> > ...a non-stop weekend Jive party!
    > >
    > > Over 1,000 dancers
    > > 3 dance floors [one exclusively for Swing & Blues]
    > > Freestyle dancing until 4am
    > > Top DJs
    > >
    > > Expert Tuition - Top Class Teachers
    > > Over 30 hours of dance workshops [from basics through to advanced], with
    > > complementary lessons in Swing, Salsa, Tango, Cha Cha Cha etc.,
    > > plus Drops & Seducers.
    > >
    > > Contact details:
    > > southport@jiveaddiction.com
    > > www.jiveaddiction.com

You heard it here first!

Neil

The Forum Legend
    Interesting.

Had a look at the website. Doesn't really answer any of the questions I've got.

Like: Who exactly is running it? I know who Wes is. John? Is that John Sweeney?

Who are the 'top teachers'?

Who are the 'top dj's'?

That'll do for a start

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp

Who are the 'top teachers'?

Who are the 'top dj's'?
    {ODA Mode On}

Hmm ... got to admit that I'm starting to get a bit nervous about this over-used phrase of Top DJs and Top Teachers. Seen this phrase time and time again ... and then been dissapointed ... especially as to the DJ bit.

If the DJs turn out to be the likes of John Brett or any of the top NWest DJs .. then great ... but as the site doesn't actualy mention who is going to be there ... yet expects you to stump up cash in advance .......

{ODA Mode Off}

Having said that ... I know that Wes has had a number of good teachers up to do workshops ... so at least on that score there is hope

The Forum Legend
    Agree with you Gus....

Camber now doesn't have to advertise who's teaching. It's so well established that it can get away with it.

Any new dance weekends starting up really needs to I think. 'Stompin the Blues' lists exactly who is teaching and DJing, and that's the reason why people book on it.

Steve

Any new dance weekends starting up really needs to I think
    Steve, I agree with you and Gus that it would look better if they actually had some 'top' names on the website, but to be fair to them I think that's what they're planning to do when they've finalised who's going to be there.

I've no connection with JiveAddiction, but I know the two guys involved and can confirm that they're kosher. Wes is well known in the world of MJ; John is not John Sweeney, but a guy called John Armstrong-Holmes. He's pretty new to MJ, but he's a go-getting, dynamic businessman type, so I'm confident that, with his organisational skills and Wes's contacts, they'll get this thing off the ground. Incidentally, John used to play for Notts County, if that's any recommendation...

Would, of course, be nice if one of the 'top DJs' was our very own Forum Legend .

Neil

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Neil
    Steve, I agree with you and Gus that it would look better if they actually had some 'top' names on the website, but to be fair to them I think that's what they're planning to do when they've finalised who's going to be there.

Would, of course, be nice if one of the 'top DJs' was our very own Forum Legend .
    Well.... it's not that far away now (in relative terms - people book for Camber a year in advance). They really need to get a bit of a move on - I'm sure that people will be able to book right up to the last moment, but also people only have a limited amount of time/money, and if they've already booked for Camber etc. might not have the resources to do another one.

I doubt I'll be invited. Wes knows who I am. But probably has no idea that I DJ or teach.

Steve

NWest Events

Well.... it's not that far away now (in relative terms - people book for Camber a year in advance). They really need to get a bit of a move on - I'm sure that people will be able to book right up to the last moment, but also people only have a limited amount of time/money, and if they've already booked for Camber etc. might not have the resources to do another one.
    True ... and the fact that there is already a North West event coming up (November?) with a CONFIMED list of top DJs and teachers ... Nigel and Nina, Roger C, Amir, Viktor etc .... that may well make things a bit awkward for this event. As you say .. people have only so many pennies and if there is something confirmed versus something a bit vague I know who my bet is going to be with!

The Forum Legend

Re: NWest Events

Originally posted by Gus
    True ... and the fact that there is already a North West event coming up (November?) with a CONFIMED list of top DJs and teachers ... Nigel and Nina, Roger C, Amir, Viktor etc .... that may well make things a bit awkward for this event. As you say .. people have only so many pennies and if there is something confirmed versus something a bit vague I know who my bet is going to be with!
    Ummm.

What other North West event? Is this something that needs more publicising? Do I need to get my head out of the sand?

Steve

Re: Re: NWest Events

Ummm.

What other North West event? Is this something that needs more publicising?
    Oh Ay ... Blitz have got some big event coming up ... but if they want to publicise it ... they can do it themselves .... I'm just here to have fun

Wes knows who I am. But probably has no idea that I DJ or teach.
    Well, if he doesn't already know, he will find out tonight when I tell him (Wes's Christmas dance, Polish Club, Sherwood Rise, Nottingham)

I agree with your general point that they need to get a move on in terms of finalising the list of DJs and teachers.

Neil

Re: NWest Events

Originally posted by Gus
    and me

Got my invite to teach/DJ at this event, so I will be there (think Mikey is on the teacher line up as well)
    Peter

Commercial Operator

Southport Weekender 14-17 May

Grateful thanks to Neil for starting this thread, which has aroused some interest I see. To enlighten you the line-up of "Top Teachers" now includes:

Nigel Anderson & Nina Daines; Amir & Kate; Viktor Andeke;
    Graham LeClerc & Sarah, Peter Phillips; Mikey; Steve Lampart; Robin & Raven
    David Martin & Jaime; Sue Freeman; Jatinder Singh

As to the DJs, the line-up includes:

Peter Phillips; Nigel Anderson; Nigel Walen; Steve Lampart; Wes Stala

In addition to the nightly freestyles until 4am, there will now be over 40 hours of dance workshops at the North's FIRST major Jive Weekender. It will be a superb weekend and for our dance friends in Scotland, a much much easier journey to make.

A further update will be posted shortly. But it is one event in the Jive calendar you don't want to miss!!!

The Forum Legend
    Umm. Not to be pedantic. But it's Steve LampErt

And yes, I know that Phil Duckett can't spell it either!!

Steve

Hi John,

Welcome to the Forum! We need a few more Notts people on here...

That's a pretty impressive line-up of teachers and DJs you've got there already, and I know you're planning to add some more names. Delighted to see that the Forum Legend is included (wouldn't be the same without him!).

I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic weekend. What we need to do now is ensure that as many Scots as possible make the trip down. They're used to going to Blackpool, so they know the way

Neil

Commercial Operator

Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

Sincere apologies Steve. I'll ensure the "spelling" is correct in future.

Wes speaks very highly of you - as does Neil -and we're delighted you are joining us at Southport for the Weekend Jive Extravadanca! Think you'll agree, the line-up is pretty impressive and, if I'm not mistaken, this is the very first time such a high quality line-up has been brought together in the North and, discussions continue apace to add to it. More news on that front asap.

The word about Southport is rapidly circulating amongst the MJ grapevine, and response is very very positive! For us it's a matter of Northern Pride and any publicity our friends in Scotland can give towards encouraging Scottish dancers to make the trip would be welcome. Anyone willing to distribute leaflets for us?

John Armstrong-Holmes
    Jive Addiction

Re: Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

Originally posted by johnah
    The word about Southport is rapidly circulating amongst the MJ grapevine, and response is very very positive! For us it's a matter of Northern Pride and any publicity our friends in Scotland can give towards encouraging Scottish dancers to make the trip would be welcome. Anyone willing to distribute leaflets for us?

John Armstrong-Holmes
    Jive Addiction
    Not sure anyone will be interested really, but I'm going to this and organising the folks from my area (Leeds/Wetherby) At the moment we have about 3 chalet's full I think. I'm really looking forward to it, so if any of my particular mates on the forum are going, can you let me know, then we can arrange to meet up!

Jill

The Forum Legend

Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

Originally posted by Bardsey
    Not sure anyone will be interested really, but I'm going to this and organising the folks from my area (Leeds/Wetherby) At the moment we have about 3 chalet's full I think. I'm really looking forward to it, so if any of my particular mates on the forum are going, can you let me know, then we can arrange to meet up!
    Well. I'm interested Look forward to seeing you there Jill!

You'll have to start a forum corner!

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Southport Jive Weekend - Teachers/DJs

Well. I'm interested Look forward to seeing you there Jill!

You'll have to start a forum corner!

Steve
    We will have to take our 'Ster T shirts with us and have a get together. when I get mine, that is...... ARE YOU LISTENING MR MCGREGOR?????? Where's my shirt then??

Commercial Operator

Southport Jive Weekender

Hi Jill,

Delighted to read your posting and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends to Southport for the Jive Extravadanca! By the way do you know George and Ali from Conisbrough?

John AH

Thread Information