Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Learning Photoshop ( or any photo editing software )

Re: Learning Photoshop ( or any photo editing software )

Cool stuff - I'm really not very good at using cloning tools (I only use LR and I don't think its as refined for cloning. I'd love CS6 and LR4....

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Be warned though, using a big card, is a bit like putting all your eggs in one basket!
    Not if you buy 2

It's a futureproofing move, I know I can take multiple videos and upgrade camera now without worrying about capacity.

Going to download CS6 beta as I haven't got Photoshop in any form so I figured this is a good cheap way to test drive the whole thing. Still don't think I'll be able to justify actually buying it when the beta ends though.

(Still not upgraded to LR4, although I now have around 130 photos waiting on my camera so that I can import them with the shiny new RAW handling)

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    Not if you buy 2
    Ahhhh

Going to download CS6 beta as I haven't got Photoshop in any form so I figured this is a good cheap way to test drive the whole thing.
    Good luck.. just don't expect it to be, immediately 'user friendly', you really do need to do some sort of training to be able to get the most out of it!

I think I'll download and have a play with it next week, just to torture myself
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I learned enough to find out how to do a couple of things I've used GIMP for in the past, how to do a couple of things I do in LR, had a quick play with some other features and half an hour later uninstalled the beta.

It's not whether it's a great piece of software. It's the realisation that CS6 wont do anything that I've done to the 101 photos taken (and kept) since acquiring Lightroom that LR4 wont do (and LR's quicker and easier!) I just don't actually need it.

I'm delighted to discover this. There was always this nagging feeling that surely everybody needs Photoshop. Nope

To be fair, I'm doing things in LR4 that I couldn't get to work in LR3 so it's a good job I upgraded before testing CS6, but anything that I can't do in LR4 now I'm going to settle for the clunkier GIMP alternative, on the grounds that it's several hundred quid cheaper and hasn't been needed yet.

This wasn't an expected outcome.
    Last edited by cederic; 27th-March-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Interesting. The only thing I think I'd use CS6 for would be cloning - eg some skin work, or to take out a sign etc I've either not noticed when taking the shot or not been able to avoid using composition, but that I can't remove by just cropping.

I know you can do all sorts of amazing things in Photoshop, we had a tutorial last week at camera club on making composite images - but I'm not a fan of too much digital manipulation. The composite images - putting someone somewhere they weren't is a good exercise in technical understanding but the end result, no matter how perfect, isn't something to be taken seriously (unless its in advertising of course, where people don't care how false what they are showing is, as long as it looks good). So its fun to play with, but not for actual images to be used/given to someone. (I know there are exceptions to this.)

I love LR and would probably still want to use it for 99% of what I need to do - but the cloning tool is a bit clunky - is that improved in LR4?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

I love LR and would probably still want to use it for 99% of what I need to do - but the cloning tool is a bit clunky - is that improved in LR4?
    No obvious changes

I noramlly start with L4 and use CS5 for removing unwanted clutter

my other use fro CS5 is is changing the sky . Yes I know its better to get it right in camera but that is not allways possible

I've found LR4 gives me excellent control on contrast/shadow/exposure to get the right mix for both land and sky, and I don't want to "create" photos (by, e.g. using a sky from one pic with a landscape/building from another).

Oddly one of the things I did test in CS6 was object extraction (which would be an initial step in image composition) but I tend to use it to isolate a part of an image for use in a presentation, rather than to create composite images.

Haven't played with noise reduction (if you meant that by 'unwanted clutter') and haven't really played with any cloning either (although I did play with the CS6 heal tool - excellent tool, just not one I actually need).

I guess if I were taking professional photographs to order and needed to fix a small part of an image to rescue an image that would otherwise be unavailable for my client then cloning/healing might well be worth the cost of CS6, but as a random amateur that gleefully deletes pictures that didn't "work" I'm happy to go without. Although I guess I should play with LR4.

Took 138 pictures on my walk home from work tonight. Quick review on the camera suggests, erm, 3 that might work out. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post

Took 138 pictures on my walk home from work tonight. Quick review on the camera suggests, erm, 3 that might work out. Oh well.
    Monday I took 179 shots, only happy with one , but then the client only needed one

by unwanted clutter, I mean fire exit signs ,double yellow lines, and if I am careless my gadget bag

LR4 is excellent for noise reduction

Blog Entries

I bit the bullet and downloaded CS6 beta and so far, so good!

I'm glad I'm doing the trial, as although everything new it fab, it's also made me aware how little I'd actually need it and that I can still do 'most' of the stuff in CS4, it just takes a bit longer and maybe a bit more skill.

If I was doing a lot of this kind of stuff and time was against me, it would be invaluable and I wouldn't hesitate to get it when it finally goes on sale but I'm not, so I'm slightly happier now as its given the the chance to use it properly and to see ow it would fit into my real workflow.

Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, then I'd get it in a jiffy, as I can't see a 'downside' to it but I've got other, more pressing things I could spend my money on just now
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

March's sunshine finally meant I could get out and try some proper street photography. Over the course of three days (well, one lunch break, two walks home and a walk into work) I shot Manchester:

Lightroom is becoming an almost essential tool for me, so that I can apply colour filters as part of converting to B&W - sometimes I use a green filter, sometimes orange, one's yellow, a few are neutral; then there's the contrast, the odd exposure change, some fiddling on the highlights and shadows. I've spent two hours cropping and converting those pictures, and it's been worth every minute.

Oddly it was reading an Ansel Adams book that made me think to even try coloured filters on black & white photographs. It's been a massive learning experience for me, but one that I should have been able to think through from the outset. I'm still not at the stage of knowing which colour to filter on, let alone Adams' understanding and planning when taking a photo to filter out specific reflections or distracting elements, but I'm really enjoying playing with the colour balance within a picture to help focus the eye, change the emphasis or just give a more interesting feel.

I think I'm addicted to street photography.

I bit the bullet and downloaded CS6 beta and so far, so good!.............

................Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, then I'd get it in a jiffy, as I can't see a 'downside' to it but I've got other, more pressing things I could spend my money on just now
    The full version is out, upgrade from only £357.60

Not for me, my D800 had just put a big hole in my pocket

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    The full version is out, upgrade from only £357.60

Not for me, my D800 had just put a big hole in my pocket
    Is that the upgrade from CS4 or 5? I'm still on 4

Congrats on your D800! Thankfully, I don't have the urge to change cameras just yet but I would like a 70-200 f2.8 is 11

Is that the upgrade from CS4 or 5? I'm still on 4

Congrats on your D800! Thankfully, I don't have the urge to change cameras just yet but I would like a 70-200 f2.8
    sorry not sure

Congrats on your D800! Thankfully, I don't have the urge to change cameras just yet but I would like a 70-200 f2.8
    Thanks. picked the 800 today, just got some results with my 70 -200 the image quality is mind blowing

Blog Entries

Thanks. picked the 800 today, just got some results with my 70 -200 the image quality is mind blowing
    Come on then let's see

files too big for here
    a few on FB taken with the 105 macro
    wating fro the red thing to come out, to test it properly
    @100 ISO mind blowing
    even at High ISO s better than the D700

I'd love a D800 but common sense is telling me that I could have a D700 and 24-70 f2.8 for not much more than a D800 body only... not that I'm in a position to get either just yet.

And the shopping wish list would include a 50 f1.4, 85 f1.4 (though I'd maybe settle for the f1.8G), a new computer (probably an iMac), Photoshop and LR4....

Phil - enjoy your new D800

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

Phil - enjoy your new D800
    Thanks, all the hype is true , it is an amazing Camera, I will not be going to back to my D700 unless I need 7fps

Re shopping wish list

I would start with LR4. £60 for a upgrade or £100, from Amazon, for the full edition
    Remember you try it free for 30 days
    the additional options on the brush tool, are very useful
    the black and white slides are also very good
    the new shadow and highlight sliders are much better than LR3

Blog Entries

Well, after a couple of weeks trial of CS6, I can honestly say, if I want to get a job done quickly, I keep going back to my CS4.
    I know its probably just a case of getting used to it but I haven't found the need for any of the new features 'yet' and things just work differently and I'm constantly getting frustrated with it.
    I'm sure its just cos I've got quick at knowing how to use shortcuts and I have all my settings tweaked to how I like them but doing 'anything' in CS6 is taking me longer!
    Phew, I'm relieved

Lynn, my wish-list also includes an 85mm 1.4 and like you, I think I'd settle for the 1.8

Other items on the wish-list 'did' include the 70-200 f2.8 but I've downgraded to the f4 with IS now, as thinking about it, I can't see i'd be using it that often 'inside' and the extra size and weight turn me off.

Thanks, all the hype is true , it is an amazing Camera, I will not be going to back to my D700 unless I need 7fps
    Do you find it needs more careful 'handling'? I've heard that... and what about the large file sizes? (I'm just trying to talk myself out of one cos I can't afford it...).

I would start with LR4. £60 for a upgrade or £100, from Amazon, for the full edition
    Remember you try it free for 30 days
    the additional options on the brush tool, are very useful
    the black and white slides are also very good
    the new shadow and highlight sliders are much better than LR3
    Yes I def want LR4 but I'm waiting til I get my new computer - and I can get the student and teachers version so it won't be too expensive. I love LR and am looking forward to using LR4.

Well, after a couple of weeks trial of CS6, I can honestly say, if I want to get a job done quickly, I keep going back to my CS4.
    I know its probably just a case of getting used to it but I haven't found the need for any of the new features 'yet' and things just work differently and I'm constantly getting frustrated with it.
    I'm sure its just cos I've got quick at knowing how to use shortcuts and I have all my settings tweaked to how I like them but doing 'anything' in CS6 is taking me longer!
    I'm a bit like that when I try to use PSE - everything just takes so much longer than LR. I think I'll end up using LR for most of what I need to do, but Photoshop is better at cloning, skin work etc - so I need to get it and learn it too.

Lynn, my wish-list also includes an 85mm 1.4 and like you, I think I'd settle for the 1.8

Other items on the wish-list 'did' include the 70-200 f2.8 but I've downgraded to the f4 with IS now, as thinking about it, I can't see i'd be using it that often 'inside' and the extra size and weight turn me off.
    Agree - the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is really big and heavy too which puts me off. I would like a 24-70 f2.8 though... I think it would be quite a nice focal length on a crop body. Its expensive though, but I think its a lens I end up using a lot (and so far I've only spent £340 on lenses in total!)

The problem with the 85 is there is so much choice! A couple of versions of 1.8 and 1.4 - accordingly priced. Then there is the Samyang 85 f1.4 which is a great price but manual focus only.

Lory when doing dance photography how do you use your flash? I usually partly bounce if the ceiling is light and not too high, but I've to cover an event next month with a massive high, black, ceiling...

Thread Information