Thread: The afterglow that is SWISH

The afterglow that is SWISH

OK I know it's a bit OTT but hell,its my first hotel based weekender and review and it really was that good.
    In truth it is not practical to do a good,bad and ugly review because it would be a tad lopsided in favour of the good so lets make this one a bit observational.Of course it's all very personal to me,some of you who have been may look at it completely different but then again it doesnt appear that there are many of you that go to Swish,preferring the cheaper somewhat downmarket option offered elsewhere and I dont mean that in a derogatory way but quite frankly you can see why Potters are a thriving year long business when others appear to be struggling.
    Sorry I digress,back on track.
    First impressions on arrival.Very imposing hotel,neat,tidy and clean and very modern looking.Reception was efficient and hassle free and the neat,tidy,clean and modern theme runs thro the place from front to back.
    The accomodation was excellent.Nice clean bedlinen and exceptional facilities.
    To be fair some of our friends did complain that their chalets were cold but we struck lucky,ours was warm,no,I am doing it an injustice,it was hot.
    If there had to be a downside it would have to be the fact that we were some way from the main complex-which doesnt help when your feet and knees are so painful that they appear to want to stop working.
    In fact there was only one other row of chalets behind us and on a weekend that was both b****y cold and wet the fact that the chalet was so hot kind of made up for the long cold and sometimes wet walk,but only at that point when you open the door and the warmth hits you.
    The food was excellent.Now,I like my food and for me the choice,variety,quality and quantity was right up my street.I have to give a mention to the pancakes and fillings.My Sunday rasberry,cherry filling and chocolate sauce was delicious.
    My wife who is a vegetarian was quite happy with her choices albeit a little limited.
    So accomodation wise it was a big plus.It could be argued that you would expect nothing less from a modern hotel but the chalet's (well ours anyway)mirrored the quality of the hotel and for the little amount of time I spent it,I have no complaints.
    So thats all my creature comforts satisfied.What about the dance/music.Did that hit the button at all?
    You bet your life it did.
    Most of my time was spent in the main room which I think is my level-I would love to feel comfortable in the chill room but it doesnt seem to be me,but maybe more of that later.
    The main room,which was quite large and coped well with the numbers had a sound system that a dj like myself would die for-loud and lots of base-bl**dy heaven.The tracks were normal main room eclectic Ceroc fare.Well I say normal,most of them were but some of these guys(and gals,not forgetting Tiggerbabe) slip in little gems that irritate the hell out of me because I neither have them or know what they are called.And I Want Them.
    I think the track of the weekend would possibly be Dirty Dancer by Enrique Thingwychig and if I had to pick a set that hit the button more than any other it would be Mas on Sunday night.His best button pushing track for both my wife and I was Rise by Safri Duo.You can probably guess why I am a main room man rather than chill out zone person.Loud,lots of base and relatively fast.I know,at my age I ought to think about slowing down but how am I going to work off three big meals a day if I dont move my butt.
    The Chill room and Karaoke Bar were nice rooms with relatively small dance floors but they seemed to cope ok on the occasions I ventured in there.
    The Chill room was where the Sack the DJ slots were played but as this was a dining area for a number of people the 8.00 slot was wasted because they were still serving dinner and the DJ(it had to be me didn't it) was asked to turn it down twice.What a waste of a four Mackie sound system.Ugh!!
    The Karaoke bar was not used in the main by dancers but it was a good drinking hole that was also the place to be at about midnight when they had another meal for you just in case you might have thought that a break of longer than 6 hours between dinner and breakfast was too much!!!!
    The Karaoke competion was won by a very good singer,Dave,who had the opportunity to sing his song in the evening theatre show,which incidently were very good and well received.
    Classes.I only did 4 over the weekend.It wasn't planned that way but I realised that if I tried to dance all day and night I wouldn't be doing myself any favours.My legs and particularly my feet just cant make the distance these days.
    I opted to do the first one of the weekend which was one with Tim Sant,whose energy and enthusiasm and teaching style were very refreshing.Its a shame I can only remember half of the lesson.Thank goodness I bought the dvd.Thats another reason I only opted for 4 lessons.
    The other three lessons were strictly first time lessons in WCS,Blues and Tango.First of all let me say that I would have felt more at ease doing the WCS/Blues with a fixed partner.I struggled to a degree and felt uncomfortable and slightly intimidated.The Tango I did with my wife and we seemed to cope quite well and I did enjoy it and I actually remember all the moves.Marc and Rachel took this class and made it clear and concise.Enjoyed it.
    The teaching in general was very clear and slick and it is so nice to see so many young people teaching dance.Their ability and energy is a joy to watch and if I can be forgiven for a ageing sexist remark,some of those young teachers and dancers are stunningly attractive people.
    I managed to introduce myself to Rachel Marc and Sheena and Dazzler.
    All in all a brilliant weekend for me and we have booked again for next year-with one small change.We have booked the chalet right outside the door of the complex.
    Sorry if I have bored the pants off you with my inane ramblings but once I got going I didnt feel like stopping.
    Ceroc weekenders dont seem to really need 'selling',they 'sell' themselves.
    Whether its up or downmarket,dear or cheap,you get what you pay for but you can rest assured whatever it is you paid you will have a weekend to remember and look back on.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The afterglow that is SWISH

Great review!

Now, how does one get booked for this event
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

click here
    Booking is on hold until Wednesday, as they were taking bookings at the weekend and will need to update availability.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

*** We were crew at this event ***

Swish is a long travel for us, the supposed 8 and a bit hours, by train, turning into almost 12 on Friday Is/was it worth it? Absolutely!

I can't comment on the rooms in the hotel, but the bungalows have everything you need: cosy, nicely furnished, comfy beds, fridge and tea/coffee making facilities, bath & shower, free towels and the bungalows are cleaned and supplies topped up on the Saturday if you want.

Swish reminds me of being on a cruise, just without the boat

I've never yet made it to breakfast, but lunch, dinner & the midnight snacks are always fab, if anything the food is too good, causing you to eat more than you really need to

The entertainment in the theatre each night is great fun and very professional and all of the Potters staff are helpful, polite and cheery.

There is huge detail in the sound and lighting and the main room was great, to DJ and dance in.
    The Blues/chill-out room is my favourite, a gorgeous venue, although the music tends to be a little more upbeat than normally played, as, for a lot of the dancers, this is their first "Blues Room". The last hour or so becoming more like we're used to at Southport or Camber.

There is lots to do if you don't want to take part in the workshops, and if you don't feel like being active; swimming, climbing, go-karting, bowling, playing volleyball then there is plenty of room everywhere for you to just chill-out and watch if you feel like it.

As everyone eats (should they want to) at the same time the whole weekend has a great feeling to it, ok so there is no 24 hour dancing, but I, personally, don't feel the weekend suffers because of this, it's just different.

I had a fab weekend, it started with a "3 men and me" tag dance on the Friday in the Blues Room - wow! Thanks guys and it just stayed at that amazing level until the last dance on Sunday night/Monday morning.

Karen, Glen and Paul do a great job. Swish is a fantastic weekend.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Just had an update from Glen and 85% of the places have already been sold, so if you are thinking about booking, I wouldn't leave it too late

For anyone interested I have just downloaded some pics in my gallery under Swish 2011

Swish 2010

I like to write these for myself and sometimes I decide to share.

I had a lovely weekend but the Sunday night was a disappointment. I will miss weekenders for this year

Swish is a very different weekender. It has been my favourite and sometimes steering the direction of my love of dancing. It is good for getting to know people better than on a standard weekend. It is not for the serious dancer. Teachers can be more available on this weekender.

The food was excellent, in fact better than last year. Our hotel room was warm and lovely. My parents had a nice time curling and air rifle shooting. Their room was cold.

The chillout room was a bit of a disappointment. After years of dancing I finally learned to notice who the DJ was as it can such an impact on a dance night for me. I noticed the very good and also the very bad. John Baker was most excellent. There were not so good DJs in the prime spots and unfortunately I could not stay so late with Kathleen pregnant so I missed the DJs planned for the later slots. Apologies, if I have offended any DJ it is just that original blues music just does not do it, there are very few people who suffer it. The room has moved on.

I am fortunate to have some good friends who are amazing dancers and it also turns out DJ’s and singers. I filled my boots with tag and more tag and dancing with my wife and friends.

I used the weekend to relax and to focus on getting more comfortable with west coast. I actually took a class. I took a west coast 2 class with Paul Harris. The class was set at a perfect level for the weekender and I learnt some good improver moves. Thanks to Paul for dancing with Kathleen, Paul looked a bit petrified to dance with Kathleen at 7 months pregnant but looked even more astounded that she could follow his lightest touch.

Thanks to Carl who also petrified of dancing with Kathleen hid in corner until Kathleen came over for a dance. After which she would finally relent to getting some rest. Carl really is a gentleman and a great dancer.

The chillout room was ruined by the heating on the Sunday night. Karen tried to sort the problem but the room never settled with large pockets of hot and cold. However, the tarantula had already destroyed the evening for me but that is another story.

Due to the beginner nature of dancers in the chillout room there was some very bad floor craft by walkers rather than dancers as they got drinks and returned to their seats. Nice people but a lack of etiquette. My worst experience was actually a west coaster using the whole of the floor, unfortunately we were dancing on a small area at the edge of the dancefloor. Fortunately, I could easily move my 7 month pregnant wife to safety and hope that learning to dance west coast does not teach me to be so inconsiderate.

Other highs.
    Sack the DJ Slot from Kev, Karaoke from Dave, a new catch phrase. Introducing Joe to tag.

That's all folks

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    Swish 2010

Due to the beginner nature of dancers in the chillout room there was some very bad floor craft by walkers rather than dancers as they got drinks and returned to their seats. Nice people but a lack of etiquette. My worst experience was actually a west coaster using the whole of the floor, unfortunately we were dancing on a small area at the edge of the dancefloor. Fortunately, I could easily move my 7 month pregnant wife to safety and hope that learning to dance west coast does not teach me to be so inconsiderate.

Steve
    Would that be the area that seemed to be the exclusive area of the tag team and their partners.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Would that be the area that seemed to be the exclusive area of the tag team and their partners.
    No this happened on the main floor in the blues room. The small square was for exclusive use of our friends but not everyone realized that.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    For anyone interested I have just downloaded some pics in my gallery under Swish 2011
    I can't seem to find these pics, can you add a link to make it easier to find. Cheers

I am not sure how to do a link Gerry but if you go to the gallery I am the last person to add photos,just click on that.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I can't seem to find these pics, can you add a link to make it easier to find. Cheers
    Go to 'photo's' on the menu bar and scroll down the the 'recently added'
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Photographs are up at cerocpics

Friday night
    We arrived late on Friday night after a 5 hour drive. Too late for dinner so had stopped at the glamorous Burger King on the way! Determined to get onto the dance floor we got ready and made it onto the main floor by about 11.30pm. Had a few dances before heading to the chill out room but was disappointed to find it pretty much deserted. The teacher crowd did come in towards the end and they were great fun to watch. Had lovely dances with Carl and Paul. Left for bed at about 3.30am.
    Must admit I went to bed on Friday night feeling a bit worried that it was not going to be a great weekend.

Rest of the weekend

Food
    I made it to breakfast every day (not sure who was more surprised – me or my other half)!!! The food throughout the weekend was absolutely brilliant and we had good company on our table. I could go on about the food all day, can’t praise it highly enough. Even my partner enjoyed it and had no problems finding something to eat despite being the fussiest eater ever!

Accommodation
    We were in bungalow accommodation. No problems for us with heating, it was toasty all weekend (we actually had to turn our radiators down). We were a bit worried when we had to drive right round the houses to park but once we got to our bungalow we realised we were a 2 minute walk from the main hotel

Entertainment
    We enjoyed the night time cabarets on the Friday and the Saturday. There were some very talented people with amazing singing voices performing alongside some fantastic dancers. There were some real comedy moments thrown in as well. The I’m a celebrity spin off had me cringing on Sunday night :S

Classes
    We both enjoyed all of the classes we went to (WCS introduction, Playtime, Blues beginners, Dips and Drops, Jiversity and Fluid Fusions)
    The two that stuck in our heads and have made it home to be practised and freestyled at our regular venue were the fluid fusions with Tim Sant and the dips and drops with Cara (Greenstreet?) We do have the DVD though so will probably try and pick up some of the other routines again at some point.

Dancing
    After a disappointing Friday it got much better J Saturday was a great atmosphere in the main room and the blues room was much busier. Managed to get my fix in both rooms before heading to bed at about 3.30am again

Sunday night was much like Saturday, a great night! Thank you to Carl Adams who was very patient with me, enjoyed chatting with Carl and Mel throughout the weekend. A lovely couple!

“The small square was for exclusive use of our friends but not everyone realized that.”
    Although I assume (hope) you are joking, this was very much how it felt both nights.
    Some dancers in this group seemed to be very much part of a closed group, ensuring that they were off the dance floor completely between tracks (presumably so they wouldn't be asked). However, I saw an equal amount from this group working the main room on the Saturday and Sunday night.
    My opinion on this is that people are perfectly entitled to sit/dance in a group with their friends and it is nobody’s fault if that whole group of friends just happen to be the top 5% of dancers in the room.

I am not at that level yet but there are still people I favour to dance with (that is not to say I won’t dance with anybody who asks me but sometimes I work the room and other times I stick to what I know).
    Steve - Assuming you are who I think you are (guessing that there weren't that many people who were 7 months pregnant at the event) can I just say your wife looked lovely. I would never have guessed that she was 7 months pregnant. Good luck with new baby

Quote Originally Posted by Welshy View Post
    Friday night
    W“The small square was for exclusive use of our friends but not everyone realized that.”
    Although I assume (hope) you are joking, this was very much how it felt both nights.
    Some dancers in this group seemed to be very much part of a closed group, ensuring that they were off the dance floor completely between tracks (presumably so they wouldn't be asked). However, I saw an equal amount from this group working the main room on the Saturday and Sunday night.
    My opinion on this is that people are perfectly entitled to sit/dance in a group with their friends and it is nobody’s fault if that whole group of friends just happen to be the top 5% of dancers in the room.

I am not at that level yet but there are still people I favour to dance with (that is not to say I won’t dance with anybody who asks me but sometimes I work the room and other times I stick to what I know).
    Steve - Assuming you are who I think you are (guessing that there weren't that many people who were 7 months pregnant at the event) can I just say your wife looked lovely. I would never have guessed that she was 7 months pregnant. Good luck with new baby
    Hello Welshy
    Thank you for the compliment to Kathleen I will pass it on. Thank you also for a nice balanced email and for the part that affected me being both observant from your perspective and understanding.

Ceroc does not allow for the reservation of dance floor so yes this was a joke. Given the choice, would I have reserved the area to provide a safe place for Kathleen to dance where I could relax from bad floor craft or collisions then yes I would have taken that.

I can understand how things look from another perspective. I am blessed with some great friends and dancers. Swish is a different weekend, my priorities for the weekend were to keep Kathleen safe and make her feel beautiful and confident and hence keeping her dancing. My next priorities were making my mostly non dancing parents happy and finally filling my boots with dancing with my friends for my only weekender of the year.

Meanwhile, I delayed two offers of dances, one due to tiredness and another to watch Kathleen dance west coast with Paul Harris, a dance that I had ask for. As far as I could tell none of the group declined any dances. Personally, I live in the chill out room. Usually I would prefer the beautiful wooden floor of that lovely room but mostly kept to where I felt it was most safe.
    Personally, I chased the dances that I wanted for either myself or Kathleen or in fact the people I was playing tag with.

My best advice is that if you want a dance then go get it.

Steve

Thread Information