Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Alternative vote - yes or no?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Alternative vote - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    And you know this because?
    nah, I am only speculating - i dont think its hard to believe that NO was the easy option for the person in the street who was thinking - "why are we even bothering with this now, its a recession!". Of course some people would have listened to the exceedingly dull rhetoric coming from both camps and weighed it all up, but not too many

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    nah, I am only speculating - i dont think its hard to believe that NO was the easy option for the person in the street who was thinking - "why are we even bothering with this now, its a recession!". Of course some people would have listened to the exceedingly dull rhetoric coming from both camps and weighed it all up, but not too many
    As someone who rarely buys a newspaper I've only been exposed to the 'yes' rhetoric on here. I never heard or read any of the 'no' arguments until a few days before the referendum - those aguments seemed mostly weak, fuzzy and emotional. As opposed to the 'yes' arguments which seemed the product of wooly thinking and even more emotional. The opinions I expressed here were mostly my own. If I had pointy ears and two hearts I'd be talking about AV being 'illogical' - based entirely on my own observation. However, my observations came to me during a deep period of kel' no'reem

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mike View Post
    It is interesting just how lopsided the vote ended up being. I wonder how much of the 'no' vote was:

- People thinking AV was the wrong solution
    - Because of the No2AV's mud-slinging campaign
    - Because many people turned away from the Lib Dems in the local elections and saw AV/reform as a Lib Dem policy
    - Simple resistance to any kind of change
    - Because people genuinely like FPTP

It would be interesting to find out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    If i was to guess, Id pick two reasons: 1 it was a lib-dem idea and 2 it would cost something to implement; not the ridiculous figures quoted by the NO campaign but ANY extra cost to implement a not-absolutely-needed change seems extravagant these days.

Ultimately, i'd say the majority of people voted "meh".
    I worked at a polling station at the elections and I think a lot of people voted "no" because they didn't understand AV so decided to stick with the devil they know. I think the idea of having to 'number' everything (as they did in the scottish elections a few years ago) appeared to be hard work and confusing and people just couldn't be bothered with it.

I was also amazed by the number of mumbling complaints from those who bothered to turn out (though we had over 50% turn-out at my polling station) complaining that they didn't really know why they bothered, what was the point etc., etc..

Thread Information