Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dance injuries

Dance injuries

Has anyone else ever managed to get a black eye while dancing? (Only a very slight black eye - barely noticable unless you know it's there, but that doesn't stop it from hurting!)

A guy who I hadn't danced with before obviously hadn't registered how tall I am, and while leading me through a pretzel he pushed my knuckles quite hard into my left eye socket.

Has anyone else sustained any unusual dance-related injuries?

In the past (while doing lindy hop aerials) I've also cracked a rib once and bruised one once. And in MJ someone once managed to get their stiletto heel inside my shoe, which was interesting.
    Last edited by meghann; 20th-May-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added more injuries

Re: Dance injuries

Got my first black eye in 49 years from a ladies elbow while she was spinning

I have had 2 rather impressive black eyes, a couple of rather large egg shaped lumps on my forhead and plenty of cuts and bruises let alone being got by other ladies high heeled shoes!

the scariest moment for me which was narrowly avoided by my partner ducking me down was when someone deceided to do an aerial right next to us on a really crowded floor and they lifted the lady into a plank at chest height the quick thinking of Paul saved me getting kicked full pelt in the head!

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    And in MJ someone once managed to get their stiletto heel inside my shoe, which was interesting.
    And there was me thinking this was unusual. Happened to me at Chiswick a couple of years ago. She got her (stiletto ) heel inserted through the front of my shoe, so the tip was just above my toes, and then shook her foot to free it - thereby kicking me in the soft part of my foot and bruising me so severely it took weeks to heal. I still don't know how she managed to get her heel in there...

Only other unusual one was a slight sore boob after someone did a duck-under move and obviously misjudged the size of my chest. I just , he was decidedly

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    And there was me thinking this was unusual. Happened to me at Chiswick a couple of years ago. She got her (stiletto ) heel inserted through the front of my shoe, so the tip was just above my toes, and then shook her foot to free it - thereby kicking me in the soft part of my foot and bruising me so severely it took weeks to heal. I still don't know how she managed to get her heel in there...
    Ouch! It wasn't so bad for me - her heel went into the back of my shoe, by my heel (I wear sneaker-type dance shoes), but it didn't come out straight away so we stumbled around attached to each other. A had a bit of a scape and a bruise but nothing too bad.

Only other unusual one was a slight sore boob after someone did a duck-under move and obviously misjudged the size of my chest. I just , he was decidedly
    I very frequently get men fondling my bum - again, because I'm tall and it's waist/lower back height for the average woman

A lady once managed to kick my boyfriend in the head when he led her into a backwards drop (I don't know the name of the particular move, sorry) - she had been taking yoga classes and was more flexible than she used to be!

Another one quite badly hurt his back by going into a drop into which she hadn't been led. He strained his back in order to catch her, and even now, six months later, he sometimes gets leg pain and sciatica because of it

I was once in a beginners freestyle and tried to show off to my partner, a beginner, by doing a variation on a pretzel (when the pretzel was taught as a beginners move.... is it still?). The upshot was me tripping over her feet and twisting my knee. This inflamed an old injury and I had to go and have an arthroscopy. Missed my cousin's wedding as a result.

Serves me right!!!!

There was a lady at our venue renowned for stomping her feet as she danced. On this particular evening, she stomped as she stepped back, straight onto my ankle. The heel of her shoe (a fairly sharp one, too) punched into the side of my ankle just below the ankle-bone, then drove down with most of her weight to floor level. I was kept upright by my partner, swore very loudly although the music was loud so not many people heard, and hopped across to the steps to sit down. I couldn't dance for the next 2 or 3 tracks, although there was no lasting damage, just an impressive bruise.

I have also smacked and been smacked around the head while spinning, elbowed someone in the face very hard doing a shoulder-drop (Rachel claims she doesn't remember it but I think she was just concussed), and been elbowed, stepped on, head-butted and kicked more times than I bother remembering. It's an occupational hazard

I've had the usual feet trodden on, bangs to head etc., but personally think stilettos should be banned from the dance floor. Some ladies lately are dancing in 'fashion' shoes which I couldn't even walk in, never mind dance in!

Quote Originally Posted by glads View Post
    I've had the usual feet trodden on, bangs to head etc., but personally think stilettos should be banned from the dance floor. Some ladies lately are dancing in 'fashion' shoes which I couldn't even walk in, never mind dance in!
    I've been stomped on numerous timees, but it's only stiletto's that cause real damage - dance shoes, the heels don't seem so inflexible. Although I haven't been troddon on by tango shoes yet, and really hope I never am.

Dance injuries?

I think there's enough material for a website let alone a thread.

And there was me thinking this was unusual. Happened to me at Chiswick a couple of years ago. She got her (stiletto ) heel inserted through the front of my shoe........
    Unfortunately with the popularity of tango, we are seeing quite a few "shoe weapons" on the dance floor (they also ruin floor surfaces too) - just wish these dancers would keep their tango shoes FOR tango

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Unfortunately with the popularity of tango, we are seeing quite a few "shoe weapons" on the dance floor (they also ruin floor surfaces too)
    Proper tango shoes should not damage dance floors. It's possible that these are simply high-heeled shoes (stilettos basically), which definitely will cause problems.

Berko has signs all over the place about not wearing stilettos - do other MJ venues not do the same?

- just wish these dancers would keep their tango shoes FOR tango
    Most Tango dancers I know don't dance MJ in AT shoes, mainly because it's very difficult to spin in them. But as I said, I suspect those are not tango dancers, they're people wearing high heels.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Proper tango shoes should not damage dance floors. It's possible that these are simply high-heeled shoes (stilettos basically), which definitely will cause problems.
    They don't have to be stilettos to cause damage. I've been speared in the foot countless times by high heeled dance shoes, usually without acknowledgement or apology. As if you wouldn't notice stamping on someone, ignorant fekkers!

Other injuries include back strain from leaders thinking it's ok to throw you in to some gymnastic arch or drop like you're a 15 year old Russian olympic champion back-flipper. Grrr!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    They don't have to be stilettos to cause damage. I've been speared in the foot countless times by high heeled dance shoes, usually without acknowledgement or apology. As if you wouldn't notice stamping on someone, ignorant fekkers!
    Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear.

AT shoes should not damage floors, but can and do damage people

Blog Entries

I got a shoulder injury many years ago when a very helpful lady decided that as I passed under my own arm that she'd help me out by yanking down on my hand!

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Most Tango dancers I know don't dance MJ in AT shoes........
    True, but there are quite a few ladies (not dedicated Tango Dancers) who buy stiletto heeled shoes to use for tango, these ladies are MJ dancers who 'dabble' or are just learning - and you have to admit they are beautiful shoes and really flatter the leg

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    .........Grrr!

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Blog Entries

True, but there are quite a few ladies (not dedicated Tango Dancers) who buy stiletto heeled shoes to use for tango
    Maybe... I've not seen any such ladies, but strange things could go on in Foreign Parts

...you have to admit they are beautiful shoes and really flatter the leg
    And also really destroy the feet, apparently

Ended up in the splits once - combination of new shoes plus very slippy floor. That certainly cleared the floor!

That happened nearly 4 years ago and I still go ouch with the memory.

WT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    And also really destroy the feet, apparently
    Tango shoes are specifically designed to dance tango in; they support the foot and leg and create good posture. Considering that you famously see people tango-ing well into their 80s, I'd be surprised if the shoes caused any damage.

Thread Information