Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, has anyone used the new iCeroc iPhone App?

Blog Entries

So, has anyone used the new iCeroc iPhone App?

Just search for Ceroc in the App Store

Ceroc VenueFinder

Find your nearest Ceroc venue for regular classes or freestyles
    This application will enable you to find classes near you either using postcode or geographic location
    Sounds useful - but is it worth £1.19 to download what is basically a promotional tool for Ceroc?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Re: So, has anyone used the new iCeroc iPhone App?

I downloaded it this morning and it looks quite good. It can find freestyle or class night from you current location. You put in how many miles you are willing to travel it shows you what’s available.

Of course it is limited to Ceroc only. I can envisage this being quite useful and especially so if you have to travel around for your job.

Nope. 'cause I have an Android phone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mike View Post
    Nope. 'cause I have an Android phone.
    Good point, Mike! Where's the Droid, Windows, Blackberry & Nokia versions, Ceroc™?

(Or maybe they realise non-Apple users are bright & can figure out how to use a browser? *ducks & runs*)

lol, I would think a Ceroc location finder would be very useful if I'm on my travels. But yes, I can use their website easily enough from my phone.

Kinda surprises me they went down the iPhone route first when I believe Android has a higher number of users in this country now.

Personally I think a version of the UK-jive website that's easy to use from a mobile would be more useful...

Blog Entries

I can think of plenty of better things to waste £1.19 on and just continue to use a little prior planning and preparation. :p

Oh, hold on, you have to PAY for it?! Let me get this straight... they want to get you to one of their venues so you spend money there, but they want you to pay for the privilege of knowing how to get there in the first place? When you can happily just use their website for free?

Loons!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, hold on, you have to PAY for it?! Let me get this straight... they want to get you to one of their venues so you spend money there, but they want you to pay for the privilege of knowing how to get there in the first place? When you can happily just use their website for free?
    It does seem a little strange, yes. You'd think they'd promote it as a freebie for marketing purposes...

Re: So, has anyone used the new Ciroc iPhone App?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    It does seem a little strange, yes. You'd think they'd promote it as a freebie for marketing purposes...

But people or more likely keep things they pay for

freebies are more likely to get thrown away, or deleted

so may be, not so stupid after all

Re: So, has anyone used the new Ciroc iPhone App?

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    But people or more likely keep things they pay for

freebies are more likely to get thrown away, or deleted

so may be, not so stupid after all
    I think where a utility app is concerned, people would keep it if it is useful (I certainly would), not because they paid for it. I certainly accept paying for something increases your attachment to it, but that really shouldn't be necessary if the app was any good to start with.

So the question is, is the app actually any good? Does it keep an offline copy of all currently known Ceroc locations (thus negating the need for an active internet connection) - I could see that being very useful.

It does surprise me that it is a paid app but there must be a reason for that (and it would have had a cost to develop) though £1.19 is a relative pittance so I guess it's the principle more than the price that people object to.

Tying in the GPS functionality (if that's what it does) lifts it above a standard browser visit to their website and I can certainly see a market for it. I can't believe people are knocking them for not having versions for all smartphones available yet, paranoid android indeed.

Ignorant on this - does someone have to pay for apps on the store? i.e. if there are "free" ones does someone have to pay a download fee to Apple?

FWIW http://www.areyoudancing.com seems to do the job for events local to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I can't believe people are knocking them for not having versions for all smartphones available yet, paranoid android indeed.
    I don't think anybody's knocking anyone (but feel free to quote the post if I'm wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Ignorant on this - does someone have to pay for apps on the store? i.e. if there are "free" ones does someone have to pay a download fee to Apple?
    Apple take a 30% cut of any fees charged, but the fees are optional (for the author of the app), so free apps are completely free.

Of course, you'd already have spent far too much money buying a locked down closed device that's inferior to some of the cheaper alternatives, but that's kind of a personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I don't think anybody's knocking anyone (but feel free to quote the post if I'm wrong).
    Okay, so it's stretching the definition of knocking but these were what prompted me

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Where's the Droid, Windows, Blackberry & Nokia versions, Ceroc™?
    Kinda surprises me they went down the iPhone route first when I believe Android has a higher number of users in this country now.
    Cederic's post (after I had posted) was a bit more directly anti-Apple but I really don't want to get into a my phone's smarter than yours debate. I think it's good that there's choice out there for people. I do believe that there must be a reason that Ceroc have released the app for iPhone first (assuming versions for other phones will follow), perhaps they believe market share is greater there, perhaps it is the demographic they are targetting, who knows?

Blog Entries

Okay, so it's stretching the definition of knocking
    Yup. One might even venture to call it light hearted banter...

I really don't want to get into a my phone's smarter than yours debate
    Good plan. That way lies madness.

Rather than worry about which phone it's on, I'm actually more curious as to why they decided to charge £1.19 for it, as opposed to setting the development costs against the increased number of people that the app brings through the door.

As I travel a lot at the moment, I can see a use for it - but I have to be honest, and say that I wouldn't pay extra for the value that it might add. That's why I started the thread - so see if anyone else had tried it, and what it was like.

I really don't want to get into a my phone's smarter than yours debate.
    Sorry, I try to hold back.. for what it's worth I have a smartphone that doesn't run iOs, WebOS, Symbian (or Epoc), Android, Palm, Windows Mobile (any incarnation) or Blackberry, and I don't recommend it to anybody (but nothing on the market is a hardware upgrade, until later in the year).

My initial post was merely clarifying Apples appstore charging model and highlighting that the app cost is marginal relative to the device itself. But the same would apply to many top-end smartphones and doesn't justify charging for capabilities available over the web for free.

I use the Ceroc websites (whichever region I happen to be in) and UK Jive on my mobile browser and don't worry about apps.

Send me a PM if you want the full-on extended rant about why you shouldn't financially support Apple's mobile strategy.

Blog Entries

It looks like our friends at HQ are receptive to feedback, as the app is now listed as free. Fair play, chaps.

It's a teeny bit buggy when switching from landscape to portrait, however, it'll definitely be useful for finding venues, so I'm glad I've got it.

Great! Now get an Android version of the app out and I'll actually be able to give it a spin!

Thread Information