geography into account? London is usually more expensive than anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Has anyone taken geography into account? London is usually more expensive than anywhere else.
    Fair comment, but its a bit more complex than that. On the 'expensive side', punters tend to have more money darn sarf, the majority of the top instructors are there and there are probably more dancers per sq mile. against that, there is probably a stronger network of experienced dancers coaching each other, more 'advanced classes/freestyles to advance dancers and more instructors ... back to supply and demand. Up North there is unfortunately a poorer education of dancers as to what 'good is' and pretty poor instructors can exploit this lack of knowledge to charge top whack for stuff they've simply taken off DVDs or copied form proper instructors (IMHO)

Commercial Operator

back to supply and demand. Up North there is unfortunately a poorer education of dancers as to what 'good is' and pretty poor instructors can exploit this lack of knowledge to charge top whack for stuff they've simply taken off DVDs or copied form proper instructors (IMHO)
    I think we all use different sources of inspiration for our lessons. Some of us are so busy teaching we don't get time to take many MJ lessons ourselves: DVDs, t'internet etc are good sources of inspiration or memory joggers - I'm not too proud to say that I probably use one of these sources once every 2-3 months. You might say I should know it all as a teacher. But there is a danger of getting stuck in a rut if you don't get inspiration elsewhere - and I seem to forget things too

Also, I ask myself whose MJ lessons I'd attend? Many classes near me have teachers who are not really dancers and just make things up - this is even worse than learning from DVDs and on-line. One teacher I know seems to re-invent the dance for each lesson and makes up moves by trial and error with no consideration for proper footwork, frame, etc - he's very dedicated and devotes many hours to each intermediate lesson. At his classes the footwork is never wrong - "there isn't any"! Quite often the routine continues to evolve during the lesson and the timing changes

I have agree with Gus that some MJ teachers are a bit dodgy as dance teachers, however, I usually learn something from every lesson I attend, no matter who the teacher. Sometimes I come over all Zen and learn something about myself, but nothing about dancing.

To get back on track, Quite some time ago, as part of my own CPD, I started having memory-jogging private lessons from a very experienced and highly qualified ballroom teacher - £12 for 30 mins including the hall.

RIGHT. Having seen the names of those who are willing to pay £40+ for a private lesson ... I'll be calling on you all shortly as safe-bets for relaunching my teaching career. Please pay in crisp £20 notes please.

Thread Information