Thread: Moderator Note: Postings by Organisers on Events that are nearly Sold Out

The Dashing Moderator

Moderator Note: Postings by Organisers on Events that are nearly Sold Out

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky on another thread, event details edited out
    I never really know what to do as regards this whole organizers advertising thing on the forum, but it would be awful if someone made the journey tonight only to find that they can't get a ticket... so here goes.

Just to let you know that there are now just 5 couple's (obviously you don't have to actually be a couple!) spaces for tonight .

Please do not turn up on the door without reserving your ticket in advance as we observe a strict maximum capacity limit.
    We did receive a report of this post as advertising, and although I think Rocky was genuinely trying to be helpful in this case, if we were to allow this in future it does leave open possibilities for abuse from organisers constantly mentioning their events which are 'nearly full'.

So to clarify the situation: organisers can post to advise people if their event is sold out or full, to avoid people being turned away at the door, or bothering to include the event in their decision process.

But saying an event is 'Nearly' sold out will be treated as advertising and removed.
    Love dance, will travel

Re: Moderator Note: Postings by Organisers on Events that are nearly Sold Out

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    We did receive a report of this post as advertising, and although I think Rocky was genuinely trying to be helpful in this case, if we were to allow this in future it does leave open possibilities for abuse from organisers constantly mentioning their events which are 'nearly full'.

So to clarify the situation: organisers can post to advise people if their event is sold out or full, to avoid people being turned away at the door, or bothering to include the event in their decision process.

But saying an event is 'Nearly' sold out will be treated as advertising and removed.
    I accept that David and that's fair - however the only thing I would say is that I had to post it was 'nearly full' as we were about to go out and teach a workshop for the afternoon and so wouldn't have internet access later in the day to do a 'Sold Out' update.

Also, I guess it's impossible to monitor if the event mentioned is actually nearly sold out or not, so it is open to abuse.

Thread Information