Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too much choice?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Too much choice?

I've just thought of another point, as far as I can see, all the weekenders end up being sold out? Please can someone correct me if I'm wrong

So there's obviously a market for them.

I think there would be a lot of disappointed people, now they've had a taste of them and got used to booking a few a year, if the choice (and the amount) of weekenders was cut down again.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

As a kind of tangent - how do people think that the now established more frequent larger events could differentiate themselves/develop? Or is the current format/style acceptable to keep on using?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I've just thought of another point, as far as I can see, all the weekenders end up being sold out?
    I think there were a few spaces at Breeze in 2010
    but that may have been due to the 2009 web page showing up on some search engines, which said it was fully booked, when in fact here were spaces

Franco's weekend, the month before, at Sand Bay, did not sell out, but it was very poorly advertised

RB weekends do not always completely sell out ( but single rooms are taken a year in advance )

I think the last two Holiday Rock, Twixmas events, did not completely sell out

but I don't think I heard of an event being cancelled, due to a lack of punters
    Last edited by philsmove; 10th-March-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    No, no I completely understood that you couldn't answer the question because it would show that your statements weren't based on any actual facts..
    Blimey, it's taken you 5 years to figure that out?

There's still newbies, and a continuing flow to help sustain the market for the future, but the people who started 3-4 years ago have now had more opportunity to experience weekenders for all the reasons I've previously outlined - and there's no question in my mind that weekenders do improve people's dancing because it's so intensive with a wide variety of teaching and a wide variety of people to dance with and gain experience from.
    My opinion is that weekender help improve people's dancing at the weekender - people get an immediate lift from being surrounded by dance, and focussing on it.

But, I also think that some or all of that improvement is subsequently lost afterwards - that's based both on my experience and comments made by others. In that way, you could think of weekenders as 1 big 72-hour class - you improve during the class, but unless you retain and internalise the improvements, you lose them afterwards.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by t0mt0m View Post
    As a kind of tangent - how do people think that the now established more frequent larger events could differentiate themselves/develop? Or is the current format/style acceptable to keep on using?
    Dropping the stupid names would be a good start.

To be fair, there's inevitably a limit to how much one Ceroc weekender at a Pontins site can differentiate itself from another Ceroc weekender at a Pontins site. And Ceroc have made some efforts to give each one a distinct identity - The Blues One, The One With The Spacehoppers, and so on.

Bottom line, people are happy with what they have at the moment - they know what they#re going to get when they book a Ceroc weekender, and adding too much variation might put people off. I agree with Lory about the improvements in conditions; I'd just like to see more competition with Ceroc in the large-scale weekender market, to keep this improvement going.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post
    Although I don't think it's been mentioned so far (I'm sure someone will point out is has if I'm wrong), but whilst we're on the subject of choice, I feel it's a shame that this years MJ champs at Blackpool clashes with Camber, thus no doubt robbing both events of some quality dancers as they make the choice between the two. I also note that yet again, this years Welsh Champs will clash with Medfest.
    Being ever so slightly controversial , IMO, the worst scenario is when a weekender is the week before a comp.. all the serious dancers turn up in practice mode

It seriously changes the atmosphere, to the detriment AFAIC

Camber seemed to have retained all the 'fun' dancers, who's 'first love' is social dancing
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Being ever so slightly controversial , IMO, the worst scenario is when a weekender is the week before a comp.. all the serious dancers turn up in practice mode
    Blackpool date for next year is w/e of 3rd March - so if Camber is 2nd w/e in March again, then this shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that (remember my comment was before the event), didn't feel there was any fun lost by those who chose to go to Blackpool being missing at Camber

I don't know where you get your figures from?
    I just make them up, of course. I was not talking specifically about Ceroc weekenders, I was just referring loosely to events I have been to in general which have included a couple of Ceroc weekenders. The first one was great, the second one had a lower attendance level and a high proportion were relatively inexperienced dancers. I can dance with them nearer home, so that weekender was not worth the effort and cost to me. It did seriously put me off going to another one.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey
    if you have 200 people on a RB weekender and half of them are good dancers then they are much easier to spot and dance with. With 1,800 people on a weekender you have to work a little harder to find them spread across a much larger venue with 3 rooms. So yes the concentration is greater on a small weekender but that's actually what I disliked about them (and I have taught at 2 RB weekends as well as two BB events). I got a little bored after the first night because I had already danced with all the people I wanted too and then it was just the same faces for the next two nights.
    My experience of weekenders with such small numbers is that after discounting the leaders that I don't really want to dance with and the ones
    that don't really want to dance with me (and I would be amazed if half fell into the "good dancer" category, what about the natural distribution curve?) there just aren't enough left to keep me busy enough - the first night is fine, the subsequent nights may get repetetive.
    Straycat's point about the advantages of smaller venues/numbers is good - i would agree but only where individual freestyles are concerned, for a weekender i want more, the full experience.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post
    Although I don't think it's been mentioned so far (I'm sure someone will point out is has if I'm wrong), but whilst we're on the subject of choice, I feel it's a shame that this years MJ champs at Blackpool clashes with Camber, thus no doubt robbing both events of some quality dancers as they make the choice between the two. I also note that yet again, this years Welsh Champs will clash with Medfest.

Obviously I understand the need for organisers to plan ahead, book venues well in advance etc.., but it would be nice to think that seeing as there are a limited number of competitions, the weekender market could work around them, thus allowing those who wish to compete to have the option of doing both.
    We have booked at Blackpool for the next 5 years to help with clashing or should i say the prevention of clashing. historically we wont clash

Thread Information