Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demo-ing

Demo-ing

OK..So this may or may not go down like a lead balloon .. but it has been niggling me for a while now.. so here goes....

I have been dancing for 5 years now and have enjoyed 99% of my time dancing. I have been lucky enough to have been asked to taxi at both my local venues and also for Ceroc and have occasionally demo'd. I still currently demo at my local venue. However.. I am interested in the forumites ideas on what you think makes a good demo..

The reason I ask is that I have (more than once and by more than one MJ company) been passed over and immediately disregarded as "potential demo material" ... I know my dancing isn't amazing by any means but I do believe I am a good dancer and would be okay to demo (where I demo now the teachers don't have any complaints and I am regularly asked back to demo for them).

Just wondering about your thoughts on demo-ing and demonstrators in general and what you think makes "good potential demo material"

Thank you all...

xx

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Demo-ing

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    The reason I ask is that I have (more than once and by more than one MJ company) been passed over and immediately disregarded as "potential demo material" :
    xx
    What do you mean passed over? Do you have to apply to HQ to demo nowadays? When I used to demo for Paul Harris it was purely cos he asked me to, there was no 'applying' to any management etc.
    In my case, being a good demo was not walking off stage when he 'let one go' which was quite often! :lol

When I first started Ceroc there weren't many teachers, ergo not many demos. But as punters improved teachers would regularly pick demos from the class.

Everyone enjoyed this I think and it emphasised the fact that anyone can do it with the right lead.

There was a girl I wanted to get promoted to taxi but she was adamant that she was not good enough. I asked the teacher to use her as his demo and she became a taxi the following week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    What do you mean passed over? Do you have to apply to HQ to demo nowadays? When I used to demo for Paul Harris it was purely cos he asked me to, there was no 'applying' to any management etc.
    In my case, being a good demo was not walking off stage when he 'let one go' which was quite often! :lol
    I mean when I have been asked to demo by the teacher the franchisee / owner of the MJ company was like "er.. well can't so and so do it instead"... with the reason simply being that I just "wasn't demo material" in their eyes.. yet at the same time all franchisees / MJ companies involved were quite happy and wanted me to taxi...

Hence this thread.. niggles like this eat away at you....

x

I mean when I have been asked to demo by the teacher the franchisee / owner of the MJ company was like "er.. well can't so and so do it instead"... with the reason simply being that I just "wasn't demo material" in their eyes.. yet at the same time all franchisees / MJ companies involved were quite happy and wanted me to taxi...

Hence this thread.. niggles like this eat away at you....

x
    Caz
    Take it as a compliment that the Teacher has asked you, they are the ones that are up on the stage teaching and leading.

Forget about the Franchise / owner.

Just go out and enjoy your dancing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Caz
    Take it as a compliment that the Teacher has asked you, they are the ones that are up on the stage teaching and leading.

Forget about the Franchise / owner.

Just go out and enjoy your dancing

I'd say that the worst demo's I've seen are the ones that are using their "stage time" to do as much styling as they can and make themselves look as good as possible.
    Particularly in a beginners lesson, we don't want to see how amazing you are and how you can do it differently, we want to be able to see how to do it properly. (not you Caz, of course )

It's the teachers who pick the demos, not the franchise/owners. Whether you get asked to demo is simply if a particular teacher feels that they can teach well with you and also ultimately just luck of the draw, I guess. In the case of guys it's also very necessary to be able to pick up new moves exceedingly quickly. I demo for one of my local venues and I get all of 10 mins to learn an entire intermediate routine and then have to be able to run through the whole routine. Fun, if hectic!

I agree with the views that demoing is not the place to be showing off your style. When doing a run-through of the routine to music, my style tends to come out a little but I concentrate hard so I don't let it overtake me - you're there to show people what each step of the move looks like, and for that they need to see your actions very clearly on stage.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think a good demo has to be able to execute the moves 'clearly and cleanly'

They should have a 'naturally' pleasing style but not to force 'styling points' unless asked to show a 'variation' on the basic, as a ladies 'option'

I think they should have a friendly/smiley disposition

And I think they should laugh at the teachers jokes, even if she's heard them a hundred times

I think she should also be prepared to dance with beginners all night, if they ask him/her and she will be a person they will feel familier with.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK..So this may or may not go down like a lead balloon .. but it has been niggling me for a while now.. so here goes....
    Oooh, we like controversy here, we do

I have been dancing for 5 years now and have enjoyed 99% of my time dancing. I have been lucky enough to have been asked to taxi at both my local venues and also for Ceroc and have occasionally demo'd. I still currently demo at my local venue. However.. I am interested in the forumites ideas on what you think makes a good demo..
    It's an interesting question. Personally, I always thought of demo-ing as being a chore, rather than a glamourous activity. I actively resisted it whenever asked and only agreed to do it when everyone else couldn't make it. So possibly I'm not someone who should demo

(And, I've only realised, I've always assumed most of my own demo partners felt the same way - that it was a chore. It's only recently I've twigged that most of them want to demo... )

The reason I ask is that I have (more than once and by more than one MJ company) been passed over and immediately disregarded as "potential demo material"
    Well, it can't be based on looks, otherwise I'd never have been asked.

I'm not sure what you mean by "passed over and immediately disregarded"? I thought that the demo choice was up to the teacher rather than the organisation?

... I know my dancing isn't amazing by any means but I do believe I am a good dancer and would be okay to demo (where I demo now the teachers don't have any complaints and I am regularly asked back to demo for them).
    Well, it may simply be a matter of teacher preference, based on chemistry or other factors. Dance ability is not as irrelevant to a lot of these decisions - well, in MJ at least.

Just wondering about your thoughts on demo-ing and demonstrators in general and what you think makes "good potential demo material"
    The demo I work best with, is someone who I can almost treat as an adjunct to my own body; she'll do the movement I've just been describing, and even the movements I'm not describing but am leading, without me needing to worry about whether she'll do it.

So she literally demonstrates a concept when I describe it. Within Tango, that's a vital skill. Within MJ, however, there may be different criteria.

Or, it may simply be personal preference.

Blog Entries

Ah, just spotted this:
    That seems very weird. I'm not sure what business it is of the franchisee; they're not in a position to judge, surely it's up to the teacher?

The only vaguely rational hypothetical reason I can imagine for this, is if the franchisee has received complaints from customers, which might make them overrule the teacher's preference. God knows, MJ customers whinge about the stupidest things some times, but they are the customers.

Otherwise, it could simply be irrational - the franchise owner doesn't like you.

If it really worries you, ask the franchise owner directly.

Don't take this as an insult Caz, but it could be that certain franchisees are trying to have the prettiest girl in the room on stage as an incentive to attract more men. Or because they want to put her through as a potential auditionee for teacher training, so want her to have some experience on stage. Controversial as it may be, I've yet to see an unattractive female Ceroc teacher. Although I can't say the same about all the male ones.

Blog Entries

Don't take this as an insult Caz, but it could be that certain franchisees are trying to have the prettiest girl in the room on stage as an incentive to attract more men.
    Yes, marketing basically.

Simple solution - show some cleavage.

Controversial as it may be, I've yet to see an unattractive female Ceroc teacher.
    But what about... errr, hmmm, I think I'd better not try to think of examples on this one.

Although I can't say the same about all the male ones.
    Absolutely. I mean, you only have to look at... errm, another area where discretion is best I reckon.

Although, generally, the Ceroc teachers do seem to be getting younger. Must be the equivalent of policemen; you know you're getting old when the Ceroc teachers start looking like kids.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    How do you think I became a demo

But what about... errr, hmmm, I think I'd better not try to think of examples on this one.

Absolutely. I mean, you only have to look at... errm, another area where discretion is best I reckon.
    Oh go on, I dare you...

Although, generally, the Ceroc teachers do seem to be getting younger. Must be the equivalent of policemen; you know you're getting old when the Ceroc teachers start looking like kids.
    I know!!

Blog Entries

Oh go on, I dare you...
    Glass houses, I'm afraid

IMHO, then, a demo should:

*Be a good dancer. Ideally should be able to lead and follow well, and must be able to pick up moves quickly from either side.
    *Smile on stage and turn up looking smart or at least not like they've been dragged through a hedge backwards.
    *Not talk on stage unless making a quick comment to the teacher about something - I've seen demos try to organise the rotation, explain moves, start/stop the music and so on without being asked, which is not what they're there for.
    *Probably be a taxi dancer, since they will hopefully be a good dancer already, and people will recognise them as such.
    *Be happy demoing. Nothing worse than being put up on stage in front of people and not being comfortable with what you're doing.

FWIW, Caz, if I was teaching I'd have no problems at all with you demoing for me

Good teachers are often intentionally entertaining. A good demo may become part of a comedy double act. And their part may be the sidekick.

"we wouldn't want to do it like this".
    The teacher says twisting the demo's arm up behind her back.
    "that would really, really hurt", he smiles at her painstriken countenance.

But my favouraite teacher demo realtionship is the one where they really hate each other. This provides hours of dramtic entertainment for the punters, even if it is painful to watch.

Don't take this as an insult Caz, but it could be that certain franchisees are trying to have the prettiest girl in the room on stage as an incentive to attract more men. Or because they want to put her through as a potential auditionee for teacher training, so want her to have some experience on stage. Controversial as it may be, I've yet to see an unattractive female Ceroc teacher. Although I can't say the same about all the male ones.
    Definitely agree Cruella with that one...

Yes, marketing basically.

Very true .. I know the feeling with both the cleavage thing - just had a new girl start at my local MJ venue and she had only been dancing about 2 weeks before they had her on stage (and she isn't small if you know what I mean )

Also agree about the policemen / ceroc thing! Its same where I work.. I swear the doctors are getting younger

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    IMHO, then, a demo should:

*Be a good dancer. Ideally should be able to lead and follow well, and must be able to pick up moves quickly from either side.
    *Smile on stage and turn up looking smart or at least not like they've been dragged through a hedge backwards.
    *Not talk on stage unless making a quick comment to the teacher about something - I've seen demos try to organise the rotation, explain moves, start/stop the music and so on without being asked, which is not what they're there for.
    *Probably be a taxi dancer, since they will hopefully be a good dancer already, and people will recognise them as such.
    *Be happy demoing. Nothing worse than being put up on stage in front of people and not being comfortable with what you're doing.

FWIW, Caz, if I was teaching I'd have no problems at all with you demoing for me
    Thank you Rob and thanks for that re a "happy demo".. I have seen a couple who basically scowl on stage! Maybe its cos they are nervous / shy but come on.. it doesn't make you wanna do it and join in...

Feeling better tho now guys.. thank you for reading!

xx

Blog Entries

Caz - it sounds to me that somebody is blaming it on somebody else because they dont want to tell you the truth and whatever that may be.

Maybe you dont fit the mould of young and glamarous but who does these days.....but i'll tell you one thing I have not seen legs like yours in a long time and you got an ass to die for so feck the lot of em.

Oh and your a fantastic dancer xxx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    i'll tell you one thing I have not seen legs like yours in a long time and you got an ass to die for
    I think we need photographic proof.

I think we need photographic proof.

Thread Information