Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camber Storm 2011 Aftermath

Re: Camber Storm 2011 Aftermath

Rocky
    Who puts the tape together for the music in the stairwell at Camber.

In the times I was moving from the Bouncy room to the COZ room there was some great tunes. Well done that DJ

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    You can play all the great tracks you want in that timescale without diluting it one bit and leave with people wanting more... .
    It's always a good dj that leaves you wanting more. There is truth in 'too much of a good thing'

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Rocky

In the times I was moving from the Bouncy room to the COZ room there was some great tunes. Well done that DJ
    Thats now 3 votes for the Stair PA, anymore.....! You could put the daytime dancing out there

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well umm... if there were 300 people dancing and there are 1,500 on the weekend, that means that 1,200 people for whatever reason didn't find it of interest enough to put on their dancing shoes..

Now, you could dig down into the reasons why and it maybe that a large number of those actually couldn't give a monkey's one way or another.

But the point is that the 150 or so people who actually did do the class appreciated the choice - and with more hours of freestyle on the weekend than classes one could argue that the last thing the weekend needs is more afternoon freestyle..

It's all about balance and about trying to offer something for everyone.
    But just looking at the numbers, you've turfed 300 people out to let 150 people in, surely that means you're not pleasing the most people? Although I guess you could say that if there were another 150 people in the following class, that evens things out.

Personally I don't care about daytime dancing that much - and I'm not convinced the Blues Room is a good room to give that 24-7 dance ambience; it's a bit too big and I think you need some natural light to make it work well.

But there were 54 classes over the weekend, and looking at the list, several of them were duplicated - Zumba, Pilates, Mind Games, Baby Aerials, and three "Starters Orders" (complete beginner) classes. So I'm not convinced cutting 4-5 of them would have been a major body blow.

So... ummm, dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Rocky

I don't know off the top of my head, but it's either Chris Baker, Marc Forster or Garry Turner as they are all directly involved in the set up of music equipment and in supplying background music. And all were DJing on the weekend too.

Blog Entries

I don't know off the top of my head, but it's either Chris Baker, Marc Forster or Garry Turner as they are all directly involved in the set up of music equipment and in supplying background music. And all were DJing on the weekend too.
    I also loved the tape, I stopped several times to listen to it. Good job, whoever did it.

Blog Entries

Oh yes, one more thing on the Camber review, I'd forgotten about it.

When the main room closed on the Sat night (Sunday morning, 4am-ish I think?). a lot of people from there came down to the Blues room, and it suddenly became quite manic.

Now, I'm pretty sure the tempo of the music played was no different, but it felt like a faster floor, because the new people were dancing faster to it. At that point, I stuck it out for a bit, but then I decided to call it a night, I couldn't be bothered to wait for the crowd to thin out.

Maybe it's worth thinking about, I dunno, slowing the music down more at that point to compensate? Might be worth a try?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    But just looking at the numbers, you've turfed 300 people out to let 150 people in, surely that means you're not pleasing the most people? Although I guess you could say that if there were another 150 people in the following class, that evens things out.
    Yeah, but then hindsight is a perfect science... it's possible that the class could have had 300 people in it if it was a different class... but even as it was the class is there for purpose...

Least we forget, the whole point of what Ceroc do is to teach people to dance and to provide a fun and social environment for them to enjoy that in. So without the actual teaching it sort of goes against what Ceroc stands for..

Can you let them know what a great job they did

The Forum Legend

Well umm... if there were 300 people dancing and there are 1,500 on the weekend, that means that 1,200 people for whatever reason didn't find it of interest enough to put on their dancing shoes...
    This is very true.

But if there were 1500 people on the weekend, and only 150 of them did the class, then that means that there were 1350 of them who didn't find the class interesting enough (and I mean no slur on the teachers, but am solely using your point of reference) to put on their dancing shoes.....

Using the total number of people on the weekend as a reference point is obviously flawed. The only comparison point is that 300 (conservative estimate I'd say) were dancing (and both Vince's set on Saturday, and the second set on Sunday were very good) and there were less than half that number then in the classes that followed.

As you say, it's perhaps not always about providing what the majority of people (who voted by being there, and not just the people on the forum) want, but that surely has to be at least something to think about when considering scheduling at Camber for future events.

Consider also that people who wanted to do a class did have a viable option in taking a class upstairs, while people who wanted to dance were pretty much not able to (I moved to the pub both afternoons, but given the numbers of people then in there, dancing was not an option for most people).

The Dashing Moderator

Yeah, but then hindsight is a perfect science... it's possible that the class could have had 300 people in it if it was a different class... but even as it was the class is there for purpose...
    I wasn't there, but I do love dancing in the daytime at Southport.

Nevertheless - if you've advertised a class at a certain time in a certain room, there's no question in my mind that you should run it, even if only 6 people turn up.

As Rocky said it's only possible to know in hindsight how popular the class was, and maybe change it in future events.
    Love dance, will travel

Least we forget, the whole point of what Ceroc do is to teach people to dance and to provide a fun and social environment for them to enjoy that in. So without the actual teaching it sort of goes against what Ceroc stands for..

I appreciate that the organisation did not know that there were going to be 300 people turfed out and 150 to do the lessons but now that we are reflecting, it would be nice if Ceroc could think of changing at least the Sunday afternoon class schedule to suit the majority. I don't know if you were around at the time but the atmosphere was electric and when the music was stopped there was a large groan from the crowd, including myself.

All I asked is, if Ceroc could look at changing the schedule to allow for freestyle all Sunday afternoon. I don't think that would stop the lessons too much. I do appreciate that the workshop are important but there must be a way of getting around this.

I must add that Garry's (Locoman) set on Sunday was superb and helped make the Sunday afternoon so special

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    But if there were 1500 people on the weekend, and only 150 of them did the class, .....
    Ah, but maybe those 150 people were also part of the 300 freestyling and just waiting for the freestyle to end... we'll never know..

But what I can tell you is that there have been complaints in the past from previous Cambers where there was more freestyling trialed in the afternoon from people who wanted more classes...

It's just impossible to please everyone, and when that's the case one can only provide a balance so that you please some of the people some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    All I asked is, if Ceroc could look at changing the schedule to allow for freestyle all Sunday afternoon. I don't think that would stop the lessons too much. I do appreciate that the workshop are important but there must be a way of getting around this.
    As I've mentioned above... it was trialled before and Ceroc received actual written complaints from people about the reduction in classes.

So, all I can say is, rather than discussing here (and this applies to everyone who feels the same way) if you really feel strongly about it write to Ceroc HQ and put your point forward.

As I've mentioned above... it was trialled before and Ceroc received actual written complaints from people about the reduction in classes.

So, all I can say is, rather than discussing here (and this applies to everyone who feels the same way) if you really feel strongly about it write to Ceroc HQ and put your point forward.
    Ok the reason I was discussing it on here is it is a discussion forum but I take your point and I will write to Ceroc HQ.

A lttle point, if you have a tight timescale for a freestyle, then its go at the time or miss out, if its over longer you can turn up later or leave earlier, a bit like pubs being open all day Sunday and it losing the "atmosphere" as you dont know if your mates will be there, so having the freestyle over longer could mean 200 in the room over a longer period and it not being as good.

Surprisingly, over 3+ years of running our little Berko milongas, I've never seen anyone do MJ in the Tango sets. If I did, I'd have a quiet word with them.
    I was beginning to think someone should - the couples going past were all giving them looks but I think they were oblivious.

54 classes is "lacking"?
    Excluding masterclasses, beginner classes, non dance classes and classes at anti-social times all of which aren't subtitutes halves that.

But lacking not so much in number but in variety/depth/type. But if you'd cut the number it isn't likely that the range would improve.

I did 4 classes. I don't think of myself as a newbie.
    If you consider it less a newbie thing and more in the context of repetiveness across these weekends.

Zumba as you said is more exercise (on your learningtango site). It might be said to be in the same category as pilates.

Dance psychology. A very good and novel idea from Ceroc - a remnant from their early weekenders.

Marc and Rachel do their one tango class (Being tango for beginners - doesn't repeat as well as their Cuban Blues did).

Masterclasses such as the Tango one are in a somewhat different category.

Consider if you get almost the same weekend next time, what would be left to do.

You can have a situation where you have some good teachers, but they're substantially repeating themselves.
    Last edited by frodo; 16th-March-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Consider if you get almost the same weekend next time, what would be left to do.

You can have a situation where you have some good teachers, but they're substantially repeating themselves.
    Have to say that I agree with you on that one. I've been to most of the weekenders at Camber in March or November (but not July) for the last 5 years, and the classes have got repetitive. I also wish that they would give a little more information on the class in the booklet (though I understand that they can't - extra paper, higher printing costs). Maybe a central point with more detailed info on the classes would be helpful. Some of the descriptions really don't give you much to go on.

Although I've been doing Marc and Rachel's tango classes, at beginners level, each time (I'm a beginner and need all the practice I can get!) and they do vary them. Some people only do the tango at the Ceroc weekenders apparently.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the consensus of opinion was, to start the freestyle an hour later, allowing for one of the classes to run then and then Cut or move the last class, so that the freestyle can continue on Sunday.
    IMO, a lot of people would be happy for it to end at 7pm, to give them time to eat, rest and get ready for the evening.

So effectively, only ONE class needs be cut of moved to another room!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information