Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Camber Storm 2011 Aftermath

Re: Camber Storm 2011 Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Can you elaborate on why you think the thread has gone to pot? I’ll agree it has gone slightly off topic but it is related to weekenders in general and I have really enjoyed reading all the comments and If everyone only wrote they had a great time or a lousy time it would have been a very dull thread.
    The gushy 'it was all amazing' threads are a bit boring (and I know I do sometimes post if I've really enjoyed something but I try to balance it).

And feedback and discussion, even if they get bogged down in debate (which is sort of the point of the forum) can be useful.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing I re-noticed about the Blues Room, it's too big. But hell, that's the room we've got, so we should live with it and stop whingeing.
    Like that'll happen.
    On another note, would people recommend the VLV weekender?

It doesn't look like that much to me, but a friend came to her first weekender with me and is keen on returning, so I thought I'd canvas opinion?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    One thing I re-noticed about the Blues Room, it's too big. ?
    It is a big room, but it seems to work even when not very busy because the small fixed floor, in front of the stage, feels like a small room in itself. (presuming that it's still like that, as it's been a long time since I was there)
    If I recall, the room used to get pretty busy at times so if it was smaller it would be extremely cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    My point is, on one hand you say the Ceroc schedule is very limited on variety/depth/type, although there are 54 of them, so why should cutting ONE be so important to you?
    A) I've explained the effective number is much smaller than that. Why masterclasses aren't a substitute is a subject for another thread.

Cutting a class in them morning and replace that with freestyle would be fine.

I think cutting a prime time class may have an effective effect more like 1 in 5

Using a 1 in 54 figure is misleading.

B) Because it is very close to the margin of acceptable vs unnacceptable (perhaps around 4 suitable classes).

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    On another note, would people recommend the VLV weekender?

It doesn't look like that much to me, but a friend came to her first weekender with me and is keen on returning, so I thought I'd canvas opinion?
    It's about the same as the others at Camber. I went last year for the first time, expecting it to be a bit "posher" or black tie or something, but it wasn't discernably different. Having said that, the weather was great, so no freezing in the chalets! Tell her from me, if she's been bitten by the bug, she should go ahead and book

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    It is a big room, but it seems to work even when not very busy because the small fixed floor, in front of the stage, feels like a small room in itself. (presuming that it's still like that, as it's been a long time since I was there)
    If I recall, the room used to get pretty busy at times so if it was smaller it would be extremely cramped.

It is a bit big, but they keep it pretty dark.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    A) I've explained the effective number is much smaller than that. Why masterclasses aren't a substitute is a subject for another thread.

Cutting a class in them morning and replace that with freestyle would be fine.

I think cutting a prime time class may have an effective effect more like 1 in 5

Using a 1 in 54 figure is misleading.

B) Because it is very close to the margin of acceptable vs unnacceptable (perhaps around 4 suitable classes).
    Acceptable to whom? Are you saying there are only 4 classes that you would do
    And what do you mean by "prime time"? Cutting one class at the end of the day is unlikely to have much effect. Giving 45 minutes of freestyle time first thing in the morning is unlikely to work (unless you mean extending the previous night's freestyle that is!). My impression is that those who are likely to want more freestyle time and are less likely to do classes are the ones who stay up very very late. (I'm somewhere in the middle - ususally do 3-5 classes, like a bit of daytime freestyle and stay up till about 3-4.)

I accept Rocky's arguement that one of Ceroc's prime purposes is to provide dance classes, but it also needs to provide time in which to dance. So again, providing more time to dance on a Sunday, when the majority of the classes are done, would fit in quite well with that.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

B) Because it is very close to the margin of acceptable vs unnacceptable
    Is that in answer to 'why you still go'? Cos its still acceptable?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

I wish i had gone now so i could put my two penneth worth in.

Great thread and very enlightening.

I want a pony too if DB gets one. !!

was ok

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
    was ok
    A Man of many words

Some good music played by DJ Veg

personally I prefer having the space for tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Is that in answer to 'why you still go'? Cos its still acceptable?
    No. In this case I would have quoted it.

Of course not quoting allows clean moderation.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No. In this case I would have quoted it.
    Straight forward question. Did you go to Camber?

The reason I'm asking is, you ALWAYS comment on Ceroc schedules and complain about them.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

at my first say 8 weekenders , i would do in the region of 10-13 workshops in a weekend, thats reduced to 3 or 4 now because of the lessened challenge and also by the spare leaders you seem to get these days!

ps: I only really freestyle dance at night too

Last edited by frodo; 18th-March-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Browser lost my new post and instead resubmitted my old post. Hence deleted content - won't let me post less than 5 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    It's about the same as the others at Camber. I went last year for the first time, expecting it to be a bit "posher" or black tie or something, but it wasn't discernably different. Having said that, the weather was great, so no freezing in the chalets! Tell her from me, if she's been bitten by the bug, she should go ahead and book
    Absolutely. The time of year is the only significant difference between Camber weekenders.

So apart from seasonally related issues (dance floor heat/the need to heat chalets/the beach etc.) and who you know who is going there is little to choose between them.

The cabaret might be a little different, there might be an odd interruption in the main room, the decoration may be a little different, there may be gaming tables out of the way by the side, but unless you're into those things and want to or need a particular excuse to dress up, I reckon it makes almost no difference.

It is a bit big, but they keep it pretty dark.
    I think it is much better than Southport. With one big area it is much easier to see who is available to dance. I do prefer the Southport lighting level though.

Acceptable to whom? Are you saying there are only 4 classes that you would do
    No. Just that about 4 good classes is what would make me feel the weekend was worthwhile on that level.

That is from my POV. For example I wouldn't count my eighth psychology of dance class as good, even though it was unchanged and the first was very good.

This could be split between those I'm enthusiastic about (from the combination of teachers and description) and those discovered.

You made a very good point about the limited class descriptions, and it could be with better descriptions attending a reasonable number of good classes would be easier.

I think the best information on the classes is probably the past DVDs (or the current DVD for someone getting up on Sunday morning). The class titles and teacher line up only changes slowly.

And what do you mean by "prime time"? Cutting one class at the end of the day is unlikely to have much effect. Giving 45 minutes of freestyle time first thing in the morning is unlikely to work (unless you mean extending the previous night's freestyle that is!).
    Prime time might be 1:30 - 5:30 or so.

I accept Rocky's arguement that one of Ceroc's prime purposes is to provide dance classes, but it also needs to provide time in which to dance. So again, providing more time to dance on a Sunday, when the majority of the classes are done, would fit in quite well with that.
    Isn't the key question whether the demand for classes declines faster, than the demand for freestyle Sunday night. Not whether the majority of classes are done ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Razzle View Post
    at my first say 8 weekenders , i would do in the region of 10-13 workshops in a weekend, thats reduced to 3 or 4 now because of the lessened challenge and also by the spare leaders you seem to get these days!
    I'm not a follower but I see less in the schedule to attract decent followers

(as in those that know roughly what is important and what isn't about following).

I personally might be quite happy doing the odd 'still more moves' volume 12, but given the lack of said followers there are better places to do said classes.

I reckon a motivation to make more classes decent follower friendly would improve the class range greatly (and make room for freestyle), but the direction is currently the other way.

Thread Information