Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport Weekender 14-17 May 2004

Re: Southport Jive Weekender

Originally posted by johnah

Hi Jill,

Delighted to read your posting and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends to Southport for the Jive Extravadanca! By the way do you know George and Ali from Conisbrough?

John AH
    Yes, as it happens I do! I met them a few weeks ago and I dance with George a fair bit (sometimes Ali too, cos she's quite good taking the man's part). What a small world! I know they are going to Southport, aren't they?

Jill

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekender

Originally posted by Bardsey
    Yes, as it happens I do! I met them a few weeks ago and I dance with George a fair bit (sometimes Ali too, cos she's quite good taking the man's part). What a small world! I know they are going to Southport, aren't they?

Jill
    Sure is a small world when it comes to MJ. Met up again with George and Ali [lovely couple] last night at Ceroc in Nottingham and, YES, they're going to Southport!

John AH

Re: Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekender

Sure is a small world when it comes to MJ. Met up again with George and Ali [lovely couple] last night at Ceroc in Nottingham and, YES, they're going to Southport!

John AH
    Yes they are lovely and George and I dance "sleaze" really well together, much to the amusement of Ali, I think!

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekender

Yes they are lovely and George and I dance "sleaze" really well together, much to the amusement of Ali, I think!
    If I can get up to one of the Sheffield/Yorkshire venues before the Southport event, I'll ask George to introduce us to each other.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekender

If I can get up to one of the Sheffield/Yorkshire venues before the Southport event, I'll ask George to introduce us to each other.
    Yes that would be great John. I'm going to Stockport on 24th this month, if that's any good. Also to the DT workshop and dance at Newcastle on 7th Feb.

Jill

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekender

Yes that would be great John. I'm going to Stockport on 24th this month, if that's any good. Also to the DT workshop and dance at Newcastle on 7th Feb.

Jill
    Noted Jill, look forward to a dance before too long!

John AH

B.T.C.

Re: Southport Weekender 14-17 May

[i]To enlighten you the line-up of "Top Teachers" now includes:

Steve Lampart

As to the DJs, the line-up includes:

Steve Lampart;

A further update will be posted shortly. But it is one event in the Jive calendar you don't want to miss!!!

[/B]

And I was thinking of going.............................

The Forum Legend

Re: Re: Southport Weekender 14-17 May

Originally posted by Bill
    And I was thinking of going.............................
    Yeah, yeah Bill. You're funny!!

Just for that, tonight I'm not going to play a single track less than 160bpm

(And 180bpm for the demos if you're demonstrating!!)

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Southport Weekender 14-17 May

Originally posted by TheTramp

Steve
    Bill, Trampy. You're both going? Brilliant! I'll look forward to soem good dances - put me down on your dance cards this instant! Bill - save a Blues one for me please, I'm going to a Blues workshop on 14 Feb I think, so should be a bit more well versed for a rematch

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Re: Southport Weekender 14-17 May

Originally posted by TheTramp

Just for that, tonight I'm not going to play a single track less than 160bpm

(And 180bpm for the demos if you're demonstrating!!)

Steve

Sorry................can't make it tonight so can't demonstrate my wonderful high speed jive technique............... usually called sitting down and watching Mind you I did manage a couple of Jive Aces' tracks but that almost made me break sweat so I stopped.

Have fun tonight Steve.

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Southport Weekender 14-17 May

Bill - save a Blues one for me please, I'm going to a Blues workshop on 14 Feb I think, so should be a bit more well versed for a rematch

If i get there I certainly will Would love to get down to Chiswick later this month as well for a 'blues' top up but gets a bit costly from here but I had fun there last year.

See you soon for a dance.

Commercial Operator

Re: Southport Weekender 14-17 May

Grateful thanks to Neil for starting this thread, which has aroused some interest I see. To enlighten you the line-up of "Top Teachers" now includes:

Nigel Anderson & Nina Daines; Amir & Kate; Viktor Andeke;
    Graham LeClerc & Sarah, Peter Phillips; Mikey; Steve Lampart; Robin & Raven
    David Martin & Jaime; Sue Freeman; Jatinder Singh

As to the DJs, the line-up includes:

Peter Phillips; Nigel Anderson; Nigel Walen; Steve Lampart; Wes Stala

In addition to the nightly freestyles until 4am, there will now be over 40 hours of dance workshops at the North's FIRST major Jive Weekender. It will be a superb weekend and for our dance friends in Scotland, a much much easier journey to make.

A further update will be posted shortly. But it is one event in the Jive calendar you don't want to miss!!!

Feel free to send any flyers etc so i can put them out at Stompin' in Brighton 2004 in March 27/28th to

Phil Duckett
    12 Northcourt rd
    Wothing
    West Sussex
    BN14 7DR

Keep on Stompin' and good luck

Re: Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

... Wes speaks very highly of you - as does Neil -and we're delighted you are joining us at Southport for the Weekend Jive Extravadanca! Think you'll agree, the line-up is pretty impressive and, if I'm not mistaken, this is the very first time such a high quality line-up has been brought together in the North and, discussions continue apace to add to it. More news on that front asap.

The word about Southport is rapidly circulating amongst the MJ grapevine, and response is very very positive! For us it's a matter of Northern Pride and any publicity our friends in Scotland can give towards encouraging Scottish dancers to make the trip would be welcome. Anyone willing to distribute leaflets for us?

John Armstrong-Holmes
    Jive Addiction
    Hey, this looks good! I'm definitely interested ...

John, I'll get some leaflets distributed for you, if you like (though not at Ceroc venues). We'll be at Nottingham on 22nd Jan, if you can get some leaflets to me there?

Do we know each other? Neil, knows me, anyway, and can point me out.

BTW - are you allowed Ceroc teachers in your line up for the weekend? I can recommend one, if you're looking!

Rachel

Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

Originally posted by Rachel
    You must know John, if only to dance with. John's wife, the lovely Marianne, speaks very highly of Marc!

BTW - are you allowed Ceroc teachers in your line up for the weekend? I can recommend one, if you're looking!
    If Marc's banned from Southport, feel free to leave him at home. I'll look after you, Rachel

Note to Wes and John: if Marc's not banned, snap him up!!

Neil

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

Originally posted by Rachel
    Hey, this looks good! I'm definitely interested ...

Hi Rachel, yes we do. We've danced together a few times in Nottingham and at Camber, but I missed out at Bognor this past weekend - well, Viktor is a much better option! We did speak briefly though before Wes whisked you off for a dance.

Of course, we know Marc's teaching talents and we're of the opinion he's one of the "Top" young teaching talents in the Country but, sadly, believe he's restricted to Ceroc venues [?]. We certainly would have liked to include Marc & Rachel in our line-up. Look forward to a dance on 22 Jan.

Re: Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

Hi Rachel, yes we do. We've danced together a few times in Nottingham and at Camber, but I missed out at Bognor this past weekend - well, Viktor is a much better option! We did speak briefly though before Wes whisked you off for a dance.

Of course, we know Marc's teaching talents and we're of the opinion he's one of the "Top" young teaching talents in the Country but, sadly, believe he's restricted to Ceroc venues [?]. We certainly would have liked to include Marc & Rachel in our line-up. Look forward to a dance on 22 Jan.
    I assume this is a Ceroc restriction only, so really it is up to Marc.

I know Adriana (my demoer) LOVED dancing with Marc at Camber in May

Ceroc make many "restrictions" unless you have the character to break them (as Mike Ellard did for years in teaching "his style" and not the perscribed moves), I guess it depends who you are, or what you are prepared to stand up for.

We see it all the time in Australia, "you cannot do this" - means nothing if you are valued and decide to do it anyway.

Personally it would be great to meet up with both Marc and Rachel at this event.

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martin

Personally it would be great to meet up with both Marc and Rachel at this event.

Sure you will Martin, they're really lovely people and, don't miss the opportunity to dance with Rachel - she's very talented! Marc is too, and his lessons are a joy compared to some I've experienced. Only this morning, I was talking to a friend who has only recently become an addict [a beginner of just 6 weeks] and he made particular reference to Marc and how he [and his partner] much preferred his lessons.

Had seen this thread but didn’t realise that this might be an easy venue for me to travel across from Belfast to (thanks Liz for pointing that out ). It sounds great and I’m also going to mention it to our MJ class here so hopefully there will be a few of us coming over. Just a quick practical question re travel from Liverpool to Southport – train/bus routes (time, fare?) and road journey times?

Looks like its going to be a great event! Looking forward to meeting some forum folk!

Lynn

Originally posted by Lynn
    It sounds great and I’m also going to mention it to our MJ class here so hopefully there will be a few of us coming over.
    Good news, Lynn! I'll look forward to meeting you and your friends. Southport just keeps getting better and better

Can't really help you with your practical question, but Southport is just up the road from the 'Pool, so it should be easy enough to get to. These sites may be useful:

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/
    http://www.visitsouthport.com/info/travel.htm

Neil

Originally posted by Neil
    Good news, Lynn! I'll look forward to meeting you and your friends. Southport just keeps getting better and better

Can't really help you with your practical question, but Southport is just up the road from the 'Pool, so it should be easy enough to get to.

Neil
    Thanks Neil. Had a look at a map earlier and saw how close it was to Liverpool, and Liverpool is easy to get to from Belfast so there is no reason not to go! I'm really looking foward to it and will hopefully bring some other Northern Irish folk along with me. We have no MJ 'events' here yet as things are only getting started, and due to venue and time restrictions, we are only able to have a short freestyle after the class, so all those workshops and late night freestyles...

Lynn

Thread Information