Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport Weekender 14-17 May 2004

Re: Re: "Sinners" appearing at Southport

Originally posted by TheTramp
    That's one of my favourite words (in that context anyow). The word 'least'.

We can keep the party going until at least 6am, can't we??

Trampy
    Sure, no problem! Makes note to stock up on Red Bull

Commercial Operator

Freestyle until at least 4am

Hey Steve,

If there's one big phat party still going on at 4am, and everyone wants to continue to party - well, we'll just have to see about a wee extension won't we!!!!!!

wish list

given the names cuurently billed on the website, here's my personal wish list of what I'd like to see

Nigel Anderson - musical interpretation workshop

Nina Daines - ballet-jive fusion workshop

(always nice to get blues workshops from Nigel and Nina too )

Amir & Kate - style workshop - several hours of it - especially as I couldn't get to his last one (too expensive, plus clashed with top o/s visiting salsa teacher that was a one off)

Viktor & partner - new UK Ceroc moves workshops (int/adv)

Martin Elliott - new Australian Ceroc moves workshops (int/adv)

Ren Lexander
    Never heard of him but if he's respected on the Oz circuit then some basic (non-choreographed) latin ceroc at intermediate or advanced level would be cool

Graham LeClerc & Sarah
    Mostly just being beautiful but I'd go along to their class probably just cos they seem like such nice people - loads of respect for the work they do (g,d &r from other organisers from their area)

Mikey
    Doing what he does to keep all the ladies excited lol

Peter Phillips
    doing his amazing lemon latin lover cabaret, maybe discussing some of the moves, bribing him with Buds to do this when I sleep in for his class lol

Steve Lampert - Blues workshop

Robin & Raven
    As they teach Lindy this has zero interest for me

David Martin & Jaime - sorry, never heard of them
    Jatinder Singh - ditto

Marianne Hospel - as she's a ballroom and latin champ I'd like to have a style workshop using stepping / movement techniques from these dances (no interest in learning a ballroom 'routine' or 'intro to fox trot' etc)

This is a very personal wish list but good luck to everyone whatever they do.

Ceroc and ceroc events to me are "high social intensity, low dance intensity" - if I'm going to pay money or take time off freestyle I ned a good reason. I'm going for the freestyle and 4am or 6am freestyles sound good to me!!!.

Maybe if a few other people post wish lists it might give the organisers some more ideas to chew on? (for this or future ones - though doubtless they're not short of ideas - and it can be hard to add stuff last minute and also to persuade teachers to do stuff that takes lots of work and planning when they could churn out crowd-pleasing workshops).

Re: wish list

Originally posted by Chris
    given the names cuurently billed on the website, here's my personal wish list of what I'd like to see
    Peter Phillips
    doing his amazing lemon latin lover cabaret, maybe discussing some of the moves, bribing him with Buds to do this when I sleep in for his class lol.....
    Blimey did not think it was that good ....it got turned down for Ceroc showcase comp last year, and as I dont dance with Alina anymore I dont have a partner that know's it
    thanks for the compliment tho
    peter

Commercial Operator

Re: wish list

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris
    [B]given the names cuurently billed on the website, here's my personal wish list of what I'd like to see

Hi Chris, interesting wish list. You're quite right in thinking that Wes and I are not short of an idea or two, but we're also interested in hearing other dancers views. Indeed, we've taken many such views on board already and, you'll be pleased to know, that some [if not all] of your wishes might just be granted.

We've brought together a terrific line-up of Teachers at Southport and, even those that you [currently] haven't heard of have excellent street cred! We've spent hours and hours and hours working on our workshop programme, it ain't easy for such a big event as this, but subject to a few last minute adjustments that may be required, we're pretty close to having finalised the format of over 40 hours of workshops. One thing's for sure, we're fairly confident that dancers will find a host of lessons to enjoy. Full details will be published asap.

www.jiveaddiction.com

Re: Re: wish list

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    ....it got turned down for Ceroc showcase comp last year
    So you've said lol - don't you know when to interpret that as a compliment?

Just sent off my booking for Southport with 2 others. Our teacher and his demonstrator are also going and another 7 are interested... We have on average 30 along to class each week so that's a fair proportion. The class was buzzing about Southport last night...

And of course I am really looking forward to meeting up with other forumites!

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Lynn
    JAnd of course I am really looking forward to meeting up with other forumites!
    And the other forumites are looking forward to meeting up with you too Lynn....

Trampy

Originally posted by TheTramp
    And the other forumites are looking forward to meeting up with you too Lynn....

Wish list

Well I can't argue too much with your wish list Chris. [very much what I would go for]

I know they have been working hard to provide a good mix for the dancers. I saw Wes last night as he is in Sydney at the moment and he was talking to me about the program, which a lot of hard work has gone into.

A lot of thought always goes into providing a mix.

The good thing is the dancers can pick and choose and every wish list would be slightly different, so variety is good.
    (I too avoid the Lindy as there are Lindy w/e's for that - plenty of them. Still some like a bit of Lindy as well) - Provides a good break for food or a chat, or simply just a rest/sleep in.

With so many teachers it is difficult to show all a teacher can do. I love teaching "new moves Aussie style", they also wanted a cha cha person, so I will do that and show how to break into and out of cha cha and back to Ceroc and what modern music that can be done to (LL, DJ'ing for me on this one! - Wes also had some cool music suggestions for this). The non-strength ariels are handy for anyone wanting to break into Cabarets.

If I had restricted knowledge/background, I would probably just stick to "mainstream Adv/Int Ceroc", I did ask Wes last night (having read your post) can I also do New Aussie ceroc moves, he explained the schedule

Very full...

Oh i do hope i can get to go to that. Trouble is i have my finals around that time. Im hoping I will be lucky on two counts 1. that my exams are prior to that date and 2. I can still get in on a late booking

I would so love to go. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

Well, I've finally gotten round to booking my tickets for Southport - not that there was ever much doubt that I'd be going!

I reckon it's going to be a fantastic weekend

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Neil

There are going to be 8 from our Belfast class there - and it will be the first jive weekender for almost all of us (everyone except the teacher) so we are looking foward to a great weekend!!

B.T.C.
    There are going to be 8 from our Belfast class there - and it will be the first jive weekender for almost all of us (everyone except the teacher) so we are looking foward to a great weekend!!

looking forward to seeing you there and all the other forumites

Commercial Operator

And, we're looking forward to welcoming your Group at Southport Lynn as, indeed, we are all the Forumites who will be there. Bardsey [the lovely Jill, who is currently recovering from an operation - GET WELL SOON JILL] has been in contact with me to arrange a reception for Forumites on the Friday evening. She'll post the details of where/when a little closer to the event.

One thing we do know, the weekend is gonna be fun, with hundreds and hundreds of dancers decending upon Southport from all corners of the UK. It's gonna be one big phat paaaaaaaaaaaaaarty weekend and, not forgetting, an opportunity to learn some new moves from a superb line-up of teachers providing over 40 hours of dance workshops. Added to which is the freestyles until at "least" 4am, although Trampy reckons he's gonna party until at "least" 6am?

On Saturday, the ladies especially will have the opportunity to Glam-Up for the Gladrag Ball which will feature cabaret with Scotland's Scintillating Sinners, Clayton Tubbs & Janine Myers and Graham LeClerc & Sarah. More details will follow soon.

So dancers, a great weekender beckons!

Originally posted by Bardsey
    Of course Jon. Just keep in touch as I'm hoping to arrange a forumite meeting at some stage over the weekend. Would be a shame for so many forumites to be there and not meet up.
    Forumite meeting? Why not....count me in!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Bill
    looking forward to seeing you there and all the other forumites
    Im very sorry to inform you that I also will be there

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I take it you cleared this with Lily first, she'll need to know where to find you for yon neck dip practices!

You win some, you lose some !!!!

Only joking, please, please save a dance for me, I didn't catch you for one at BB (did I?)

B.T.C.

well at least you'll have the lovely Mrs DS with you so that will more than compensate for the presence of a small blue individual

Thread Information