Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ceroc Champs May 2011

Re: Ceroc Champs

Quote Originally Posted by marcusj View Post
    Maybe it was different bunch and maybe they did sharpen up by Sunday, but "not a massive amount of great dancing" is a bit of an understatement, saw first moves, saw baskets, saw pretzels, rarely in time with each other and a noticable bounce on every beat.

Re the Troxy crowd, not that I'm a fan of the dreaded X Factor, but often the worst acts get the biggest audience reaction !
    Maybe you aren't intending to be rude, or maybe it is just the nature of web forums, but if you watch the Sunday video back I would hope you would reconsider. The beginning was out of time on Friday because the DJ started the track at the wrong point however. Defintely wasn't our best performance, but pre performance rehearsals rarely are.

NB: Modern Jive isn't *meant* to have a noticeable bounce on each beat (unless you are talking about beginners ceroc classes).

Can see your point about not realising you'd be interupted, but it was advertised in the fortnightly email, and we were only on for c 10 minutes.
    Last edited by IanManning; 6th-May-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added "on friday" to the beginnig out of time bit

Re: Ceroc Champs May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I
    I believe that in Adv/Open a proportion of the marks are awarded for competitor's outfits and those Latin style outfits seem de rigeur for the ladies.
    THe judges award points for "dress and presentation"

Quote Originally Posted by IanManning View Post
    Maybe you aren't intending to be rude, or maybe it is just the nature of web forums, but if you watch the Sunday video back I would hope you would reconsider. The beginning was out of time on Friday because the DJ started the track at the wrong point however. Defintely wasn't our best performance, but pre performance rehearsals rarely are.

NB: Modern Jive isn't *meant* to have a noticeable bounce on each beat (unless you are talking about beginners ceroc classes).

Can see your point about not realising you'd be interupted, but it was advertised in the fortnightly email, and we were only on for c 10 minutes.
    Hi Ian, no I wasn’t intending to be rude, and yes to a degree, unfortunately, it is sometimes the nature of web forums, I did make an earlier comment which someone replied to which prompted me to write that, he responded again, and I being aware that real people with feelings participated in it, and not wanting to be rude, you might think a bit late for that sentiment, replied to him the last time privately.

I hear you that pre performance rehearsals aren’t always great. It would be churlish of me not to watch the You Tube clip which I have just done.

I am no great dancer, just someone who enjoys it, and I know dancing is about participation, but I can’t help feeling still that it looks like something from a 3 or 4 hour preparation time performance class from a weekender with some of the dancers clumping around. I am not saying this to be rude, I was just a bit surprised that what I saw on Friday was taken to the national Ceroc competition.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanManning View Post
    Maybe you aren't intending to be rude, or maybe it is just the nature of web forums,
    One of the biggest things I value about web forums, is when people give their 'honest opinion'

I believe when people compete, they give themselves up to scrutiny... from 'everyone', not just the judges.
    Everyone watching, is entitled to their opinion, even if it comes across as blunt or rude.

Personally, as most people who know me already know, I hate competitions. I just don't get it Almost everything I value most about social dancing gets thrown out the window

BUT, I do believe, if you put yourself up there, you have to take whatever's said about you, your dancing, choreography, dress choice, musicality, connection, timing and general performance etc. on the chin
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

Everyone watching, is entitled to their opinion, even if it comes across as blunt or rude.
    No, I agree and didn't say that he wasn't entitled to his opinion - indeed I'm actively seeking feedback as I'm trying to understand the minds of the judges visa vie interpreting the stated rules. I don't think there is ever justification for being rude though, however, it is clear he wasn't intending to do that.

At the Ceroc champs you have, collected together, some of the best Modern Jive dancers in the world. many have travelled a long way at great expense. Every performance watched comes at the expense of a lost opportunity to dance freestyle with some of those attendees.

Obviously the competition is central to the day, and it is important that novice competitors get a chance to acclimatise to competition. Unfortunately that means that they also have to acclimatise to criticism, and even unfair criticism spurred on by "I'm watching this when I could have been dancing with ...".

There have been some really great team performances at the champs. I loved the dress rehearsal for the sheer joy and achievement of it, but I hoped it would not be sandwiched between two really great displays on the day.

Like Lory I worry that over-competition might damage the social nature of the dance, as I suspect it did to ballroom dancing. I put the dress rehearsal on youtube because, to me, it represented people having fun, working together to achieve something worthwhile, and sharing the results, and giving the dancers something to share with their friends. It might also have enticed a few Dr. Who fans into Ceroc. Well done to all, but I think some of the criticism is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    : .......... I believe when people compete, they give themselves up to scrutiny... from 'everyone', not just the judges.

- snip -

BUT, I do believe, if you put yourself up there, you have to take whatever's said about you, your dancing, choreography, dress choice, musicality, connection, timing and general performance etc. on the chin

Thread Information