Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Learning Photoshop ( or any photo editing software )

Re: Learning Photoshop ( or any photo editing software )

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Do you find it needs more careful 'handling'?
    Yes, It has rained every day since I bought it, so at the moment I tend to use the D700 outside , but once the newness has worn off, it will have to tackle british summer

and what about the large file sizes? (I'm just trying to talk myself out of one cos I can't afford it...).
    I have started to delete any rejects , immediately after import , then go back a week later and have a second cull. I do keep a back up of everything for a few months

Processing is a little slower but the end result makes it worth it, but I do use a fairly powerful workstation

If I did not need video, did mostly weddings and events, and was on a tight budget, I would look at some of the D700 bargains. I saw a new one yesterday for a tad over £1000 ( can't see it today)

The D800 only knocks spots off the D700 only at low ISO values it is better at all levels but at say ISO 1600 the difference is not that great

One one feature I really like on the D800 is the auto ISO, which takes into account the focal length of the lens. I think the only other camera to do this is the M9 but I am not a Canon expert
    Last edited by philsmove; 6th-May-2012 at 08:43 AM.

I usually partly bounce if the ceiling is light and not too high, but I've to cover an event next month with a massive high, black, ceiling...
    provided you you use a diffuser ,it is surprising how much light gets bounced off walls and other dancers ect
    I rarely have problems with a SB900 and a diffuser

I have an similar event this weekend. A lot of time,I will only use on camera bounched flash

To be safe, I will will probably have 3 SB900s one on camera, the other two on stands, with pocket wizards and possibly small umbrellas
    Last edited by philsmove; 6th-May-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I have started to delete any rejects , immediately after import , then go back a week later and have a second cull. I do keep a back up of everything for a few months

Processing is a little slower but the end result makes it worth it, but I do use a fairly powerful workstation
    I'm useing a 4+ yo laptop with 2GB RAM... but am upgrading this summer to something better!

If I did not need video, did mostly weddings and events, and was on a tight budget, I would look at some of the D700 bargains. I saw a new one yesterday for a tad over £1000 ( can't see it today)
    Was that with lowish actuations? I'd either like a new one (and the new price is coming down) or s/h with light use. The D700 is still an excellent camera.
    provided you you use a diffuser ,it is surprising how much light gets bounced off walls and other dancers ect
    I rarely have problems with a SB900 and a diffuser

I have an similar event this weekend. A lot of time,I will only use on camera bounched flash

To be safe, I will will probably have 3 SB900s one on camera, the other two on stands, with pocket wizards and possibly small umbrellas
    I've only got two SB600s lol! But I do have triggers and stand. Not sure about using stand and umbrella though in case dancers trip over it? I really should upgrade at least one of my flashes to an SB900 soon.

Was that with lowish actuations?

I've only got two SB600s lol! But I do have triggers and stand. Not sure about using stand and umbrella though in case dancers trip over it? I really should upgrade at least one of my flashes to an SB900 soon.
    The D700 was new but no longer there

re flash, I would use both SB 600s, both with diffusers, pointing one straight up and the other @ 45degrees. Needless to say, crank the ISO up as high as possible, only you know how far you want to go

the SB 900 has now been replaced by the SB 910 I would get that over the SB700 as it has a bigger head, giving a slightly softer light

Re Brolly's, The event is the Big Bath Bash and I will only be shooting the cabaret. I will use my smallest brollies and my biggest stands

Wow - thats a good price for a new one! I see some places are dropping their D700 price to £1499 (John Lewis and Currys) but none in stock anywhere.

Thanks - will look into the SB910. A friend is willing to come along and be a VAL (Voice Activated Lightstand!) if required. I'll be shooting the cabaret on two nights and they will the main lights turned up for that (which will help a bit) but also taking general dancing shots and from some of the workshops.

I'll try some off camera flash at a freestyle this Sat to see how that goes.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lory when doing dance photography how do you use your flash? I usually partly bounce if the ceiling is light and not too high, but I've to cover an event next month with a massive high, black, ceiling...
    Sorry, I've been away.

I've got one each of these.. they're cheap and extremely easily transported. They're can be put on in seconds and they do the job!
    If I'm actually aiming to separate the subject from the background, then I tend to use a bare flash. And I always use rear/second curtain sync
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Oops the pics won't upload

Anyway, its a bounce reflector by Lumiquest and and small softbox for speedlight
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Yes I think I need a bounce thingy... (technical term lol) - not sure which one though!

Yes I think I need a bounce thingy... (technical term lol) - not sure which one though!
    I tried one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o04_s00_i00

complete waste of money made no differance

this works

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...ector/p1523097

Blog Entries

this is what i've got... it works a treat! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opteka-FB-50...7061888&sr=1-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Thankfully, I don't have the urge to change cameras just yet but I would like a 70-200 f2.8 is 11
    Hold onto your hats guys....

I've just got 'THE LENS'

70-200 f2.8L IS 11 USM

Will report back when I've had a good play with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Hold onto your hats guys....

I've just got 'THE LENS'

70-200 f2.8L IS 11 USM
    Fab! I'm not too jealous as my 24-70 is still all new and shiny (well not actually shiny, I'd be worried if it was). Look forward to seeing some shots with the new lens.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Lory, did you win the lottery? Or sell your body!!

Re: Leaning Photoshop ( or any photo editing software )

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    However I have notice HUGE discounts for students. While I wouldn't suggest you do this JUST to get the discount, I have been thinking about an OU digital photography course/module... which qualifies for a student card.. which qualifies for the discount. The OU course was £190 ish
    Sadly the racist OU is now charging people in England and Wales over twice as much as people in Scotland for their courses.

Commercial Operator

So that you can all afford your expensive hobby how about a few ebooks to help you use Lightroom for 1p each via google play (which has an ipad app - hoorah)

Contemplating the updgrade to v4 of lightroom but I'm not sure if the improvements justify the money.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers (Martin Evening)
    https://play.google.com/store/books/...h0aEFiejRDIl0.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Classroom in a Book (Adobe Creative Team)
    https://play.google.com/store/books/...ZDWUtpWEFDIl0.

Photoshop Lightroom: From Snapshots to Great Shots, Covers Lightroom 4 (Jeff Revell)
    https://play.google.com/store/books/...hWRm50ZUVDIl0.

It'd be lunacy to not buy them at that price - but I'm a lunatic: Are they DRM encumbered? Can I download them, store them on my hard drive, read them on any device I choose?

Oddly the main issue is that Google Play's web based reader isn't great, and I'd rather use standard eBook tools on my laptop, plus I don't want Google knowing when I'm reading a book or which one it is. Told you I'm a lunatic

Ok, I went for it.

Let's just say that naturally I wouldn't break any UK laws, and only found http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2...books-and-drm/ because of my general curiousity about the Python programming language.

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    Contemplating the updgrade to v4 of lightroom but I'm not sure if the improvements justify the money.
    the improved brush alone, is worth every penny

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Lory, did you win the lottery? Or sell your body!!

Thread Information