Thread: The World's Funniest Joke

The World's Funniest Joke

Was it Python who did a sketch on this?

A few years ago Hertfordshire University created a website, posted some 40,000 jokes and asked people to rate them. As a result they claim to have the world's funniest joke based on said poll.

Of course it is nonsense. Jokes are subjective and one cannot actually define the funniest joke. But I was wondering whether someone who had the time or inclination could conduct a similar poll on our jokes thread.

Incidentally here are the top two winners in order, and therefore the de facto funniest jokes in the world.

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?". The operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson go on a camping trip, and after finishing their dinner they retire for the night, and go to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes wakes up and nudges his faithful friend. "Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see." "I see millions and millions of stars, Holmes" exclaims Watson. "And what do you deduce from that?" Watson ponders for a minute. "Well, astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful, and that we are a small and insignificant part of the universe. What does it tell you, Holmes?" "Watson, you idiot!" he exclaims, "Somebody's stolen our tent!"

Re: The World's Funniest Joke

Not sure about the World's funniest jokes.

Just personal opinion but I don't find the first particularly funny at all. The second I have certainly seen before, and it does make me smile, but probably because it plays true to the spirit of the original stories, rather than from being particularly funny.

Maybe it is just me being awkward

WT

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    Not sure about the World's funniest jokes.

Just personal opinion but I don't find the first particularly funny at all. The second I have certainly seen before, and it does make me smile, but probably because it plays true to the spirit of the original stories, rather than from being particularly funny.

Maybe it is just me being awkward

WT
    I agree. But the 2nd one makes little sense - Holmes should have said "look up and tell me what you see" not "look up at the sky and tell me what you see". Watson answered the question correctly given its structure. So there.

Commercial Operator

The survey is flawed and the conclusion can not be reached from the data. Most of the World do not speak English. This means they will not understand or get any of the jokes. The result would be that they would vote at random or not vote at all - which is still a vote.

This means that the English speaking voters would not be able to produce a majority in their voting pattern - if this were the case we could conclude that the majority of the world did not find the jokes funny at all.

It is possible that the winning jokes got more votes than the other jokes. It is also possible that these jokes did not get many votes, just more than the other jokes. Which is why they're not very funny.

Pedant? Moi?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I agree. But the 2nd one makes little sense - Holmes should have said "look up and tell me what you see" not "look up at the sky and tell me what you see". Watson answered the question correctly given its structure. So there.
    I agree with you in that I think Watson answered the FIRST question from Holmes correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson go on a camping trip, and after finishing their dinner they retire for the night, and go to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes wakes up and nudges his faithful friend. "Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see." "I see millions and millions of stars, Holmes" exclaims Watson.
    However it it the answer to Holmes SECOND question that is the basis of the joke.

"And what do you deduce from that?"
    Watson had deduced a number of things about the stars instead of deducing the fact that he could see them at all was because their tent had been stolen.

There you are. A perfect illustration of the fact that if you have to explain a joke it becomes much less funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    The survey is flawed and the conclusion can not be reached from the data. Most of the World do not speak English. This means they will not understand or get any of the jokes. The result would be that they would vote at random or not vote at all - which is still a vote.

This means that the English speaking voters would not be able to produce a majority in their voting pattern - if this were the case we could conclude that the majority of the world did not find the jokes funny at all.

It is possible that the winning jokes got more votes than the other jokes. It is also possible that these jokes did not get many votes, just more than the other jokes. Which is why they're not very funny.

Pedant? Moi?
    Perhaps like the Oscars?

Commercial Operator

Perhaps like the Oscars?
    Nothing like the Oscars. At the Oscards nobody is saying the winners are the best in the opinion of "The World". It is very clear who makes the decisions regarding the winners of Oscars.

If this was important I'd go on at length - I'm sure our readers are relieved

Thread Information