Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camber Storm 2011 Aftermath

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Camber Storm 2011 Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Excluding masterclasses, beginner classes, non dance classes and classes at anti-social times all of which aren't subtitutes halves that.
    Well, blimey, excluding all classes which don't have a "e" in their names excludes a lot also, if you're going to start imposing random arbitrary criteria.

Also, what non-dance classes? All the classes were dance classes.

I mean, I can understand excluding repeated classes, of which there were about 10 or so, so you can certainly say there were "only" 44 "different" classes on offer. But I dunno why you're cutting out the others.

(Actually, I've just noticed, I hadn't included the Tango recap class in the 54, so that's 55 classes in total.)

But lacking not so much in number but in variety/depth/type. But if you'd cut the number it isn't likely that the range would improve.
    Yes, I admit I was hoping for a bit more variety. There were no WCS classes, there were only 2 AT classes, and it seemed like there were too many "flashy new moves in Ceroc" type of classes. It would have been nice to see some (say) cha-cha instead of "Latin Style" for example.

But, I guess, it's a Ceroc weekender, so they promote Ceroc stuff. And I'm sure Rocky would say that what we (on the forum) want is not what most people want.

Plus, I didn't get to try Ceramba

Zumba as you said is more exercise (on your learningtango site). It might be said to be in the same category as pilates.
    OK, fair enough, pilates is not a dance class - Zumba, well, 50-50, depends who you ask.

And that's "Wonderful learningtango site" I'm sure you meant to say

Dance psychology. A very good and novel idea from Ceroc - a remnant from their early weekenders.
    Yes, I personally would love to see more of this type of class.

Marc and Rachel do their one tango class (Being tango for beginners - doesn't repeat as well as their Cuban Blues did).
    Actually, to be fair, AT was better represented and supported than any other non-MJ form; there were 3 classes including the recap, and milongas every night, which typically went on up to an hour longer than advertised

Consider if you get almost the same weekend next time, what would be left to do.
    Swim? Pub Quiz? Walk on the beach?

Actually, I do take your point, and it does seem that the class variety was limited. Do you / anyone have a JA class list from the Southport days we could compare with?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think the consensus of opinion was, to start the freestyle an hour later, allowing for one of the classes to run then and then Cut or move the last class, so that the freestyle can continue on Sunday.
    IMO, a lot of people would be happy for it to end at 7pm, to give them time to eat, rest and get ready for the evening.

So effectively, only ONE class needs be cut of moved to another room!
    The class at 5pm was "One Track Mind" - this presumably was the one with 150 attendees?

Also, looking at the schedule, after the following class ("Tornado") finished at 7:15pm, there was nothing on in that room until 9:30pm - presumably because even fanatic weekender-ers have to eat sometime.

Oooh, I just thought of another thing on this topic - I'd really love some more "practice" time after a class, there was only 10 minutes or so to do this. It'd be nice if there were a 30-minute gap between classes to allow people to practice what they've learnt.

And I want a pony.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Consider if you get almost the same weekend next time, what would be left to do.
    More freestyle
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Do you / anyone have a JA class list from the Southport days we could compare with?
    How about this one...?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Love dance, will travel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    How about this one...?
    To me, there is a VERY good variety there but which ones would Frodo exclude?

We have..

Partnered

1 x Blues
    3 x Smooth Jive
    6 x MJ based
    3 x WCS
    1 Lindy Hop
    3 x AT
    2 x Performance Routine (do we exclude this Frodo? )
    1 x Dips and drops
    1 x Rumba
    1 x Cha Cha
    1 x Charleston
    1 x The Structure of Dance
    1 x Merengue

= 25

Non partnered

3 x Line dance
    1 x Tai Chi
    1 x Shim Sham
    1 x Pilates
    1 x Mens style class
    1 x Solo Jazz
    3 x Irish Dancing

= 11
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

I assumed that Frodo wants that level of variety at a Ceroc weekender, rather than the JA one DavidY gave.

And you know what? Me too...

Honestly, comparing the two, the 2008 JA one is far more attractive to me than the 2011 Ceroc one, even with far fewer classes. YMMV of course.

More freestyle
    Well I’ve done as Rocky suggested and written to ceroc HQ with my feedback and hopefully others will as well and who knows – Maybe they will listen.

Obviously what one person wants in terms of classes is almost certainly going to be different to someone else.

Ceroc's aim in creating weekenders is to make them more accessible and to make them more relevant to more of their members. This means that the classes should offer progressive learning right through from beginners to advanced and should also include technique and style based workshops and classes that are relevant to Ceroc and MJ. In addition Ceroc's aim is to introduce dancers to other dance forms on a regular basis - and to cycle them so the aim is to get a slightly different mix at each weekend.

So with all that in mind you will see that the schedule offers a huge variety of classes from beginners, through intermediate and onto advanced covering Repertoire enhancers and moves based classes, Slotted Style, Smooth Style, Dips, Drops & Seducers, Latin, Argentine Tango, Blues, Aerials, Street, Breakdance, Styling Classes, Performance Classes, Spinning Classes, Line Dance and Technique based classes AND then fitness based classes such as Zumba and Pilates AND Dance pyschology classes...

And you want more variety? Seriously?

3 classes of Irish dancing... now that's going to help your MJ no end..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Obviously what one person wants in terms of classes is almost certainly going to be different to someone else.

{snip advert}
    Sorry, I fell asleep after "Ceroc" but I assume you meant to say "Ceroc weekenders are aimed at Ceroc customers" yes? Something like that?

In addition Ceroc's aim is to introduce dancers to other dance forms on a regular basis
    Which other dance forms? Apart from Tango? (Although obviously, if you're going to have one more dance form, far better for it to be AT than that WCS rubbish)

And you want more variety? Seriously?
    Well, yes. Your "varierty" is mainly "different types of MJ moves".

3 classes of Irish dancing... now that's going to help your MJ no end..
    How can you say such a thing on St. Patrick's Day?

Shame on you.

Sorry, I fell asleep after "Ceroc" but I assume you meant to say "Ceroc weekenders are aimed at Ceroc customers" yes? Something like that?

Which other dance forms? Apart from Tango? (Although obviously, if you're going to have one more dance form, far better for it to be AT than that WCS rubbish)
    Over the years, WCS, Street, Rhumba, Cha Cha Cha, Lindy, Salsa, Night Club 2 Step, Nu-Line/Line Dance, Various swing based strolls, Ballroom... I'm sure there's more, but that's enough to be going on with..

Well, yes. Your "varierty" is mainly "different types of MJ moves".
    No actually, the variety comes from the range of techniques being taught rather than the range of moves

How can you say such a thing on St. Patrick's Day?

Shame on you.
    Easy...

I had a great time!

This thread, like all others has gone to pot, no wonder no one ever comes here.

I had a really good weekend.

We have..

Partnered

1 x Blues
    3 x Smooth Jive
    6 x MJ based
    3 x WCS
    1 Lindy Hop
    3 x AT
    2 x Performance Routine (do we exclude this Frodo? )
    1 x Dips and drops
    1 x Rumba
    1 x Cha Cha
    1 x Charleston
    1 x The Structure of Dance
    1 x Merengue

= 25

Non partnered

3 x Line dance
    1 x Tai Chi
    1 x Shim Sham
    1 x Pilates
    1 x Mens style class
    1 x Solo Jazz
    3 x Irish Dancing

= 11
    As David Bailey said I don't know what your point is.

It might help to say there are 3 classes there I'd be unlikely to do at dance weekender; you've identified 2 of them. Maybe a couple more I'm not particular enthusiastic about. Leaves 30 or more I am enthusiastic about.

However with 4 DJ'd freestyle rooms (assuming you're happy to move between rooms) giving music to inspire for many hours each evening + with half an hour of appropriate freestyle between classes, getting the classes in is hard.

So if you needed to cut some you could have cut the ones I liked most and I would have felt far from short changed.

On the other hand given the Storm 2011 weekender schedule I think the subtraction of a class is a big deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Thank you for your contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Hi Danny

Can you elaborate on why you think the thread has gone to pot? I’ll agree it has gone slightly off topic but it is related to weekenders in general and I have really enjoyed reading all the comments and If everyone only wrote they had a great time or a lousy time it would have been a very dull thread.

Blog Entries

As David Bailey said I don't know what your point is.
    ~snip~
    On the other hand given the Storm 2011 weekender schedule I think the subtraction of a class is a big deal.
    My point is, on one hand you say the Ceroc schedule is very limited on variety/depth/type, although there are 54 of them, so why should cutting ONE be so important to you?

And FWIW, I think you're just being deliberately antagonistic 'again'.

I don't know why you bother to go to Ceroc weekenders, if you don't like anything about them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Hi Danny

Can you elaborate on why you think the thread has gone to pot? I’ll agree it has gone slightly off topic but it is related to weekenders in general and I have really enjoyed reading all the comments and If everyone only wrote they had a great time or a lousy time it would have been a very dull thread.
    I had a great time.

Blog Entries

Hi Danny

Can you elaborate on why you think the thread has gone to pot? I’ll agree it has gone slightly off topic but it is related to weekenders in general and I have really enjoyed reading all the comments

and If everyone only wrote they had a great time or a lousy time it would have been a very dull thread
    Here here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I had a great time!

Blog Entries

Hi Danny

Precisely.

This is a discussion forum.

We discuss stuff.

Errr. That's it.

Thread Information