Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which netbook

Re: Which netbook

I'd second the advice to get a similarly priced laptop rather than netbook unless you really need the longer battery life. I bought a Samsung netbook last Xmas and it's a great little gadget but I use it less and less since the screen just seems too small to be comfortable for extended use.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    I've been meaning to try UBUNTU for a while. Should I just buy a laptop, load the latest flavour and hope it will work, or try and research which machines work best? I've heard Eeeeeeepcs are quite Linux friendly.
    the asus eee netbook works with the special netbook edition of ubuntu - but they have awful keyboards. The desktop ubuntu will work with most PC specs you throw at it, i've not had any issues yet but others have (but then windows vista and 7 are in exactly the same boat here). Yes I would check out the laptop first to see if there any any issues, but there probably won't be, and you can boot ubuntu from cd to try it without installing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    the asus eee netbook works with the special netbook edition of ubuntu - but they have awful keyboards. The desktop ubuntu will work with most PC specs you throw at it, i've not had any issues yet but others have (but then windows vista and 7 are in exactly the same boat here). Yes I would check out the laptop first to see if there any any issues, but there probably won't be, and you can boot ubuntu from cd to try it without installing anything.
    How's Ubuntu with wireless networking these days? When I last tried it this was the showstopper for me - you needed to know things like the chipset for the wireless card (great, let's open up the machine and look for identifying marks on the ICs) and then some fairly arcane magic with WPA-supplicant.

(Of course, getting this to work when you have no internet access to search pages on google is particularly unfun).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    How's Ubuntu with wireless networking these days? When I last tried it this was the showstopper for me - you needed to know things like the chipset for the wireless card (great, let's open up the machine and look for identifying marks on the ICs) and then some fairly arcane magic with WPA-supplicant.

(Of course, getting this to work when you have no internet access to search pages on google is particularly unfun).
    fine now. Last 2 inbuilt wirleess cards and 3 external usb dongles have worked first time - so i think they are pretty much there - This makes it far better that windows, as the last 2 times i added usb dongles in vista they were ignored. Xp always did ignore external devices until you found drivers and Win 7 i have yet to try with anything wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I'd second the advice to get a similarly priced laptop rather than netbook unless you really need the longer battery life. I bought a Samsung netbook last Xmas and it's a great little gadget but I use it less and less since the screen just seems too small to be comfortable for extended use.
    I also find (1024 * 768 - 10 inch screen) netbooks too small for extended use, but going just one level larger to a 11.6 inch screen netbook or ULV notebook (1366*768 widescreen) makes a huge difference.

Typically with a cheap 15 inch screen you wouldn't get much higher resolution, and the weight increase is relatively small.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I bought a Samsung netbook last Xmas
    You might want to scan it for key-logging software...
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011...rspy-software/
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    I also find (1024 * 768 - 10 inch screen) netbooks too small for extended use, but going just one level larger to a 11.6 inch screen netbook or ULV notebook (1366*768 widescreen) makes a huge difference.

Typically with a cheap 15 inch screen you wouldn't get much higher resolution, and the weight increase is relatively small.
    Or spend stupid money for a 13" laptop with 1920x1080:
    http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vnp-z-series/vpcz13z9e-x

I lust..

(incidentally the Samsung keylogger story was a false positive)

Thread Information